Rory Noonan

Good Morning Malvinas, 1982 - UPDATED 09 FEB 2016

Post by Rory Noonan »

[center]Image[/center]

South Atlantic Ocean,
1 May 1982
Playable side:
United Kingdom

In the aftermath of the re-capture of South Georgia by British forces, it became clear that the Argentine government would not be open to a diplomatic resolution. In light of this, Prime Minister Thatcher authorised operation Black Buck, a series of Vulcan B.2 raids against Argentine forces on the Falklands.

Your mission, as commander of TF 317, is to conduct covert insertion of special forces on West Falkland, perform follow-up Sea Harrier strikes on Goose Green Airfield and Stanley Airport, and achieve and maintain air and sea control within the total exclusion zone.

Note: Some artistic license has been taken with actual historical events in order to maintain a steady pace and provide a challenge to the player. Please ensure you have pop-ups enabled for special messages, and turn off message log display of event firings.

Historical Outcome
Despite an excellent psychological effect, Black Buck was only a a marginal operational success. The runway at Stanley Airport was damaged, preventing fast jets from using it but leaving it open for resupply missions by C-130.

The follow-up Sea Harrier strikes were successful, in particular the strike on Goose Green Airfield destroyed several Argentine aircraft on the ground. Naval gunfire from Glamorgan, Arrow and Alacrity was effective until the group came under attack from Dagger aircraft and withdrew. While there were several small air engagements throughout the day, the Argentines were unable to inflict any losses on the British, and lost several aircraft of their own.

File updated to final release version 28 MAR 2016.

File updated to latest DB 03 MAR 2017
Attachments
Good Morni..as, 1982.zip
(126.05 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Rory Noonan

RE: Good Morning Malvinas, 1982 - UPDATED

Post by Rory Noonan »

Hello all,

I've been working on this scenario for a while and feel like it's nearly ready. It covers the first day of real 'action' in the Falklands war.

In particular feedback regarding pace, difficulty and scoring would be much appreciated.

Note that there are still a few elements to be added, the AI controlled Black Buck raid in particular.

Beta 2 Changes:
Added Argentine SAG and CVBG
Added RN Subs
Added randomly generated and placed biologics/false contacts
Fixed weather change issue
Updated ready times for aircraft
Removed 809 sqn and 1 sqn RAF as neither were present at this point
Modified magazines to include depth charges for helos
Added A/G stores to Resource
Fixed Argentine radar settings, inc. starting back-up EWR if the main is destroyed
Reduced (heavily) SAM and AAA presence at Stanley
Changed ROE for Argentine sub to make it more deadly and keep it from chasing NGS detachment
Added mines to Port Stanley (historically accurate, keeps player from getting NGS too close to shore)
Added image to scenario description
Sensei.Tokugawa

Post by Sensei.Tokugawa »

Keep'em coming, mate, you're doing a tremendous job to cover the period, theater and the conflict and it's only too bad that so far the encouragement is the only thing I can provide for sure instead of some formative commentary after having that playtested. But I am slowly getting back to that. Usually I load them scenarios and have a look, checking this and that; looks decent to say the least according to what I have studied on the subject so far. However the fact is that the current book in reading is the one about how Thatcher and the Tory designed the discourse of the issue to (mis-)lead the British homefront so ... That's why it's you who should focus on the designing job. Thanks in advance.
"-What if one doesn't make it?
-Then we know he was no good for SpetsNaz. ..."
V. Suvorov, "Spetsnaz;the Story behind the Soviet SAS"

...No escape from Passchendaele .../ God Dethroned, "Passiondale"

Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

Thanks burroughs, I put a fair bit of time into getting the right units and positions etc. It's good to know it's noticed and appreciated [:D]
Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

Any feedback from anyone who has played this scenario?
Sensei.Tokugawa

I'll try to see what I can do about that during the weekend and the following week, I was to play that anyway and it's only 19 hrs so should not be much of a burden. No promises though, I just wanted to keep propping up the great designing job

Pergite!

