The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Canoerebel

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by Canoerebel »

ORIGINAL: poodlebrain

What morale and experience levels do your defenders have at Langsa and Sabang? What sort of leaders do you have? These might be difference makers between holding out for 40 days and 90 days.

The US Army divisions have decent experience, low fatigue, good morale and excellent leaders. There are four divisions - Americal (currently broken into RCT), 27th, 32 and 36th (the latter two numbers going from memory).

There is 1st US Marines with Archer Vandergrift in command. An excellent unit with '43 squads now, though really badly roughed up in earlier combat. AV is back to about 250 now.

There is an Indian unit of decent experience and good leadership.

There is 18th UK Division, but it was divided up to help garrison various islands and is now pretty weak.

Right now, I think John has at least six divisions committed in Sumatra with at least two more inbound and perhaps four to six up in Burma. I think with good terrain and supply and good prep, the Allies might tie up a fair number of enemy divisions in Sumatra for a long time to come. If the enemy troops are badly disrupted in amphibious landings, all the better.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Any plans to reinforce on the ground in the near future? Anything available?

Any chance you can switch the 18th for any of the weaker US divisions? Its a shame having them on garrison. Its a really good division. [:)]
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

There is 1st US Marines with Archer Vandergrift in command. An excellent unit with '43 squads now, though really badly roughed up in earlier combat. AV is back to about 250 now.
If they are at Sabang with all that supply, their recovery will be even quicker.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

1st Marines were in Sabang for weeks, recovering nicely. But I moved them out on the road to an intermediary hex between Sabang and Langsa. They were to dig in to create a strong roadblock in the event of a setback at Langsa, but they're also an emergency response unit for Sabang.

As for 18th Division, that horse left the barn a long time ago. Elements were parceled out to a variety of islands. Most of those elements have since been wiped out by John's counterattack. The last outpost on an island near Phuket will go soon. 18th Div. won't be a major player.

One interesting aspect to this is John's "body language" - primarily his rate of flipping turns and making posts to his AAR. His body language suggests that nothing major is up short term. Ordinarily, he'd be fully engaged if he had a major operation underway. So I'm curious to see what's going to happen here.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

In good terrain, with excellent supply and very good forts, he's going to need a lot more than he can afford to kick you out.

Let him come, it just accelerates his defeat.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

3/7/43

Another day in the rocks by the wagon trail without a sign of settlers or troopers. Pronghorn antelope had come near - so close that he pulled his pistol from his belt. He'd never heard of anyone using a pistol to bring down an antelope, but he was thought it might be possible if one came close enough. The big question was whether he could afford to chance the sound of a pistol shot traveling across the prairie to the ears of those who wanted to kill him.

Battle of Sumatra: The clouds are still gathering, but the storm hasn't broken loose yet. No sign of immediate invasion, though SigInt again reports 2nd Tank Div. aboard marus bound for Langsa.

Enemy bombers concentrate fully on Langsa, as they have for the past three or four days. I wonder if John will bring the Kongos this way to coincide with the invasion (I would). He has the balancing act of needing to keep Sabang suppressed, so perhaps he won't feel like he has the luxury of dealing with Langsa in that way. I hope that's the case.

Enemy minesweepers did a big work at Sabang today, clearing nearly 150 mines. The field is down in the lower 700s now. At this rate, the port will be clear in a week. Nothing I can do about that now, and the field has served very well already.

One division of KB is NE of Sabang, towards Port Blair. The other isn't sighted today but should be nearby.

SWPac: Peanut One, Peanut Two and Peanut Three look good. Peanut One, in fact, has already achieved Check One Status and is closing on Check Two.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Encircled
Let him come, it just accelerates his defeat.

I doubt that logic. Not doing anything here will accelerate his defeat.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

3/8/43

Battle of Sumatra: No sign of enemy amphibious ships approaching Langsa. And suddenly SigInt is quiet. John may be running a ruse with the intention of targeting Sabang.

At Sabang, enemy minesweepers work overtime. Mine numbers down to 400+. The field will be clear in just three days at this rate. The mines did claim a MSW.

No sign of Kongos. Bombers target only Langsa. The IJA stack of three divisions a hex south of Langsa bombard, doing self-inflicted damage. John's trying to get a feel for what's there.

