Carriers Kido Butai and air squadrons

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

fulcrum28

Carriers Kido Butai and air squadrons

Post by fulcrum28 »

Each fleet carrier usually has three units of planes (Zero, Val, Kates), do all of you subdivide each unit into Zero (1,2), Val 1,2) and Kate (1,2) them into smaller units? does it have some benefit? or you usually play with the three units as default. I guess it may reduce the number of planes selected for each air attack.
The most comprehensive website on the IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Y:"Let us enjoy the beauty of the moon (sinking aboard Hiryu)
crsutton

RE: Carriers Kibo Butai and air squadrons

Post by crsutton »

No real benefit from dividing air units. I rarely do it. I don't like going into battle with "one boot off." [;)]
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Dividing the units might also lead you into issues with the maximum number of units on a CV (5). If those fragments are counted as units for operations purposes the carrier would not launch at all when you exceed the max.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

B and C units might end up with crap commanders.
The only time it seems reasonable to divide is TBs when you need torpedoes but not enough is left on the carrier for the full unit. So you get e.g. subunit A flying with toprs and others with bombs
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

You do not have to split the TB unit to get dual carry - the AI will load torps until it runs out and the rest of the squadron get bombs. If you set them to bombing attack altitude the TBs with torps will still descend to 200' to drop their fish.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
fulcrum28

Post by fulcrum28 »

thanks for useful comments. i understand there are no clear benefits from dividing air units in carriers.
The most comprehensive website on the IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Y:"Let us enjoy the beauty of the moon (sinking aboard Hiryu)
Dili

Post by Dili »

The only benefit is if you want to do different missions or having different altitudes.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Splitting air units on carriers is not a smart idea.

Alfred
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

There's a saying. "Divided we fall, united we stand"
geofflambert

RE: Carriers Kido Butai and air squadrons

Post by geofflambert »

Could you please edit the thread title to "Kido" instead of "Kibo"? That's really annoying every time I see it. [:-]

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

1st and most recent message edited...
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
fulcrum28

Post by fulcrum28 »

geofflambert, thanks for pointed out, i speak Japanese, so it was a typo.

Wdolson, thank you for editing the typo. I'm sorry for that.

In fact, strictly speaking, it should be kidou butai 機動部隊 (きどう ぶたい)but I understand "kido butai" is the most extended used term for non-Japanese.

I'm also happy to read it without typos, thank you!

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

A Japanese speaker? You are a very interesting forumite. I look forward to your posts.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”