Win10...I wuz warned,LOL

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

JWW

RE: Win10...I wuz warned,LOL

Post by JWW »

I did it a little differently. I bought a new HP computer with Win 10 for Christmas, replacing my five-year-old Win 7 Dell. I skipped Win 8 entirely. I used a Microsoft program to transfer things from the old to the new computer. It has worked great. I love Win 10. Not everyone can do it that way. But I was due for a new computer.
operating

Post by operating »

My dell XPS is about 2-3 years old (fourth dell since 2000), 2 of which went up in smoke, 12 giga ram, didn't have enough to cool them down. Regardless, never had as strong an upgrade issue with any until this upgrade. Mind you this pc is not out the woods yet and may have to bring the tower over to the Best Buy computer Geeks. Only in hindsight would I have used a program such as you did...
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

50 million user and counting can't all be wrong [;)]

I am one of those 50 million. I beta tested for a long time. Right now I am very happy with Windows 10.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

67 million, as of August 22, so maybe more than 100 million now tbh.

and i also was on the insider program parusski, so as well really enjoyed the ride, and have stayed with it, had some very easy times tbh, unlike a few others i've tested over the years, nothing major to mention, as most have already said here, it's drivers and hardware that crash most O/S, not the O/S it self 99% of the time of the programs installed on it, for me it's passed windows xp sp3 for ease of use and a pure gaming platform now, which is my second favourite O/S, with windows 8.1 being next, with windows 98SE a long distant memory, was great at the time and had some very happy times with it, but not the easiest at times to use of do support with either.

as soon as the Xbox one went to windows 10, i knew it was here to stay and also stable, as xbox owners on mass moan more than most for stability and ease of use, also testing for some game on this platform so really liking the ease of use now how one can go from one to another.

as long as anyone is happy with what ever they have and it works, that's all that really matters[;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Well I never upgraded mine to 10, probably wont tell another year or so. Just don't have time for CTD and other bugs right now.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus
It's always better to do a clean Windows 10 installation instead of an upgrade.
Part of the problems that people have with Windows 10 are caused by installing Windows 10 over a previous version.

Sure, understood, but I see no reason to take the time to do a clean install, since I am perfectly content with Win7. And maybe the reason people are "installing Windows 10 over a previous version" is because Microsoft is shoving it down their throats?

In general I like Win10, just not enough to do a clean install on my existing Win7 computer.

VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: 76mm
ORIGINAL: VPaulus
It's always better to do a clean Windows 10 installation instead of an upgrade.
Part of the problems that people have with Windows 10 are caused by installing Windows 10 over a previous version.

Sure, understood, but I see no reason to take the time to do a clean install, since I am perfectly content with Win7. And maybe the reason people are "installing Windows 10 over a previous version" is because Microsoft is shoving it down their throats?

In general I like Win10, just not enough to do a clean install on my existing Win7 computer.

Fair enough. I too will not upgrade my Windows 8.1 (which I really enjoy without the metro Interface) or my Windows 7 partition to Windows 10. Only my gaming machine in in Windows 10, soon or later games will work on DirectX12 :P
wodin

Post by wodin »

Had the same issue..it worked well for a few weeks then wham couldn't boot..couldn't repair, couldn't safe mode..ended up having to wipe the HD and start again.

Had to reinstall Win 7..then in a moment of madness decided to try Win 10 one more time..OK at the moment but if it does it again will be sticking to Win 7 until a few patches in.
ORIGINAL: m10bob

When Win10 came down the road, I eagerly upgraded for free, online, and for the most part it seemed to be working, but I share files with folks all over the world, and many of them are professional IT kinda guys.
They were warning me to go back to Win7 and told me of many bugs being found.
They feel the issue is with the version which was offered free, online, but not the version already installed on new CPU's.

Well, last week my computer finally crashed exactly with the symptoms described from here to Ne Zealand, Austria, the Netherlands, and all points between.

The darned thing will boot into "safe mode" and at that point will not even recognize you as the administrator of the computer!!!..
After failing with alt-cntrl-delete, and the ESC button, and holding the power button for ten seconds, and all other forms of trickery on my part, I finally had to use system recovery, (No, not restore from a prior date, that failed as well, I had to go full recovery.
I did it from inside the control panel so did not lose much of my apps nor other files.
(I have 4 HD's daisy chained together with approx 2000 Gigs so my larger files were not on my C drive anyway..)

Just passing this along so if you get that darned "SAFE MODE" problem, you may remember how I got out of it...
tcarusil

Post by tcarusil »

My Windows 10 update attempt was a nightmare. The first time I tried everything seemed to go well, except none of the Windows 10 features worked. I could still use the computer, but not even the calculator in Windows 10 would work. So I called MicroSoft. After their low level support could not figure it out, they gave me an appointment for another phone consult with higher level support. They didn't call at the appointed time.

I found a MicroSoft web site with suggestions for the upgrade, so I tried again. This time it turned my tower into a large brick. Thanks. So off to the Geek Squad. They said they would be happy to install 10 for me, but I opted for them reinstalling Windows 7. A couple of days later, now that the computer was in the shop, MicroSoft called out of the blue to help me. Thanks again.

