Farewell to JTCS

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

Jafele

RE: Farwell

Post by Jafele »

I also love realism, but isn´t it a game? [:D]
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
Deepstuff3725

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

And I've always considered updates, new features, and "kewl" things to be good things. What was I thinking?

KEYSTONE0795

Post by KEYSTONE0795 »

ORIGINAL: Jafele

I also love realism, but isn´t it a game? [:D]

That's why I love the Campaign Series. It is a great game with a basis in reality, not a detailed simulation of reality which would be both boring and frightening! Also, this is to me and many others the computer version of
Panzer Leader and Panzer Blitz. What could be better than that! [:)]
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

ORIGINAL: KEYSTONE0795

That's why I love the Campaign Series. It is a great game with a basis in reality, not a detailed simulation of reality which would be both boring and frightening! Also, this is to me and many others the computer version of
Panzer Leader and Panzer Blitz. What could be better than that! [:)]

Certainly that´s the spirit of the Campaign Series and the people who love it. [;)]
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

You all can titter away. Or, stuff it. Makes no difference to me.

I did not say that new features were bad. That is your problem, not mine.

As Jason wrote: "Who's trying to convince you? You have an opinion, I have an opinion .. and they differ. So be it."
Yup, the keys to kingdom are in your hands.

The problem with this is that smug and condescending will never convince anyone. Like removing scale from the manual and saying it does no longer mean anything. Right? Then, "Hey, read the manual and find my excuses for how things work". A light bridge in six minutes. Just cut down a tree? Yup, cut down a tree in six minutes. Hope your stream/river is not wider than that tree?

Hey, come back when you grow up "fanboys". [>:]

And, to Mike. Don't go down the smug road. It really is not you.
Scale and the graphics are not an issue for me. It is playable. But, if you want to waste the time to comment on and/or change the graphics to piss off the fanboys feel free. That's your life.

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

ORIGINAL: Warhorse

Well, hate to say it, but the 3d graphics are way out of scale, Jason, damn, now I gotta reduce them all to 1x1 pixel graphics, my apologies....

Really Mike?

I helped you play test several of your Korean mod H2H scenarios. I also helped you recruit other players for testing. Remember how angry and frustrated you were when folks did not respond promptly to your recruiting threads? I also was there to promptly assist you with some other H2H Section issues.

I really thought you were better then this type of response?
Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein
Zap

Post by Zap »

After I read the comments about engineers I was curious went to a video on you tube where a Russian military crew put a bridge up in 6:45 seconds. So it tells me its possible.
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Why is it when I make a joke, I'm a jackass, when everyone else can slam the devel team all over the place and be okay with it? I just got a little caught up in the thread is all, will ignore the thread from now on, not my forte...
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Deepstuff3725

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

To those who like to bash the development team, keep in mind there could be no development team at all, and the game would never improve from where it is now. For those non-fanboys out there, would this be better?

With any upgrade available in the future, it will be your choice to buy it. You can still play the game as it is now and not buy it.

From the original version of JTCS to what CS is now, the development team has done a great job improving the game. Try playing the original version prior to any updates and you will understand what I'm saying.

I'm glad the development team is working to make CS even better, and I don't expect them to put all the many hours of work in for free.

And it's a game. I think some of us need to get a life.

Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

On a serious note I just don't understand the anger presented here. The game, its optional rules, and the hundreds of scenarios offers plenty of sweet spots for everyone to enjoy. 'Kool Kat', 'Mr RR', you guys have obviously found yours and are sticking to it. And why not. But why not enjoy that and let others enjoy what they enjoy. Why the need to bash others?

Plenty to discuss: sure! Matrix still offers all UPDATES from 1.01 to 1.04 and 2.00 to 2.02 via their ftp service. Game can be installed in parallel in multiple versions. Dozens of mods available to further enhance the game towards ones liking. Yes, the game's being developed, there's enhancements and new features and yet more to come. It is communicated many times new features are implemented as new Optional Rules where possible. Don't like Adaptive AI that brings a further randomness to die rolls? Don't use it. And so on.

We all have opinions and preferences. Being passionate is ok, being civil while at it surely not too much to ask.
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

Being passionate is ok, being civil while at it surely not too much to ask.

no it isn't, and if it continues to go this way, some posts will be report to admin, to see if something can be done about it, as there's no need for it, if you don't like the direction, go a different path, but please don't spoil it for others, take this as the first warning,

there won't be any others, can't be civil in your post, then please don't post, it's that simple, not rocket science...
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Crossroads
We all have opinions and preferences. Being passionate is ok, being civil while at it surely not too much to ask.
Totally agree. And I guess everyone that disagrees with their opinion for whatever reason is a "fanboy". That's the first time I've been accused of that, for any game!
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

ORIGINAL: zakblood
Being passionate is ok, being civil while at it surely not too much to ask.

no it isn't, and if it continues to go this way, some posts will be report to admin, to see if something can be done about it, as there's no need for it, if you don't like the direction, go a different path, but please don't spoil it for others, take this as the first warning,

there won't be any others, can't be civil in your post, then please don't post, it's that simple, not rocket science...

