Question about defensive stance- Keeps going back to attack Stance

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Johnnythefifthenth

Question about defensive stance- Keeps going back to attack Stance

Post by Johnnythefifthenth »

I am having an issue with defensive stances -

The problem I am having : It switches back to attack stance once I turn on automation (hit the A key on the fleet)

1. I assign the fleet a home base.

2 I Put the defensive stance on

3. I do the range no matter what range I do it all goes back to attack stance upon hitting A

4. I turn on automation for the fleet - it goes to attack stance

Basically I cannot get it to stay on defensive stance with the fleet automation on. It almost instantly goes back into attack stance as soon as I automate that fleet with no mission before or after. Is this a setting somewhere that is messed up? Am I doing it wrong? does it only work for certain ranges? (even though I tried all ranges it all does the same thing)

As an edit when I say stance I mean posture lol Sorry my english not good
Retreat1970

RE: Question about defensive stance- Keeps going back to attack Stance

Post by Retreat1970 »

Do you have fleet formation automated?
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

Having fleet formation automated will give the AI control of the fleet when the fleet is on auto. The AI always picks an attack stance. For full control of fleets switch to manual control.
Johnnythefifthenth

Post by Johnnythefifthenth »

ORIGINAL: Retreat1970

Having fleet formation automated will give the AI control of the fleet when the fleet is on auto. The AI always picks an attack stance. For full control of fleets switch to manual control.

Thank you so much!! [X(][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][X(][X(][:D][:D]
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

No problem.
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

The AI always picks an attack stance.
This isn't exactly true. If you have a large enough space navy with enough stuff under the computer's control while automated fleet formation is active, the computer will sometimes put fleets on defensive posture and station them at a system, but it typically only does so with smaller fleets and relatively valuable systems (at least as far as I can tell from my rather limited experience with automated fleet formation active, which basically amounts to about as long as it takes for me to notice that it's on and then turn it off, and 'valuable' in this case means 'high population and a large spaceport' if my memory is correct), and if I recall correctly the computer tends to prefer setting fleets to defend regions rather than individual systems.

Of course, it doesn't really matter for the purpose of this thread, since if automated fleet formation is set it's pretty unlikely for the computer to leave an automated fleet the way the player set that fleet up.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

I didn't know that. I've always seen them in attack postures. Good to know.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”