Post by Pergite! »

Will try this out as well.

First issue: All sides are currently selectable when starting mission.
Sensei.Tokugawa

Aw, yes, I saw that too and even kind of browsed the "options", but didn't consider seriously the possibility of commanding any whale flotillas and the briefing pointed directly to British side as the one intended to be commanded so skipped the chance to take the Argentinian forces over and leave it until the conclusion of my British affair to have a look in there. Normally I load the last save file through the editor to see what's left on the other side etc.

Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

Thanks guys, I'll fix that right away.

I have added a new feature, but I'm not sure if it takes away from the scenario or adds to it. Using the 'special events' I have added the option to request submarine attacks on Argentine surface shipping (historically it happened, but was limited to one ship), and another to request US intelligence support (it probably happened, but it was kept out of sight).

Sub strikes would switch the lurking RN subs (not player controlled) into attack mode, and would likely gain points for destruction of Argentine surface forces (which are otherwise there as a distraction for the player, and to add a bit of flavour). The trade off would be losing -50 or -100 points as political fallout, and the fact that the subs might not find anything or might even get destroyed themselves losing even more points.

Requesting US intelligence support would activate a 'spy' facility outside each Argentine airport, alerting the player to the type and number of a/c taking off. This would be offset by a small penalty of points--I am more inclined to use a random, weighted number rather than a definite number as this trade-off is more concrete than the previous and I do want the player to think carefully about whether to use these actions.

Do you think these options would add to the mission? Or would they take away from it, making it a more 'gamey' affair. I'm not sure how I feel, but I am reassured by the fact that they are totally optional if included. You can always choose not to use them.
Sensei.Tokugawa

I should be starting playing that tonight, I read the briefing quite carefully yesterday so today I am going to check the equipment, study the capabilities, work out the plan and figure out the emergencies and contingencies etc.I am only having quite a hard time catching up with the updates, it looks like I need to install ....16 and I installed ... 15 only yesterday.

Anyway, the idea is excellent and by no means "gamey". As a long-term player of TOAW III I can still remember that at least eight to nine years ago one of my first scenarios there was the one covering the invasion of Grenada. One of the things I can remember best is that I had certain theater options available like whether to allow the press to accompany the troops deployed or not. In the end it didn't change that much - there was a penalty in shape of hampered movement as far as I can remember which in fact didn't change much, the result had already been decided by then. However, it added so much depth and it's still in my memory.

At first I'd opted to vote for getting the subs under manual control, but then I decided that they indeed should be allowed to carry their mission by themselves unless it turns out their suck pretty badly at that.

Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

Thanks for the feedback. As for the briefing, I hope you found it informative. Once you get to playing let me know if you think there's anything else that should be in there.

I've updated the scen, and added the special actions based on your feedback. There's also a lot of other little fixes and additions. The only thing I've got to add in is the black buck raid, which should be a cinch but I've been holding off as putting it in earlier messed up my workflow for making changes.

0.33 (& 1/3) Beta 3 Changes:
-Corrected 'computer only' settings for sides other than United Kingdom
-Improved biological/false contact generation script, increased area of possible location
-Added special events for submarine strikes & US HUMINT sharing. May in the future add photo-recce from Chile.
-The Argentine CVBG, SAG and Belgrano groups are now present and going about their business in the AO
-Fixed EMCON settings for Argentine sub (no more radar use!)
-Changed WRA for Argentine sub torpedos to increase lethality
-Added events for UK points gain if Arg ships destroyed
-Added event for (large) UK points loss if RN sub destroyed
-Added message informing player of special actions
-Updated scenario start time to reflect desired 18 hour duration
-Changed Canberra's from ASuW patrol to ASuW strike to avoid them flying at full speed/low alt then going bingo before attacking
-Added various missions to ARG aircraft set to launch after designated strike time; penalising UK player for delaying strike
-Added Arg CV borne helo's to local ASW patrols
-Added Arg DDG borne helo's to local ASW strike stand-by
-Added aircraft to Belgrano as historically accurate
-Changed Roland RoE to hopefully make them less accurate and deadly
-Changed UK side experience to Veteran
-Corrected scoring for destroying ammo pads
-Added scoring thresholds (victory/defeat etc)
-Changed posture for UK/US to friendly
-Removed Civilian side
-Added a twist involving the Soviet Union if a certain special action is implemented
-Added 'detection' and 'warning off' events related to the above

The file above has been updated to the new version, as has Steam Workshop [:)]
Sensei.Tokugawa

Alright, there's been a delay in launching the mission as should be expected in any type of warfare according the the concept of Clausewitzan friction or as per Murphy's law, if one prefers the other to the latter.

Anyway, I'll be play-testing the beta.33 7/2/2016 version under CMANO 1.10 build 775.16. Re-studied the briefing and although I am not familiar with the RN format then in use I must admit it got me into the right mood right away apart from providing a valuable, formative and easy to study information. It's like being back in the early '00s with Operation Flashpoint (land warfare squad level FP combat simulator) where I specialized in LRS missions, small unit tactics, recon, infiltration and surveillance etc. - generally the special forces stuff - SEALS and SOG Green Berets in Vietnam, LRRPs and the like - so I am having a nice recoil here and a different perspective and level to take. What I meant to say is that some mission designers went as far as to adopt a genuine briefing format typical for a force branch and ported that into the OFP briefing framework - added a nice touch just like with those theater options; sometimes it was just brass and silver lining to adorn the design rather than something dramatically changing the way the mission was played, but I used to like that. Same here - dunno if that was the historic RN format, but it did the trick for me. Depend what you prefer, but that's up to everybody's liking.

Having said, I am going to be on a mission for some time, up to a couple of days so I'll report the results, observations and lessons learnt by then and no sooner unless I get excited or pissed off enough to break the silence earlier.

Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

ORIGINAL: burroughs
Having said, I am going to be on a mission for some time, up to a couple of days so I'll report the results, observations and lessons learnt by then and no sooner unless I get excited or pissed off enough to break the silence earlier.

Hopefully it's excitment, not frustration. Although the SAM and AAA at Stanley and Goose Green are remarkably good and therefore quite irritating [:D]
Sensei.Tokugawa

Alright, so far so good, I am crawling at a snail's pace as it has been my first serious attempt at a mission within the last few months so I need to refamiliarize myself how the things are done and all that on the job.
Around quarter past four AM local time I got the commandos to their LZs and DZs though I forgot to set up a support mission for DZ Queen so they are late and still en route in the air. However, everywhere in the north west Falklands the choppers are in a loop on minimal height with support missions set up and there has only been a confirmation from DZ King from one of the SBS teams - I assume that I am good to get the chopper back after those five minutes or or even right away after the event has been fired as no-one gets inserted, there are no separate SF teams to be teleported so it's basically a false insertion which counts as a genuine one and the commandos are assumed delivered, inserted and deployed. This is not realistic, it's taking them too long, apart from the SBS guys who are having a wet insertion so it's justified, but still taking way too long.When I was reading Bravo Two Zero the aviators there were so eager to kick the B20 patrol off their chopper - as far as I can remember; it was pictured way different in the movie - that they almost did that if that hadn't been for the awe of the SF guys, but those were the army flyboys so ... In the movie Andy McNab was performing the last sweep before disembarking so as not to leave any equipment behind, but that still took minutes if not seconds to get them onto the Iraqi soil and run like hell back.

