Steam Workshop - Wow

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

RoryAndersonCDT

RE: Steam Workshop - Wow

Post by RoryAndersonCDT »

ORIGINAL: Sunburn
ORIGINAL: hellfish6

So I have a minor nitpick/concern about the Steam Workshop. I uploaded one of my scenarios to it (I can't access the workshop normally, as I didn't buy my copy of the game on Steam, rather Matrix gave my a serial number to use it on Steam). I found out that all my published scenarios were already uploaded to the workshop after I updated and uploaded my own. Now Dmitris is the 'owner' of my scenarios, but is there a way I could 'reacquire' them in order to update them as I see fit?

Note - this isn't me talking IPR or anything, this is just for me, as the original author, wanting the ability to update the scenarios. I like the fact that they're already up, but I just want to make sure I can access them if needed.

Thanks for the great feature!

Well the scenarios were initially batch-uploaded in order to flesh out the workshop inventory. As scenario authors begin actually uploading (and managing) their own works I have no problem stepping aside and removing the copies I uploaded [:)]

Yup! I've already removed one of excroat3's scenarios from the ones I've uploaded, please drop me a line at my chatroom or via email baloogan@gmail.com if you want me to remove one of your scenarios from my uploads.
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
hellfish6

Post by hellfish6 »

Cool, thanks for the quick response.
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

ORIGINAL: AlGrant

Never used Steam before and just need to clarify something before I try the Steam Workshop.
(the answer to this is probably already here somewhere ..... just me getting mixed up!)

If I'm understanding this correctly then in order to use the Workshop for scenarios I need to register my Matrix copy of CMANO with Steam.
Does this change anything in the game itself..... as in the way I download and install updates (inc Dev builds).

If at all possible I'd rather just use the steam workshop for the scenario side of things and other than that just keep things as they are.
If it's all or nothing for Steam then I'll probably stick with the current steam-free install :-)

It is possible to run the game without installing the Steam game version, and still get the Workshop content. Once you create a Steam account and register the product on Steam, you just need to have two files in the Command directory to tell it to connect to Steam and have the Steam client running (needs this to access Steam through your account).
Once, the Workshop is opened to public access, I can give more details, but I am using this method as part of beta testing.
From memory, one of the 2 files already exists as part of the installation in the game directory.
Michael
AlGrant

Post by AlGrant »

Skjold & michaelm

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll have to give this a try
GOD'S EYE DISABLED.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Registered for Steam without any problem. It took me a little while to figure out how to activate the key, etc., but now I seem to be able to access the Community Hub, the Workshop, etc. just fine. Definitely a nice resource. Thanks to the developers for making this possible.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Steam prompted me to activate my key and then downloaded an extra copy of the game to my computer (I couldn't figure out any other way to get to the Workshop except by letting it do this). So I now have two copies in different directories, but there is room on my hard drive, so I don't care. As far as I can tell, both copies are working fine.
ORIGINAL: michaelm

Never used Steam before and just need to clarify something before I try the Steam Workshop.
(the answer to this is probably already here somewhere ..... just me getting mixed up!)

If I'm understanding this correctly then in order to use the Workshop for scenarios I need to register my Matrix copy of CMANO with Steam.
Does this change anything in the game itself..... as in the way I download and install updates (inc Dev builds).

If at all possible I'd rather just use the steam workshop for the scenario side of things and other than that just keep things as they are.
If it's all or nothing for Steam then I'll probably stick with the current steam-free install :-)

It is possible to run the game without installing the Steam game version, and still get the Workshop content. Once you create a Steam account and register the product on Steam, you just need to have two files in the Command directory to tell it to connect to Steam and have the Steam client running (needs this to access Steam through your account).
Once, the Workshop is opened to public access, I can give more details, but I am using this method as part of beta testing.
From memory, one of the 2 files already exists as part of the installation in the game directory.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

That's correct behavior. Steam installs all games to a specific directory to manage them.

Mike
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

What I did after registering the product on Steam, was to 'add a non-Steam Game to my library' pointing to the Matrix version, so I could play it (the Matrix version) from within the Steam interface.
ORIGINAL: Mgellis

Steam prompted me to activate my key and then downloaded an extra copy of the game to my computer (I couldn't figure out any other way to get to the Workshop except by letting it do this). So I now have two copies in different directories, but there is room on my hard drive, so I don't care. As far as I can tell, both copies are working fine.
ORIGINAL: michaelm

Attachments
Image 6.jpg
Image 6.jpg (271.01 KiB) Viewed 56 times
Michael
AlGrant

Post by AlGrant »

Cheers .... that's kind of what I'm looking for.
GOD'S EYE DISABLED.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

More questions...

I uploaded a scenario to the Community workshop...well, sort of...

