Tale of the Sheep! - JocMeister (A) vs. Lowpe (J)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Bullwinkle58

RE: Canada and India invaded!

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

I prefer the suicide steal. You'd better have that one figured out with your batter ahead of time, or you might end up with a face full of bat.

Or a interference with the catcher call.
The Moose
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Haha, I really don´t understand half of this! [:D]
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I love baseball but I don't understand half of it. :)
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Haha, I really don´t understand half of this! [:D]
The great Yogi Berra said that baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical.
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I love baseball but I don't understand half of it. :)

Good to hear! [:D]
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

I prefer the suicide steal. You'd better have that one figured out with your batter ahead of time, or you might end up with a face full of bat.

Only if you collide on purpose... the onus is on the catcher nowadays anyway.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

I thought the base runner had to avoid the fielder? Dunno. Remember lots of World Series controversy is all.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I thought the base runner had to avoid the fielder? Dunno. Remember lots of World Series controversy is all.

The catcher is now obligated to provide a free path to the plate, unless moving to catch the ball (supposedly thrown in from the field) takes him into the path of the runner.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

The catcher is now obligated to provide a free path to the plate, unless moving to catch the ball (supposedly thrown in from the field) takes him into the path of the runner.

My point was on the hitter interfering with the catcher's ability to get to the incoming runner.
The Moose
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

I understand less and less of this for each sentence. [:D]
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

You probably understand American vs British English better than I do. Decades ago I went to Bergen, Norway for a weekend while working in northern England (installing machines to build computer chips). I understood the locals very easily versus those in England. You are now getting educated on American baseball phrases which are totally strange to you. [&:] I just need someone to explain to me what the hell cricket is and how its played. [:D]
[center]Image[/center]
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

My point was on the hitter interfering with the catcher's ability to get to the incoming runner.

Ah. I guess I should have specified whether left-handed or right-handed hitter.

I've actually considered doing it against some of the pitchers in my league. Almost everybody throws from the windup in certain situations with a runner on third, and my team is about 75% left-handed or switch hitters, including myself (gotta love Japanese baseball players). We don't use signals at all, but I would definitely want one for this situation. I really don't want a face full of bat.
traskott

Post by traskott »

Good AAR, been reading it for 2 days and it's very interesting!. Good luck in Dacca :)
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

I've actually considered doing it against some of the pitchers in my league. Almost everybody throws from the windup in certain situations with a runner on third, and my team is about 75% left-handed or switch hitters, including myself (gotta love Japanese baseball players). We don't use signals at all, but I would definitely want one for this situation. I really don't want a face full of bat.

As only about 10% of humans are left-handed many/most who show up for baseball are steered into pitching if they have an interest. And as I'm an AL guy they don't bat, so I see relatively fewer left-handed hitters than you do. I've never looked at stats on switch-hitting between the leagues.
The Moose
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: traskott

Good AAR, been reading it for 2 days and it's very interesting!. Good luck in Dacca :)

Thanks! [:)]

Updates have been pretty sporadic lately. Hopefully it will get more frequent in the future. Especially when Jeffs other game finishes.

Pretty confident about Dacca. More worried about the North! [:)]
poodlebrain

Post by poodlebrain »

The north will become a tar baby for the Japanese when you are successful at Dacca, and pose a threat to Chittagong. A fighting withdrawal without secure supply lines won't be much fun.

You can try and suck more of his forces north as you try to withdraw from Ledo.
Never trust a man who's ass is wider than his shoulders.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

As only about 10% of humans are left-handed many/most who show up for baseball are steered into pitching if they have an interest. And as I'm an AL guy they don't bat, so I see relatively fewer left-handed hitters than you do. I've never looked at stats on switch-hitting between the leagues.

Of the 10 or so lefty/switch hitters on my team of about 15, only 2 are "true" lefties (also throw left). The rest grew up playing the Japanese style - think Ichiro. Batting lefty has two distinct advantages: most pitchers are righty, and you're 1.5 steps closer to first base. There's a third advantage that comes into play at my level, which is that pitchers see left-handed hitters less frequently than right-handed, so may be uncomfortable pitching to you and are therefore more likely to not do as well.

I don't know if they play cricket in Sweden, but I've seen it played around here. There are a few cricket fields (terminology?) in a park a couple of miles from my house, actually.

But uh... back to the war? [:'(]
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: poodlebrain

The north will become a tar baby for the Japanese when you are successful at Dacca, and pose a threat to Chittagong. A fighting withdrawal without secure supply lines won't be much fun.

You can try and suck more of his forces north as you try to withdraw from Ledo.

Yeah, I´m very happy about Japanese moving North. [:)]

There is even a slim chance I can hold there. 2 Indian IDs (around 50 EXP) + 3 Indian BDEs and a half strength armored BDE. Even have some arty. What is left of the RAF will try and rough the Japanese up a bit but its mostly for recon.

If he has 2 IDs it will be touch and go...if more I´ll end up with some mauled Indian units. [:D]
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

PS. Got a heads up from Jeff a turn is coming tonight. [:)]
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

[font="Verdana"]India 26th August 1942[/font]

Nothing to report in other theaters so will stick to India for now. Managed to get two turns done since the last update.

Our poor defenders at Ledo finally fell. They held out for way, way longer then I could ever hope.
Ground combat at Ledo (65,38)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 38247 troops, 489 guns, 192 vehicles, Assault Value = 839

Defending force 11712 troops, 78 guns, 41 vehicles, Assault Value = 221

Japanese adjusted assault: 408

Allied adjusted defense: 65

Japanese assault odds: 6 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Ledo !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
491 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 32 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled
Vehicles lost 3 (1 destroyed, 2 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
5637 casualties reported
Squads: 211 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 232 destroyed, 17 disabled
Engineers: 30 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 28 (28 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 41 (40 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Units retreated 9
Units destroyed 3

Quite amazingly it looks like Jeff is pursuing the defenders we at least a good portion of his troops! Good news for me. [:)]

In the center it looks like Jeff has spotted the danger and is abandoning Rajshashi. The 23rd Indian will liberate it while the center will push fast to secure the Rangpur area (the dot base on the rail 3 hexes NE of the Center Force). Armor and TDs will push ahead.

In the South the movement out of Dacca is deemed a ruse and Allied forces start moving directly for the base. Armor will move SE to cut the rail to Dacca and possible grab Comilla. If successful any reinforcements for Dacca will have a long way to walk.

The RAF and USAAF relocate to the newly constructed level 9 AF at Calcutta. I´ll try and nibble at some LRCAP if I can. Made a mistake and let the "R" BBs refuel at Colombo (forgot to switch to "Do not refuel". They of course instantly drained the fuel there. Had to divert the rest of the fleet to mainland India to refuel.

The Navy will start applying pressure here shortly. Force Z will lead the way together with the British CAs. I have a huge fondness for those guys. Quite to opposite to my feelings towards USN CAs...

Coming 2-3 weeks will be very important. Hopefully the Allies can prevail. [:)]

PS. Japanese troops strength is not confirmed but rather an estimate.

Attachments
India43.jpg
India43.jpg (872.95 KiB) Viewed 28 times

Return to “After Action Reports”