I'll attach the save file later on should you be interested in studying that, everything's a bit clumsy still for the reason given above, but I am slowly getting a grip on the situation and returning to my old mood for naval warfare. Basically I am getting both the ASW and NGW teams to their ZoCs with an AA support destroyer assigned to each and the flattops some 80 NMs south so the Harriers in the morning can have some more time over their targets and be able to performs their sweeps over the island and protect friendly assets against the enemy combat aviation. Two maritime surveillance choppers had been sent first to reconnoitre the path ahead and identify the radars and their capabilities at Port Stanley etc. - they're just starting to return. Some aerial ASW missions have been set up before I realized - or actually remembered - that Lynxs and some other rotary wings aircraft do not have dipping sonars or magnetic anomaly detection measures to operate at night against the enemy subs, jyuts in case as they're none there yet that far up north according to the briefing.Well, as I have said I am still being a bit clumsy and ... scruffy I guess.
Attachments
Good Morni..Malvinas.zip
(143.69 KiB) Downloaded 16 times

Sensei.Tokugawa

I might want to restart - of all of the events presumably associated I have had two SBS wet insertions reported on both DZs, but no points awarded for either and no active teams on the ground ... er, in the water. Not that I had been expected that, but at LZ white I had an SAS team inserted and active at my command - they are supposed to move towards Douglas, but I would need to check the map off the game to send them there as there's nothing in sight on the map here. The rest of the choppers, including the one "spare" as there were six choppers and two DZs and three LZs returned on board without anything happening apart from two events firing and an entry into the DZ area reported. After that I pushed the time acceleration, nothing happened, but a lone Harrier shot down two Daggers and the Puccaras nailed two NGW warships as they were entering their station with me watching the events (not) firing and taking no notice of the rest.

No information in the briefing regarding the two special operation choices whatsoever so I didn't use any in this attempt.Is it deliberate or needs tweaking? After all certain choices have potential outcome that can be predicted, but also end up with unexpected results.

What kind of human intelligence the U.S. might happen to have in the Falklands? That's a side question.

You think I should restart with this version or want to check the events? I had two of them firing and I couldn't pinpoint for what action they were awarded - apart from that I had 10 or 15 point awarded for CAP overflights of Port Stanley, but that's another story.

Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

Alright, so far so good, I am crawling at a snail's pace as it has been my first serious attempt at a mission within the last few months so I need to refamiliarize myself how the things are done and all that on the job.
Around quarter past four AM local time I got the commandos to their LZs and DZs though I forgot to set up a support mission for DZ Queen so they are late and still en route in the air. However, everywhere in the north west Falklands the choppers are in a loop on minimal height with support missions set up and there has only been a confirmation from DZ King from one of the SBS teams - I assume that I am good to get the chopper back after those five minutes or or even right away after the event has been fired as no-one gets inserted, there are no separate SF teams to be teleported so it's basically a false insertion which counts as a genuine one and the commandos are assumed delivered, inserted and deployed.

Erm... No... If you hover in the DZ for 5 minutes as the message suggests, a lua script is triggered to deploy the RHIBs (for DZ King and DZ Queen) or infantry sections (for LZ Red, White and Blue). The script also cleans up reference points once the insertion has been triggered. At this point you can RTB the HC.4's. Once the RHIBs are deployed at DZ King & Queen, move them to LZ George and Elizabeth as in the briefing.

I see this may not be clear, so I think I will add some 'gameplay notes' to the briefing.
This is not realistic, it's taking them too long, apart from the SBS guys who are having a wet insertion so it's justified, but still taking way too long.When I was reading Bravo Two Zero the aviators there were so eager to kick the B20 patrol off their chopper - as far as I can remember; it was pictured way different in the movie - that they almost did that if that hadn't been for the awe of the SF guys, but those were the army flyboys so ... In the movie Andy McNab was performing the last sweep before disembarking so as not to leave any equipment behind, but that still took minutes if not seconds to get them onto the Iraqi soil and run like hell back.

