Out Of Command

From the first clash at Manassas to the epic confrontation between Lee and Grant, the Brother Against Brother series will bring new levels of historical detail and realism to the battles of the Civil War. This regimental-level game, created by the developers of the award-winning Forge of Freedom, builds on that game’s acclaimed tactical engine, adding scrupulously researched orders of battle, high-quality map graphics, command and control rules reflecting the numerous challenges faced by army commanders, and plenty other features. Beginning with The Drawing of The Sword – which recreates the pivotal opening battles at Manassas , Wilson ’s Creek, Mill Springs and Williamsburg – Brother Against Brother lets you refight the Civil War from start to finish.

Moderators: Gil R., ericbabe

genehaynes

Out Of Command

Post by genehaynes »

Just started playing again.

During the starter scenario, playing as the Union, the 5th Wisconsin Hancock's Brigade) went Out of Command even though it was within Hancock's command radius. I moved the 5th Wisconsin within 2 hexes of Hancock, but it was still marked OOC. What am I missing? I thought for a unit to be "in command" all they needed to do was be in the command range of their Brigade Commander.
shoelessbivouac

RE: Out Of Command

Post by shoelessbivouac »

ORIGINAL: genehaynes

Just started playing again.

During the starter scenario, playing as the Union, the 5th Wisconsin Hancock's Brigade) went Out of Command even though it was within Hancock's command radius. I moved the 5th Wisconsin within 2 hexes of Hancock, but it was still marked OOC. What am I missing? I thought for a unit to be "in command" all they needed to do was be in the command range of their Brigade Commander.

As per Section 6.10 of the Manual:

"Units and groups that are out-of-command can be recognized by the “(OOC)”
after their name in the Unit Roster display. This problem of OOC units is easily
anticipated: you can click on the Command Radius Toggle – the small, circular
button just above a commander’s portrait – in order to see all the hexes that are
within the commander’s command radius marked on the map with a red outline,
revealing where the commander’s subordinate commanders (or brigades, for a
brigadier commander) should move in order to remain in command."

So, be sure to double check the Unit Roster display before continuing.

However, I can find nothing under Rule 9.3 - Zone of Control - that confirms (one way or the other) the effect of an enemy ZOC on one's own commander's command radius. Perhaps, Gil (or other) will provide a heretofore unwritten game manual clarification?
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours --R. Bach
genehaynes

Post by genehaynes »

Shoeless,

Yep, re-read that section of the manual. However, as I said in my original post, I moved the OOC unit within 2 hexes of the Brigade commander and the unit was still OOC. I'm thinking maybe it has something to with morale. The manual seems to indicate that all you have to do to keep a unit "in command" is make sure the unit is in the command radius of their superior unit.
shoelessbivouac

Post by shoelessbivouac »

Yes, perhaps, the BAB programmer has implemented a heretofore undocumented "Inebriated Brigadier" rule that never got into the manual, which recreates the occasional impediment to command and control that some brigadiers on occasion visibly suffered from due to excessive imbibing on the battlefield? The problem with this one of many possible theories is that an intoxicated commander would prefer to remain far behind with the supply wagons where it was much safer to exercise 'command'.
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours --R. Bach
genehaynes

Post by genehaynes »

Shoeless,

I'll drink to that:)

Return to “Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword”