DCCB German Unit Colors?

Post new mods here.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

DonCzirr

DCCB German Unit Colors?

Post by DonCzirr »

Sorry if I missed this but did not see any threads so far ...

Does anyone have a mod to use DCCB unit colors for the German units?

The Barbarossa units look ok but I far prefer the darker versions from Case Blue.

Perhaps there is a way to copy some old DCCB graphical assets over without breaking the game?
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
Philippeatbay

RE: DCCB German Unit Colors?

Post by Philippeatbay »

Not something you can mod, I'm afraid. They're not really graphic assets.

You could change that sort of thing in the earlier games, but only through the editor where you could set the color values.

If it were moddable I would have adjusted the color of the Finnish units to a lighter shade to help my swallowtail flag stand out a bit more clearly.

I rather like the current color of the German units, and much prefer it to the darker DCCB shade. But your mileage may vary depending on your video card.

Remember that perceived color values change depending on what background colors they are offsetting.

In art school there's a famous exercise where you put swatches of a given color against different colored backgrounds to see how the eye perceives them differently. You can try this at home: put something that's light green against a dark background, and then put it against a yellow background. It won't look like the same color even though it is.

The unit color of your dreams may look good against the current terrain colors, but if you ever adopt a terrain mod they might look terrible.

That's why it's usually a good idea to go with the modder's (or game designer's) terrain color and unit color combinations.

DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

Thanks for the information Philippe.

I am using Der Kuenstler's map mod with the blue water graphics added back in.

The German colors for me are ok but I do still prefer the old version from DC CB.

If anyone going forward can think of some way to alter that - would be appreciative of the info ...

ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Actually they are modable, you just need to enable the "keys of doom", that is the Advanced Editor.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

Actually they are modable, you just need to enable the "keys of doom", that is the Advanced Editor.

Thanks Ernie ... although after that description, I am a bit wary to touch it [;)]

SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

How do you access the Advanced Editor? I was thinking of playing around with the counter colors.
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

About six months ago I made a serious attempt at modding the unit colors, but found that the program had a mind of its own when it came to displaying colors. I may not have understood something very fundamental, but changing the numerical color values seemed to have an almost random influence over the output. I may try again at some point, but the editing program's lack of predictable responsiveness to input was incredibly frustrating. This is a shame, because the counter colors in the game need work. The base color of Hugo's division is different from all the other German ones, the Finnish shade of blue is too dark for the swallowtail Finnish warflag, and the color choices for the Hungarians, Romanians, and Italians are far from the best. I had also been hoping to do something about making a separate regime for the Slovakians.

Return to “Mods”