New 1.01.20 Public Beta Now Available!

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Harrybanana

RE: New 1.01.20 Public Beta Now Available!

Post by Harrybanana »

ORIGINAL: Helpless
Well something has sure changed.

There were no direct changes to the bombing code.

Well then I think there must be an indirect/unintentional change then, because it is definitely different results. I have emailed the save to you at 2by3@2by3games.com so you can compare for yourself.
Robert Harris
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

To upload put the file in a zip.

I did and got the same result. Step by step what I did was:

1. I zipped the save file which created a zip folder named "Test 11"
2. I saved the zipped folder to my Desktop.
3. I started a Forum Post
4. I clicked on "Click here to upload!"
5. I clicked on "choose file"
6. I double clicked on the zipped folder.
7. Choose file then said "Test 11.zip"
8. I clicked "OK"
9. I got the error message.

I tried it again with this post/message and again got the same error message.

In case it is not already bleeding obvious I am not a techie.
Robert Harris
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Unfortunately there is no way to analyze what is different if it is indeed different. I suggest to report what is wrong instead.

Edit: After running series of tests with saves on hand I see no difference in unit bombing. Again, since code have changed and there is no apparent air code changes it makes it impossible to make deep differential analysis.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

Well this is very, very weird. In order to show you what I mean I reverted back to 1.01.12 and then reran the Test. As expected my Unit bombing caused about 8000 German casualties and I took screenshots to show this. I then again ran the 1.01.20 setup and then ran the Test again. My plan was to take screenshots and show you how much lower the German casualties were with 1.01.20 then they were with 1.01.12. However, much to my surprise, I caused about 8000 German casualties with 1.01.20 as well. Obviously I can not explain this. All I can say is that I ran the test with 1.01.20 before several times and each time the casualties were only about 2500 men. But now that I have reinstalled it I am getting 8000+.

In any event, what ever the problem was it seems to be fixed. Unfortunately, too late for me in my game with Liquid Sky where I was relying on massive bombing last turn to put a big hurt on him.
Robert Harris
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

I am invading Normandy in June 44 if the 43 - 45 campaign and I have assigned the 4 allied air divisions viable drop zones on the coast and 1 to 2 hexes from the coast. Also they are placed on airfields. However, I am getting a "Not a valid airborne target hex" message for all my airborne divisions. They have sufficient prep points (minimum is 75) and aircraft to perform the drop. Also doing the drops in day or night it does not change this issue. I have always had issues with conducting airborne drops of paratroops with all versions of this game.

Opps please disregard this post as I found that you have to launch the seaborne invasion first before performing the airborne drop. Trying to launch the airborne drops first will not work.
whoofe

Post by whoofe »

airborne drops have to be within 8 or 9 hexes of an allied unit IIRC. you can get around this if you add them to an amphib invasion adjacent hex

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”