I agree to this. Equally applied, of course. [:)]

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
&#8213; Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

On a serious note I just don't understand the anger presented here. The game, its optional rules, and the hundreds of scenarios offers plenty of sweet spots for everyone to enjoy. 'Kool Kat', 'Mr RR', you guys have obviously found yours and are sticking to it. And why not. But why not enjoy that and let others enjoy what they enjoy. Why the need to bash others?

Plenty to discuss: sure! Matrix still offers all UPDATES from 1.01 to 1.04 and 2.00 to 2.02 via their ftp service. Game can be installed in parallel in multiple versions. Dozens of mods available to further enhance the game towards ones liking. Yes, the game's being developed, there's enhancements and new features and yet more to come. It is communicated many times new features are implemented as new Optional Rules where possible. Don't like Adaptive AI that brings a further randomness to die rolls? Don't use it. And so on.

Never been a fan of hundreds of options.
And, what you need to remember is that your team is going to take away the support of all your "updates" when they un-bundle and play Frankenstein's monster with each of the games?
At least that is what your programmer stated?

My "sweet spot" is playing a fun game that did not need the extra "stuff".

Petri, there is no anger on my part. Disappointment and disgust. Not anger. And, I always push back against institutionalized oppression.

And, Zak, let me know if this is an example of what you are going to report?

RR
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

ORIGINAL: Zap

After I read the comments about engineers I was curious went to a video on you tube where a Russian military crew put a bridge up in 6:45 seconds. So it tells me its possible.

Can you post the link?
Or, do I search for Russian engineer bridge building?

RR
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

anything that isn't Civil, off topic or just plain rude
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

ORIGINAL: MrRoadrunner

Can you post the link?

RR

Tried a You Tube search. All I found were these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c0NMGuv1mE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdo8z0RKebk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nb14F_s1fE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCoSmtUFUL8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afF3IUr7kbE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuC0Qg8Z-gw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXTot6-cjRc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBUe9PXNnqU

Most of the videos are under six minutes. Though most bridges took longer to make. [;)]

RR
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Never been a fan of hundreds of options.
And, what you need to remember is that your team is going to take away the support of all your "updates" when they un-bundle and play Frankenstein's monster with each of the games?
At least that is what your programmer stated?

Yes. The original Talonsoft Campaign Series titles were end-of-lifed in effect at latest when Talonsoft went belly up in 2005. Not counting the bug ridden EF I, thats 1998 (WF) - 2005 ie. seven years of some sort of support.

The JTCS bundle will be end-of lifed in effect at latest when the first unbundles title will come up, in 2017 we hope. That is nine years of support (2007-2017). That said, there's no planned UPDATEs any longer.

No need to pick on us any of, individually. This has been a clear message by the Dev Team for some time.

My "sweet spot" is playing a fun game that did not need the extra "stuff".

Then play it like that by all means but let others add "extra stuff" if they want to.

Petri, there is no anger on my part. Disappointment and disgust. Not anger. And, I always push back against institutionalized oppression.

And, Zak, let me know if this is an example of what you are going to report?

RR

No anger, eh. Well you fooled me.

I am up to a civil discussion on any game related topic so glad to hear that's how we'll continue then. No name calling by anyone, no putting words in anyone's mouth, sounds like a deal.
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
Zap

Post by Zap »

Can you post the link?

RR

Ed you'll have to look I have not had success in trying topost the link. Go to you tube and search like you say. It should come up. Have to say it was a 1990 Russian unit. Then I looked at WWII pontoon bridges. Search agin in youtube. There the was an article with the 107th American engineers. Where it speaks of time it took them to build a pontoon bridge. There it was a longer period like 45 minutes for a pontoon bridge that could carry mobile units. Search Pontoon bridges
Zap

Post by Zap »

Can you post the link?

RR

Tried a You Tube search. All I found were these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c0NMGuv1mE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdo8z0RKebk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nb14F_s1fE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCoSmtUFUL8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afF3IUr7kbE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuC0Qg8Z-gw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXTot6-cjRc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBUe9PXNnqU

Most of the videos are under six minutes. Though most bridges took longer to make. [;)]

RR

I believe that video has not been edited but I could be wrong.

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”