Another probable/possible Bug?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Auchinleck

Another probable/possible Bug?

Post by Auchinleck »

Playing a New Solitaire Global War. First turn of July/August 1940. After my Germans over ran Paris, I was informed Paris was destroyed and was given no option to create a Vichy France. I never ran across that before but no problem. Interesting alternate possibility. I figure an even more particularly ruthless Hitler is pulling the strings behind the scenes. It shows German flags all over France, except for 2 curious hexes. One is where the apparently stubborn French General Pretelat must have decided to hold out even after France's surrender, when all other French units were removed. No big deal, he was surrounded and out of supply, so I crushed him during the next Axis Combat Declaration phase. But the other hold out puzzles me. The French Fleet which I had based in Toulon Naval Base along the Western Mediterranean, was also immune to the French surrender, and is still a French Allied fighting fleet ready to team up with my Royal Navy based at Malta, and devastate the Italian Navy. I am racing a German Armor Division down to Toulon, to see if it captures that other one lone still French hex, if the French Fleet will then come under German control. But if there was any logic in place, it seems to me the French Fleet and General Pretelat should have surrendered when France surrendered at the beginning of this turn. Even more curiously, the French Battleship Richelieu (which I had not even built yet) appeared at the beginning of the turn under control of the Kriegsmarine. But not the rest of the formidable French fleet. Anyone care to explain any of this? Or is it just another result of the latest patch?
Centuur

RE: Another probable/possible Bug?

Post by Centuur »

Things are difficult to investigate, without saved games. I can't check the version you are using (is it an obsolete one, or not)...

Here is the rule regarding the installation of the Vichy government:

RAW:

An Axis major power can choose to install a Vichy Government if one
of its in-supply land units occupies Paris in a peace step and France is
not conquered.

I can't tell from your description if that was the case or not.

If Pretalat is sitting in a French Factory hex, France isn't conquered. If France was conquered, than we need a saved game to check what went wrong. If you surrendered France, we still need a gamesave to see what is going wrong...

The French fleet should have been forced to leave Toulon, when France is conquered or surrenders, except when there is an Allied unit adjacent to the hex, in which case the hex stays controlled by the French. The French fleet becomes controlled by the French government in exile and will not become Axis controlled, except if they are disorganised. In that case they are subject to the capture rules if they are overrun (ships escape, gets captured or are scuttled in port). Again: without more information, we can't check anything.

If the Richelieu is in production and France gets conquered, the Germans might capture the vessel and get it for free. Here is RAW:

Roll a die for each of its naval units on the production circle, or in the
construction pool or repair pool. On a ‘1’ or ‘2’ it becomes controlled
by any major power the conquered major power chooses (including
itself). On a ‘3’ through ‘5’ it is destroyed. On a ‘6’ or higher it
becomes controlled by any major power the conqueror chooses.

I haven't got enough information to see if things are wrong or not. Saved games from just before something strange happens are a must have to investigate things. They can be zipped and uploaded here. Please do so, since it will make things easier. There are an awful lot of autosaves available to put in here.

I can only say that I haven't seen any of these things in the game for a long, long time. So I'm pretty curious on how you did this...
Peter
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

To have incomplete conquest occur before the chance to Vichy would mean all the French factories would have had to become axis-controlled and at the end of the preceding turn most likely (but not 100% for sure) the game should have asked you if you wanted to surrender France. The "not sure" part would be if 5 other factories were taken in JA40 along with Paris.
Paul
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

You have to have an Axis unit in Paris to declare a Vichy government. A fine point in the rules that would probably be skipped in face-to-face play, but not in MWiF.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: brian brian

You have to have an Axis unit in Paris to declare a Vichy government. A fine point in the rules that would probably be skipped in face-to-face play, but not in MWiF.
Also, the unit has to be in supply and the US cannot be at war with Germany. I think it has to be a land unit too.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Return to “World in Flames”