While I haven't seen Bravo Two Zero, I did spend 2 years attached to a clearance diving team. Dropping boats from a helo and fast roping into them, or dropping into the water and then setting up the boat and clambering aboard--at night, in the cold--does actually take a few minutes. In any event from a gamplay POV the trigger is set to 5 minutes but if it's causing confusion I will reduce it to 2 minutes, and I will add a brief explanation to the gameplay notes.
I'll attach the save file later on should you be interested in studying that, everything's a bit clumsy still for the reason given above, but I am slowly getting a grip on the situation and returning to my old mood for naval warfare. Basically I am getting both the ASW and NGW teams to their ZoCs with an AA support destroyer assigned to each and the flattops some 80 NMs south so the Harriers in the morning can have some more time over their targets and be able to performs their sweeps over the island and protect friendly assets against the enemy combat aviation. Two maritime surveillance choppers had been sent first to reconnoitre the path ahead and identify the radars and their capabilities at Port Stanley etc. - they're just starting to return. Some aerial ASW missions have been set up before I realized - or actually remembered - that Lynxs and some other rotary wings aircraft do not have dipping sonars or magnetic anomaly detection measures to operate at night against the enemy subs, jyuts in case as they're none there yet that far up north according to the briefing.Well, as I have said I am still being a bit clumsy and ... scruffy I guess.

Yes, the Lynx wasn't really ready for solo ASW at this point it seems. There's a Wessex on Glamorgan (I think, can't load up the scen atm) that should be able to fill that role, as well as all the Sea Kings from the carriers. In real life, a sea king (or two) assisted Yarmouth and Brilliant using HIFR to stay on station. Given the sea king's long endurance I've had reasonable success using the HAS.5s on the carriers with depth charge loadouts, they still get something like 2 hours on station.
Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

I might want to restart - of all of the events presumably associated I have had two SBS wet insertions reported on both DZs, but no points awarded for either and no active teams on the ground ... er, in the water. Not that I had been expected that, but at LZ white I had an SAS team inserted and active at my command - they are supposed to move towards Douglas, but I would need to check the map off the game to send them there as there's nothing in sight on the map here. The rest of the choppers, including the one "spare" as there were six choppers and two DZs and three LZs returned on board without anything happening apart from two events firing and an entry into the DZ area reported. After that I pushed the time acceleration, nothing happened, but a lone Harrier shot down two Daggers and the Puccaras nailed two NGW warships as they were entering their station with me watching the events (not) firing and taking no notice of the rest.

So, the reports you are getting say something along the lines of "We're approaching DZ king, we'll need the helo to hover here for 5 minutes to get the boat in the water". Key words being approaching and hover for 5 minutes. If you hover the helo for 5 minutes a script is triggered to insert a RHIB in the water and clean up the ref points used for that insertion.

As for the teams at LZ Red, White and Blue; I'm thinking I might create a destination for them (as I have with OP Buckingham and Windsor for the teams that end up at LZ George and Elizabeth) and have them disappear when they arrive as they're not really much use once they've gotten ashore. The plan for the teams at Windsor and Buckingham is to overwatch the airfields, do BDA, etc.
No information in the briefing regarding the two special operation choices whatsoever so I didn't use any in this attempt.Is it deliberate or needs tweaking? After all certain choices have potential outcome that can be predicted, but also end up with unexpected results.
Ah, yes. There is a bug that prevents me from adding a description at the moment and they were a late addition. I will add this to gameplay notes for the time being.
What kind of human intelligence the U.S. might happen to have in the Falklands? That's a side question.
Click the button and you'll see [;)]

I had wanted to add more of a description of what these actions do, but there is a bug atm that makes the description data become the title after saving and re-opening the file, and I don't want to have 256 word titles if I need to call the title for scripts etc.

Another section for gameplay notes!
You think I should restart with this version or want to check the events? I had two of them firing and I couldn't pinpoint for what action they were awarded - apart from that I had 10 or 15 point awarded for CAP overflights of Port Stanley, but that's another story.
Yes, there is an event that gives 5 points for each 20 minutes a SHAR is on station over the Falklands, as maintaining a SHAR CAP over the Falklands was a key component of the orders in the briefing. Another addition to the gameplay notes [:)]

Thanks for taking the time to test this scen, I really do appreciate the feedback and I'm sorry that I'd not explained things well enough for you to enjoy your first playthrough. I will have an updated and improved scenario, as well as some gameplay notes, posted before 2200Z.
Sensei.Tokugawa

Let me get the things straight in case criticism shaded the fact that it's a great scenario which got me excited; I focused on those things that got me puzzled or unsure what's going on and the remarks about "things being clumsy and scruffy" regarded my way of playing this scenario after a few month break and not the design. Actually the only problem I have encountered was that I had the insertion choppers in both DZs and two of the LZs circling in a loop for hour ( two I think ) on end without anything happening - maybe those were unsuccessful insertions like the historic one on St.Georgia glacier as far as I can remember.