SWPac: SigInt and base levels continue to show that the arc from Java to New Britain has lots of holes and weaknesses. The Allies have been prepping and moving ships and troops for many weeks now. The biggest bottleneck is PP. I need at about 60 days to accumulate enough to buy out two or three restricted divisions in Oz. Also, the unrestricted Aussie divisions in India (the ones roughed up in the Burma campaign) are probably 60 days from Oz, perhaps longer. Ideally, I wouldn't want to move until around July to maximize new carriers and bought-out troops. But it's equally important to move while John is still focusing on Sumatra. I don't know if the two needs/opportunities will overlap enough to allow the moves I'm planning. We'll see. Probably the soonest I could move would be about 75 days out. Late May. And I don't know if that's realistic really.

But it is March 8. The clock is ticking.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

3/9/43

Battle of Sumatra: While most red-blooded American males are watching the Super Bowl, John and I have been flipping turns.

I remain uncertain as to which port John is going to attack. No invasion activity this turn. SigInt does show a maru with part of 2nd Tank Div. inbound to Langsa. Bombers are still focusing on that base. But minesweepers are still focusing on Sabang and have reduced that field to just 100 mines now (another MSW took a hit). The field should be clear tomorrow. Stricken DD Cushing safely made it out of port and looks to be in the clear on the trip to Colombo. The ground troops in Sumatra look good. Supply looks good at least for the balance of the month. KB is between Sabang and Victoria Point - why? I dunno.

No Kongos today. John's changed up the cycle. Here to, I don't know why.

The ball is entirely in John's court since it's this early in March. But the days are ticking by. The day when the Allies can renew activity in Sumatra is drawing closer though still at least three weeks off (sooner, though, if the KB pulls out to refuel).

Very tense. I really don't know whether John will try for Langsa or Sabang. I hope it's the former.
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Got any subs at Colombo which can drop a few mines at Sabang?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

I doubt that logic. Not doing anything here will accelerate his defeat.

John has to try to kick him out, but its not going to be done overnight, and the time taken I'm sure will be used very productively by CR!
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Got any subs at Colombo which can drop a few mines at Sabang?

Sure, but it won't do any good. John's MSWs are sweeping 100+ mines every turn.

I can drop mines when I again have ships at Sabang. I can insert ships when I can again have air cover. I can have air cover when the KB retires.

...and the irony is that I want the KB to remain in place for a long time to come.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

3/10/43

Battle of Sumatra: Dark days in some ways; not so dark in others. Today is D + 120. The three Kongos return and hammer the airfield, essentially shutting it down. Japanese minesweepers eliminate the field at Sabang. The KB is posted between Sabang and Victoria Point. No sign of imminent invasion, though SigIn again reveals lots of marus with 2nd Tank Div. heading for Langsa (plus 14th Div. prepping for Sabang).

I don't know if the move will come sooner or later. The later the better. But I'm thinking in terms of weeks. John may be acting in days.

Supply and infantry condition remain good. I think the Allies can fight for weeks. But I need them to fight for months.

SWPac: Frantic activity behind the scenes (as has been the case since we resumed the game) as I try to get troops and ships in place to move while Sumatra still has John's undivided attention. It won't do any good to open a second front if the first front is vanquished in the meantime. It would be excellent to open a second front today since the full KB and most of John's army is tied down in Sumatra (and Burma). But I can't open a second front until I have multiple divisions bought out. That takes PP. And PP take time to accumulate. So I bid my time while looking anxiously at Sumatra and prepositioning ships, troops, and supply as best I can.

Long ago the decision was made to open the second front in either Java or in the New Britain/Admiralties/North coast New Guinea areas. SigInt and base building activity (non-activity) show lots of gaps and weaknesses. My preference is Java: (1) mutually supporting with Sumatra for transferring air back and forth; (2) right in the enemy's vitals; (3) close to major bases in SW Oz that have been built large now with vast amounts of supply; (4) able to shift ships back and forth from India area quickly; (5) if necessary, can shift to New Britain relatively quickly.