I won't upgrade now until the computer dies.

TomC
wodin

Post by wodin »

I went back to Win 10 because I quite like it. Though if it suddenly decides to not boot again that will be it. Upto that point I was very happy with it. The issue came right out the blue, was fine the night before and worked great for a few weeks up till that point.
tcarusil..I'd never bother with MS support oh and make sure they haven't signed you upto to their expensive support service like they did to my Dad. The best thing people can do is learn how to format hard drives and install an OS which is a breeze compared to a few years ago..even Win XP could be abit of a bind reinstalling. Also when you learn how to do this learn how to partition your hard drives so if you ever have to wipe it again you only need to wipe the Windows install partition and as you've been saving all docs\pics etc on a different partition you wont loose them. Once you've learned this then in future if after trying other methods to fix an issue you always know last resort is to wipe and reinstall and it wont be so much of a pain due to a partitioned hard drive. Pretty much anyone can learn how to do this. I've had to do it a fair number of times over the years so god knows how much I'd have had to pay someone to fix it. Also a great bonus to doing this is you get rid of all the rubbish in your registery etc and so speed up your PC just like it was when you bought it. Love to know how many non tech people have ended up buying a new PC\Laptop because the one they had had gone "slow"..when really it just need a good clean up (I know my Mother in Law and Step Son have done this, my step son even buying a new laptop that on paper was prob slower than the one he had). People must think due to age a PC starts going slower like a person.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

I think what it boils down to is if you like it or not.

In my case I have the security/privacy concerns, topped with the fact that none of the new 'features' of Win10 (cortana, etc) interest me in the least. I basically prefer the OS to be as bare bones as possible, so I can devote more of my RAM and Processor power to programs (OK games). All that other bloat-ware is just garbage that has to be cleaned out before I can actually get down to using it.

So it doesn't make any sense at all to upgrade until forced to. And at that point, Linux might very well be the best choice for me given the reasons I listed above.

One thing I will watch is if MS tries to steatlth install Win10 on my PC via Windows Update. I find out exactly what every patch does now before I install it. No, I don't trust anybody. [;)]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
radic202

Post by radic202 »

All in all I enjoy Windows 10. Basically no major problems except I recently lost my search button when I open the Windows Start Button and all my Gadgets/widgets have also disappeared (they were there before and lost them on some Win 10 update). Tried everything to get them back but to no avail. No major issue for me but still annoying.

The only thing that worries me is how or what do I do if I wanted to reformat my computer when I don't have the original disk or an original download as I upgraded from Windows 7. I have 4 other 1TB HDs on my computers besides the C and System Reserve, so most of my files are all safe and backed up. Was thinking of getting and SSD dive for my C but still worried about how I install it without the Win 10 installation software.
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

Code: Select all

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

and use the iso setup tool (media creation tool) to burn to what ever you like, i use a thumb drive, but it can be a dvd or hard drive either if you wish
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: tcarusil

My Windows 10 update attempt was a nightmare. The first time I tried everything seemed to go well, except none of the Windows 10 features worked. I could still use the computer, but not even the calculator in Windows 10 would work. So I called MicroSoft. After their low level support could not figure it out, they gave me an appointment for another phone consult with higher level support. They didn't call at the appointed time.

I found a MicroSoft web site with suggestions for the upgrade, so I tried again. This time it turned my tower into a large brick. Thanks. So off to the Geek Squad. They said they would be happy to install 10 for me, but I opted for them reinstalling Windows 7. A couple of days later, now that the computer was in the shop, MicroSoft called out of the blue to help me. Thanks again.

I won't upgrade now until the computer dies.

TomC

Here! Here! (Like they do in Parliament)[:)]
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
radic202

Post by radic202 »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

Code: Select all

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

and use the iso setup tool (media creation tool) to burn to what ever you like, i use a thumb drive, but it can be a dvd or hard drive either if you wish

Thanks for this: that looks like to me that I would need to reformat using Win 7 installation disks then re-install via your link win 10. Guess long process but at least I have bookmarked it and have it for whenever I decide to do so. Much obliged, thanks..
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

reformatting will be done by the win10 installation process. For more info, see Option 1 in this link: http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to- ... indows-10/
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

once the free upgrade has been done, a fresh install of a clean windows 10 can be done without a S/N / Key at any time also for free
joswilliams

Post by joswilliams »

I still don't understand why MS need all this stealth install of win10. Currently I'm using win7 and don't have any complaints. I'll change my OS, when I 'll want this, not when microsoft will tell me to do this.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

for stuff like direct X 12 and 12.1 it's needed, but as support will soon be gone for all other version, if you want something that won't be sorted in the future, then that's fine as i know many who still are more than happy on windows xp, and some firms on win NT4 or win 2k even, but it's a choice, as while some think it's better, not everyone does, but after 29 July 2016 it's no longer free and any one who wishes to go down this route from then, will have to pay, so plenty of time yet to make there mind up and stick either with what they have or buy after that date if needed[;)]
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Still have 95/98/XP/7 cd/dvd. Though I don't really see the need to ever install them again. (Had Vista, gave it away.)

More than happy with 10. Especially as it 's free.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.

Return to “General Discussion”