Anyway, what I need is a confirmation that the insertion triggers and events work right so I can play it again to the very end. Fired "Prelude ..." yesterday I had heaps of fun, I even prized myself allowing the subs to nail two of the enemy vessels there.

Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

I understand, and I appreciate the feedback. I've made a bunch of changes based on your experience:

0.34 Beta 4
-Corrected readiness of HC.4s to all ready
-Changed filename to , 1982 format
-Added Wx reports
-Checked clarity of messages for King and Queen
-Added note about spare helo
-Lots of little changes to briefing to enhance clarity
-Changed duration of hover/loiter for all LZ/DZs to 2 mins
-Add messages for Red, White and Blue LZ to ensure player understanding
-Added reference points for Douglas, Salvador and Port San Carlos
-Event with points for NGS det arriving on time
-Added Gameplay Notes to description
-Removed 'Historical Outcome' to avoid 'boring wall of text' phenomena with addition of Gameplay Notes in description
-Added points for having NGS det arrive on time
-Changed settings for Conqueror to better track Belgrano
-Messages for SAS groups arriving at destination and 'going quiet' - being deleted to avoid clutter
-Added points for getting to destinations
-Added explanation of actions expected from SAS/SBS
-Add Black Buck flight and 'Superfuse' call

I think the gameplay notes in particular will make a big difference. I realise that this scen plays a bit differently to most others, so I should have explained what's different earlier on. Anyhow, a copy of the gameplay notes is below:

Gameplay Notes

This scenario makes use of Lua scripts and certain game mechanics that require a little bit of explanation.

Weather
The weather will change throughout the mission and has a significant impact on operations. You will receive updates via special message on the weather as it changes.

Helicopter Insertion
Inserting troops at DZ/LZs is done by hovering the respective helicopter within the reference points designated for that DZ/LZ for up to 5 minutes. This is to simulate unloading of the aircraft.

Combat Air Patrol

The player will recieve extra points (5 every 20 minutes) for having sea harriers on station over the Falklands.

Special Actions

The player has access to two special actions; one authorises AI submarines lurking in the AO to attack enemy shipping. This has a 'cost' of 50 points, but if enemy shipping is found and destroyed the points will be more than earned back. No guarantee on whether that will happen though. The other special action activates US HUMINT resources at Argentine airports. The player will get an early warning of enemy aircraft taking off. This will cost 25 points, and could have some unexpected consequences...

Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

Let me get the things straight in case criticism shaded the fact that it's a great scenario which got me excited; I focused on those things that got me puzzled or unsure what's going on and the remarks about "things being clumsy and scruffy" regarded my way of playing this scenario after a few month break and not the design. Actually the only problem I have encountered was that I had the insertion choppers in both DZs and two of the LZs circling in a loop for hour ( two I think ) on end without anything happening - maybe those were unsuccessful insertions like the historic one on St.Georgia glacier as far as I can remember.

Anyway, what I need is a confirmation that the insertion triggers and events work right so I can play it again to the very end. Fired "Prelude ..." yesterday I had heaps of fun, I even prized myself allowing the subs to nail two of the enemy vessels there.
Yes, all the triggers work correctly. It is easy to overshoot the LZs however, so make sure you are actually hovering in them for 2 minutes.

I noticed the two ships being destroyed in your AAR of Prelude [:-]; makes sense now that I know it was a reward for playing through haha [:D]

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”