To invade Java, I need six divisions at a minimum; preferably eight (or more). Currently in Oz I have 2nd Marine Div., a US Army Div. and three restricted Oz divisions (I have enough PP to buy out one). Three unrestricted Oz divsiions are enroute from recent activity in Burma, but it will be at least 60 days before they can arrive; maybe more depending on whether I chance sending them by transport along the south edge of the map (which John hasn't patroled) or if I take a safer course and send them to Oz via Capetown). So, by the time they arrive, I should have accumulated enough PP to buy out two more restricted USA divisions.

Whether I have the luxury of that much time is highly debatable.

If Sumatra collapses to soon, the fallback will be to wait until late summer or autumn proceed with the next big move, allowing time to accumulate a massive ground force, the ships to carry them, and alot more carriers. But here's hoping Sumatra doesn't collapse.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

The best way to keep the KB local is to feed him a steady diet of low-mix merchants so he can yell "Banzai!" and reap 7 VP per. In a pinch 10VP.
The Moose
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

That's a most Nemo-like approach!

It's a good idea and worthy of consideration if things get too "dry" for too long to keep John's attention. Right now, I'm using xAK and other ships to probe the periphery of John's NavSearch from Ceylon all the way to Cocos Island and Christmas Island (IO). The point being to keep him on his toes and wary and wondering what I'm going to do.

But this involves yet another of the balancing acts involved in this monster game. I have lost alot (ALOT) of merchants and combat ships in this campaign. I look at what I have left and it makes me grimmace. (Of course, John has lost alot of combat ships too - but I'll be fighting an offensive war eventually and have nearly stripped the cupboard bare.)

I think KB's current role is 90% suppression of Allies submarines so that the Kongos can bombard at lower risk...and possibly to also provide cover for amphibious ships if John ever decides to pull the trigger (he will - I'm guessing it'll be within the week).
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Too bad you can't race some carriers in and hit him while he is attacking your subs. You might butcher his Nells in the process.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

The American carrier fighters were sacrificed on the alter of defending Sabang. Those squadrons will be rebuilt when the Hellcats come online (beginning in three weeks!).
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

The American carrier fighters were sacrificed on the alter of defending Sabang. Those squadrons will be rebuilt when the Hellcats come online (beginning in three weeks!).

I recall, which is why it is too bad you can't pull off a stunt like that.

It seems to me that his carriers are in a precarious position.

You are playing excellently, and I look forward to whatever happens next.

Very exciting.[&o]
poodlebrain

Post by poodlebrain »

Waiting to amass an overwhelming force for your second front is probably unnecessary. Landing with what you have now will be sufficient to overtax the resources he has available to respond decisively without stripping forces from the battle for Sumatra. You can reinforce for a breakout as the political points allow. All you must wait for is the F6Fs on your CVs.
Never trust a man who's ass is wider than his shoulders.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

That might be true against an inexperienced player, but not one with time under his belt. Right now, I can put together 2+ divisions. If I landed with that force on, say, Java, John wouldn't like it and it would pose a problem, but it would be too small to represent a long-term, lasting threat, and he'd know it. So he'd focus on extinquishing Sumatra and then he'd turn his attention fully to the newer threat.

Or, if I used those divisions to attack the Marshalls, John would just laugh. He'd know that he had plenty of time to attend to a threat in a non-critical area at his leisure.

The way to get John is to come at him with a big force right in the breadbasket. Java meets that criteria, but I'm going to need six or eight divisions to pose a credible (read: real) threat.

In that way the game has done a fine job. It should be VERY hard for the Allies to mount another huge invasion in this theater just four months after invading Sumatra. Think of Europe - the Allies engaged in five major amphibious operations in three years - North Africa, Sicily, Anzio, Normandy, Riviera. I recall Eisenhower commenting on how long it would take to cobble together another invasion if D-Day failed.

In the Pacific, the Allies invaded Guadalcanal. Next was Tarawa, the following year, and involving just a division or two, right?

From that perspective, mounting an invasion using 7+ infantry divisions in November of '42 represents a huge commitment and the Allies should by all rights be hampered in mounting another for quite some time.

So this feels right. And from my perspective, I'd rather do the next invasion right as opposed to trying to startle John with an undercapitalized effort in the near term.

Return to “After Action Reports”