Starting a new game

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Powloon

Starting a new game

Post by Powloon »

I'm just about to start an AI campaign game as the axis. What would people recommend as a good set of options to pick for a challenging game (I'm not a complete noob but haven't played for a while and have a lot to relearn)?

Secondly what do people tend to pick for their air doctrine figures and why?
Denniss

RE: Starting a new game

Post by Denniss »

I'd start learning again with a Road to ... scenario to get your feeling back and/or train opening moves. Within the next two weeks we expect to have 1.08.08 as public Beta, I won't start a new campaign without.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
No idea

Post by No idea »

Regarding the set of options, if you havent played for a while, I think +1 soviet attack bonus but mild blizzard is the best. Play Alt CV campaign, because it is much easier to tell your chances in a fight than without it.
ç
Regarding air doctrines, except for the first turn, when I set the minimum % of planes to do a mission at 5%, (during second turn I change it to 50% again) I dont bother with it. Leave it at their initial figures.
Commanderski

Post by Commanderski »

When playing against the Soviet AI this will give you a pretty good fight. You may want to wait until the new patch comes out before starting a new campaign. Hopefully it will be out very soon. My air doctrine varies, I'm sure some other responses will give a definitive answer on that.

Morale = 110
Fort Level = 120
Logistics = 110
Transport = 110
Admin = 120
Powloon

Post by Powloon »

Thanks for the replies! I opened a new game last night and tried to fight down the feeling of being overwhelmed by the scale of the game [:)]

Another random question do squadrons with planes damaged repair faster in Reserve or is it entirely dependant on the support level at the airbase?
No idea

Post by No idea »

ORIGINAL: Powloon

Thanks for the replies! I opened a new game last night and tried to fight down the feeling of being overwhelmed by the scale of the game [:)]

Another random question do squadrons with planes damaged repair faster in Reserve or is it entirely dependant on the support level at the airbase?

I dont know if they repair faster at reserve (I guess they should, but I dont know) however, support level has nothign to see with what it seems to mean. Support level is the number of squadrons the AI will try to keep in a given airbase. For example, if you give an airbase a support level of 5, the game will try to keep 5 "squadrons" in that airbase (have in mind from time to time "squadrons" automatically go to reserve due to losses, the AI will then try to give a new squadron to that airbase to keep it at 5. You can indirectly rule which kind of squadrons automatically go to which airbases meddling with the "range" option next to "support level")
Powloon

Post by Powloon »

Sorry for being unclear by support level I meant support squads.

Basically I am assuming that as long as the number of support squads is greater than needed support squads that planes repair at a "normal" rate and if it is not sufficient the game penalises repair speed. I just wondered if there was any advantage to sending damaged air units back to the reserve other than they are invulnerable to attack such as do they repair faster / gain morale faster?
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

What setting would be recommended for PBEM two newish players who have done several scn ( 4 ) and this will be the first campaign... thanks guys
Hermann

Post by Hermann »

go with the don to Danube scenarios the game sets you up pretty much evenly matched with a lot of options and flexibility
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

Hermann,
yes we are playing scn - I was asking about settings for the campaign.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”