As far as I can tell, Steam has created a special workshop just for me. That's nice of them, but I was trying to share my scenario with the entire Command community. My scenario does not appear to be listed in the general community workshop. How do I get it listed there, too? I am probably just missing something obvious, but if there is something like an "add my scenario to the Command community workshop" button, I am not seeing it.

By the way, does Steam automatically include the .ini file with a scenario? If not, that's kind of a problem because you need the .ini file if you want to update the scenario to a new version of the database. Or does Steam take care of this automagically?

Thanks. And thanks for your patience with my dumb questions. There is probably a FAQ for Steam somewhere that explains all this, but, again, I cannot find it.

I think I like Steam, but I also think it may drive me crazy. [:)]

michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

It should be in the Community. You have your own scenarios in your Workshop

Attachments
Image7.jpg
Image7.jpg (246.74 KiB) Viewed 56 times
Michael
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

On the Community screen, under Workshop, you should see all of scenarios - I usually look at them from 'Most recent'.

Attachments
Image10.jpg
Image10.jpg (359.27 KiB) Viewed 56 times
Michael
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Nope. I published it following the instructions in the Steam version of Command. It shows up in my workshop but not as one of the community files.

The scenario in question is Littoral Mission - Cebu Strait, 2018. I can see it in the Mgellis1 >> Workshop directory, but I don't see it in the Command community hub's workshop. It does not appear to have been added to the total number of scenarios. How do I tell Steam that this is a Command scenario and that it should share it with the Command community hub workshop?

It says I have it listed as Current visibility: Friendly only, but I don't know how to turn that off. I have tried changing visibility but it seems like I only have the options of "Friends Only" or "Hidden."

Is it because I've only been on Steam for a few days? Does Steam limit your ability to post scenarios until you have done other things like post a certain number of messages?

I'm sure I'm just missing something really basic because I'm new to Steam, but any help will be appreciated.

michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

ORIGINAL: Mgellis

Nope. I published it following the instructions in the Steam version of Command. It shows up in my workshop but not as one of the community files.

The scenario in question is Littoral Mission - Cebu Strait, 2018. I can see it in the Mgellis1 >> Workshop directory, but I don't see it in the Command community hub's workshop. It does not appear to have been added to the total number of scenarios. How do I tell Steam that this is a Command scenario and that it should share it with the Command community hub workshop?

It says I have it listed as Current visibility: Friendly only, but I don't know how to turn that off. I have tried changing visibility but it seems like I only have the options of "Friends Only" or "Hidden."

Is it because I've only been on Steam for a few days? Does Steam limit your ability to post scenarios until you have done other things like post a certain number of messages?

I'm sure I'm just missing something really basic because I'm new to Steam, but any help will be appreciated.

You can access the Public Command Workshop??
There should be a 'Public' option under Visibility. Only thing stopping that I would have thought would have been not being part of the Command Public Workshop group.
Michael
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

I think I figured it out. It looks like I have a limited account because I have never bought anything on Steam. I can read the forums, but it looks like I cannot join groups and, therefore, cannot post content to the group's workshops. To open my account, it looks like I have to purchase at least $5 of goods or services (e.g., save $5 in my Steam Wallet).

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... &l=english

So...maybe someday. I admit I think it is a little cheesy to say, in effect, "you have to pay for the privilege of being able to add content and thus make our web site better." Really? Really? But the workshops, forums, etc. do look interesting so maybe the next time I buy a game, I'll buy it from Steam and "unlimit" my account.

michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Didn't realize that limitation. This could be restrictive for players who don't want to actually use Steam-installed games.
Michael
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

This is one of an anti-piracy measure, for not letting pirated gamers accessing resources from Steam Workshop. But it also blocked genuine non-Steam players as well.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

I am sympathetic to the anti-piracy aspect and the $5 really isn't that much (and you can spend just $5 if you want to instead of $50 by using your "Steam Wallet," which is a very nice feature...I may end up doing this just to have access to the features that Steam offers like the workshops). I just wish Steam was more clear about the way they did things. Now that I know what happened, I'm like, "Oh well. It's their forum and their company and their rules. I'll just have to live with it." But for a couple of days I had no idea what the problem was and I wasted time looking for solutions and could not find the answers I needed. In the end, I had to go to Google to figure this out. I should have been able to use their own search engine and FAQ to identify the issue.
ORIGINAL: Dysta

This is one of an anti-piracy measure, for not letting pirated gamers accessing resources from Steam Workshop. But it also blocked genuine non-Steam players as well.
Roadtruck

Post by Roadtruck »

"We've chosen to limit access to these features as a means of protecting our customers from those who abuse Steam for purposes such as spamming and phishing. Malicious users often operate in the community on accounts, which have not spent any money, reducing the individual risk of performing the actions they do," - Steam
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

If you don't like steam don't use it. We'll be supporting it regardless.

My view is if you have to spend 5 bucks and in a return have a service that saves you more than 5 dollars of your time you're probably making out.

Mike

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”