Problem getting air groups from "reserve" to "ready"

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Maudite

Problem getting air groups from "reserve" to "ready"

Post by Maudite »

I had some airfields overrun and so the AGs went back to National Reserve with zero ready planes in each group. After a few turns in the National Reserve, the AGs still show 0 ready aircraft (I thought they would become ready over time, but I guess not).

So I put a few down on the map a few turns ago expecting the planes to become "ready". They are still not.

The image below shows my national reserve on the top half with a bunch of AGs with 0 ready planes. The bottom half shows one of the groups that has been on the map for a few turns. As you can see, the group should grow to 16 planes, but it is stuck at 9 and all 9 of those are in "reserve".

You can see that it has its full compliment of 16 pilots and when the "Planes" tab is clicked it shows that the planes are undamaged and in "Reserve" status. The airfield is in decent supply. That's surely not the issue as I also put one of these 0 ready AGs in England for a few turns and it still has all of its aircraft in "Reserve" status as well.

Is there something I need to do to make the planes "Ready"?

Attachments
Capture3.jpg
Capture3.jpg (139.73 KiB) Viewed 88 times
LiquidSky

RE: Problem getting air groups from "reserve" to "ready"

Post by LiquidSky »

Does the airbase have supply? Is the airbase damaged?
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Maudite

Post by Maudite »

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

Does the airbase have supply? Is the airbase damaged?

Yes and no.

Plenty of planes in the pool as well.
Maudite

Post by Maudite »

Oh, and by the way, this is with the official latest patch...not the new public beta.
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Hmm..only other thing I can think of is do you have air support on the airfield. Maybe you lost a bunch when your fields were overrun earlier.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Maudite

Post by Maudite »

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

Hmm..only other thing I can think of is do you have air support on the airfield. Maybe you lost a bunch when your fields were overrun earlier.

No, the airfields I put these guys in are different ones than the overrun ones and they have plenty of support, supply, and everything. I tried one in Italy, and one in England. Both Air Groups have been sitting at 0 ready for several turns. In both cases, the AGs are not showing any problems with supply, support, pilots, repairs, or anything else (that I can think of, at least). The planes just won't go from "reserve" to "ready".

How is this designed to work? Should the AGs in the National Reserve show an increasing number of ready planes, or should the number of ready planes only increase on the map? Or both? I'm not sure since in neither case am I getting any more ready planes.

If it matters, the overrun AFs were the temps created on beach heads.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Can you attach a save game before your logistics phase (either attach it here or email it to 2by3@2by3games.com).
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Maudite

Post by Maudite »

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Can you attach a save game

First of all damn these forums as I just typed out a response and had it deleted as it said I cannot put emails into a post (until I'd posted 10 times). An email was originally in the quote above.

OK anyway, so this is a PBEM game and I've asked my opponent to send you the file to be saved before the Allied logi phase.

When you get it check out the 432 Sqn in Lympne, England where the Wellies have been stuck at 0 ready. The other problem is the Italy base in the screenshot above.

Not sure if this is related, but on turn 16 I put 72 transports (all ready) into Ajaccio. Those disappeared on Turn 17. (we're about to start turn 18) As mentioned, those always showed ready - reinforcement unit - so not directly related to the above issue, but maybe relevant.

Thanks!
whoofe

Post by whoofe »

could the ones that disappeared have been withdrawn on schedule? I know at various points several air groups get withdrawn (it shows up on the same schedule as the reinforcements do)
Maudite

Post by Maudite »

ORIGINAL: whoofe

could the ones that disappeared have been withdrawn on schedule? I know at various points several air groups get withdrawn (it shows up on the same schedule as the reinforcements do)

That's the first thing I thought of too and I checked that. No 72-plane Transport group was withdrawn.

On double-checking, though...I think I must have remembered things a little wrong and put a 36-plane Transport group there...which was indeed withdrawn the next week.

So my bad on that one. Ignore my additional question about the disappearing planes!
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

The issue is that when groups got overrun their number of pilot value was not reset. So game "thinks" they have pilots when physically there is none, so all planes end up in reserve.

I will make a fix for "phantom" pilots in overrun air groups. Also I can fix your save if you want.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
whoofe

Post by whoofe »

ORIGINAL: Helpless

The issue is that when groups got overrun their number of pilot value was not reset. So game "thinks" they have pilots when physically there is none, so all planes end up in reserve.

I will make a fix for "phantom" pilots in overrun air groups. Also I can fix your save if you want.

is this just a rare unlucky bug for him, or will this happen every time an air group is overrun?
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

is this just a rare unlucky bug for him, or will this happen every time an air group is overrun?

Usually air groups will fly out to distant air base. Probably they were overrun in a "bad" state (no planes, no fuel, etc). Hard to tell since I don't have actual save when it happened.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
whoofe

Post by whoofe »

Usually air groups will fly out to distant air base. Probably they were overrun in a "bad" state (no planes, no fuel, etc). Hard to tell since I don't have actual save when it happened.

ah ok - thanks. sounds like it shouldn't be a really common occurrence then. that's what I was mainly worried about

Maudite

Post by Maudite »

That would be awesome if you could fix the save and send it back. Thanks!

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”