Goodbye to AE

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

wwengr

RE: Goodbye to AE

Post by wwengr »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: General Patton

Sorry, but When you get involved with AE, there is no leaving the family.. There's only one way out. [:D] It's the same with mob families.[:D]....GP
So that means we have a Godfather!?? [8D]

Is it .... Alfred??? Nemo??? Nominations, please! [:)]
Is Terminus still on? If so, I nominate him for Luca Brasi.
I have been inputting my orders for the campaign game first turn since July 4, 2009. I'm getting close. In another month or two, I might be able to run the turn!
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

A fair number of old timers leave and then, years later, return. In recent times, Q-Ball, Grotius, and AU Tiger come to mind. But these three (and others) stuck their toes back in the water and soon vanished again. Here's hoping, though, that vanished old timers will return and rediscover the pleasure of this game. :)

Three of my earliest opponents - dating to UV days - are still active: John III, Miller and Admiral Dadman.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Sorry, but When you get involved with AE, there is no leaving the family.. There's only one way out. [:D] It's the same with mob families.[:D]....GP

Actually I would say it's more like denizens of a crack den. Some people try to get off the stuff, but most come back eventually. [:D]

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
catwhoorg

Post by catwhoorg »

many many days playing UFO: Enemy Unknown (as XCOM was when it was released in the UK).

One of my close friends at Uni at I tag teamed a whole weekend non-stop from starting a game to the final battle in the wee small hours of the Monday.
NigelKentarus

Post by NigelKentarus »

My rig isn't good enough for Skyrim, so I split my time between Oblivion and THE game! (That's how my wife refers to AE, and not in a good way)
Fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the plank to Noah's ark. And brother, it's starting to rain.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, ...

Anachro

Post by Anachro »

For some reason the thread title reminds me of Robert Graves' Goodbye to All That.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
fulcrum28

Post by fulcrum28 »

I'm sure that he will suffer from AE "home sick" soon :)
The most comprehensive website on the IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Y:"Let us enjoy the beauty of the moon (sinking aboard Hiryu)
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: NigelKentarus

My rig isn't good enough for Skyrim, so I split my time between Oblivion and THE game! (That's how my wife refers to AE, and not in a good way)

If you can run Oblivion you should be able to run Skyrim, more or less. On Steam sales it's down to about $5 for the base game. I played both and Skyrim is an order of magnitude better and larger than Oblivion.
The Moose
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Actually I would say it's more like denizens of a crack den. Some people try to get off the stuff, but most come back eventually. [:D]

Bill

I am NOT "cracked"...I prefer Mad magazine!

Banzan

Post by Banzan »

There is no leaving, there are only small distractions. :)
koniu

Post by koniu »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

Hello to XCOM 2 [:)]

Sorry boys and girls but I only have so much time for games (and still play more than I should according to my wife [:)])

I played the 2012 XCOM's through twice [X(]. And XCOM 2 is even better (and harder). So if you like turn based tactical combat games, this one is hard to beat.

And at the rate I have to retry missions, its going to take me a while to finish this. I've got 60 hours in and feel like I have not gotten very far. [:(]
Very good game.
I am currently in middle of XCOM(2012) with Long War mod and i love it.
I will wait with XCOM 2 few months. To expensive for me right now
"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

I am NOT "cracked"...I prefer Mad magazine!

Funny, one of my old coworkers said yesterday that she just re-upped her subscription to Mad. I didn't know it still existed.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

X-Coms I and II were great, but I didn't care for III.

I have no idea what games you're finding on Steam with a 2012 date, but you all DO know don't you the X-Coms are DOS games from the early 90s?

witpqs alluded to that in his post on page one.
Hans

Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

I believe there is a brand new X-com coming out on Steam. I keep getting pop ups on it.

<Edit>

Yeah, here it is
"XCOM 2 is the sequel to the award-winning strategy game, XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Twenty years have passed since humanity lost the war against the alien invaders and a new world order now exists on Earth. After years of lurking in the shadows, XCOM forces must rise and eliminate the alien occupation."
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
jamesjohns

Post by jamesjohns »

Is Xcom series a first-person shooter type game or is it a strategy type game? Looked at website but couldn't figure out which it was?
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

The straight dope on X-Com:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-COM

X-Com 2 is Terror from the Deep and was my favorite of the series.

Released by Microprose in 1995.
Hans

Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Yep. not arguing. Just pointing out...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/268500/

"XCOM 2 is the sequel to the award-winning strategy game, XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Twenty years have passed since humanity lost the war against the alien invaders and a new world order now exists on Earth. After years of lurking in the shadows, XCOM forces must rise and eliminate the alien occupation."

New game. Old title.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Sorry, but that one wasn't called XCOM 2. It was XCOM: Terror From the Deep.

I played the original, Deep, and Apocalypse, then the series went dark. I re-played the original in Windows XP with an emulator, but they never got the mouse drivers right. I played it about two years ago under Win7 with DosBox and it was pristine. But not as much fun as I remembered.

The current re-imaginings are far better games, both in graphics and sound, but also IMO certain design elements. You only have one base, but it is highly configurable. You don't have to fiddle with ammo clips anymore. And whole new pieces have been added, like mechs and new psychic upgrades.

I've been watching the newest one which launched about 2-3 weeks ago., It's still fully priced on Steam at $60. I'm still on Fallout 4, so there's no hurry. But once the new XCOM comes down, maybe this summer, I'll be playing it.
The Moose
wwengr

Post by wwengr »

Crackhead wwengr here
I have been inputting my orders for the campaign game first turn since July 4, 2009. I'm getting close. In another month or two, I might be able to run the turn!

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”