Win10...I wuz warned,LOL

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

m10bob

Win10...I wuz warned,LOL

Post by m10bob »

When Win10 came down the road, I eagerly upgraded for free, online, and for the most part it seemed to be working, but I share files with folks all over the world, and many of them are professional IT kinda guys.
They were warning me to go back to Win7 and told me of many bugs being found.
They feel the issue is with the version which was offered free, online, but not the version already installed on new CPU's.

Well, last week my computer finally crashed exactly with the symptoms described from here to Ne Zealand, Austria, the Netherlands, and all points between.

The darned thing will boot into "safe mode" and at that point will not even recognize you as the administrator of the computer!!!..
After failing with alt-cntrl-delete, and the ESC button, and holding the power button for ten seconds, and all other forms of trickery on my part, I finally had to use system recovery, (No, not restore from a prior date, that failed as well, I had to go full recovery.
I did it from inside the control panel so did not lose much of my apps nor other files.
(I have 4 HD's daisy chained together with approx 2000 Gigs so my larger files were not on my C drive anyway..)

Just passing this along so if you get that darned "SAFE MODE" problem, you may remember how I got out of it...

zakblood

RE: Win10...I wuz warned,LOL

Post by zakblood »

the update to windows 10 i'd guess wasn't the problem, it seemed you already maybe had issues with windows 7 that maybe you wasn't aware of, as if a full system recovery from inside windows 10 recovered windows, to me this is a blessing as no version prior to this would have recovered from a upgrade then failure etc, so for me your lucky to have been on windows 10, as for many it won't be used, but recover and back and stability of windows 10 so far is better than any other previous releases of any operating system bar none inc any other makes as well, it's built in, works and it's free, while most will never use it, it does work as you have seen and works well.

i also used the free upgrade just to get my systems hardware registered on the M/S servers and have now wiped my systems and installed a fresh free copy of windows 10 also for free from a fresh install and M/S installed the key for me once online, this way for me is a better pc and O/S as no previous junk left over from an old system, once a free upgrade is done, everyone has the option of doing it, so for me it's the better and more correct and long term choice.
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

I've taken the preventative path for fixing Win10 problems...that is I refuse to upgrade to Win10. Good thing I control all updates manually, I've been able to keep the stealth Win10 Downloads off my machine as well.

So far it has worked beautifully. Though I have a feeling that in 4 years I will be learning to use Linux.

Win 10 just has far too many issues for me to even try it. From privacy concerns to forced upgrades (which can cause a box to brick), I just want no part of it.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

wiped my systems and installed a fresh free copy

This is the only way to ensure a trouble free upgrade path. Now that version 1511 can be installed from usb and will accept the previous OS serial number during the install process, there's no need to do a 'dirty' upgrade over the top of the existing OS.
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

50 million user and counting can't all be wrong [;)]
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: zakblood

haha, that's a good one. I did the free upgrade to Win10 on my Surface, which I don't use much, and it worked perfectly, but I was wary of upgrading my desktop, which is my main computer.

Last week I thought that Win10 had seemed pretty stable and decided to upgrade my desktop. Big Mistake!!!

First, I lost all internet and could not get it back for the life of me, after several hours of trying (I'm not a complete computer newb). Also, Win10 de-installed Chrome and the Office 2010 programs that I had installed in Win7. What the hell? I soon rolled back to Win 7 and don't intend to go back on this computer.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: 76mm
First, I lost all internet and could not get it back for the life of me, after several hours of trying (I'm not a complete computer newb). Also, Win10 de-installed Chrome and the Office 2010 programs that I had installed in Win7. What the hell? I soon rolled back to Win 7 and don't intend to go back on this computer.
It's always better to do a clean Windows 10 installation instead of an upgrade.
Part of the problems that people have with Windows 10 are caused by installing Windows 10 over a previous version.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

agreed
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I dunno that many eat at McDonalds every day now all over the world and if they think that's a great hamburger well Barnum was right then. [:D]
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

well it will soon be on 1 billion devices so then it will be the best one of all time, so far by a long way, as that's the plan[;)]

m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Just a reminder. contrary to popular belief, Adolf Hitler was voted into power by "popular vote".

Feel free to read the very last line of the original post.
Was not trying to dish one OP over another, but relating how I was able to recover from my personal experience, and FYI, till last week, I also was a fan of Win10..

Currently age 67 and still looking for the promised version of Windows which will play my Dos games, since Win 3.1 failed.

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

windows 10 64bit, with full support for DBGL: DOSBox Game Launcher, works a treat and will play all your old dos games
hadberz

Post by hadberz »

Windows 10 have been pretty good on my system. However, I did develop a weird memory issue that was not around for Windows 8.1. My computer can no longer run 16GB, 12 GB seems fine though. I had a 4GB stick in each memory slot. The Windows 10 OS would become unstable and finally crash. Taking out one stick solves the issue. So I thought a stick must be bad. Using Memtest86 every stick passed, every slot passed using just a stick to test the slot, 2 sticks passed, and 3 sticks passed. However, 4 sticks will not pass, Memtest86 gives tons of errors. All other parts of the system are fine. I can only assume it is just a odd combination of things that causes the issue. That said, Win 10 has been flawless on my laptops and phone.
AMD 5800X 8 core 3.8 GHz
Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi (F63d Bios)
32 GB G-Skill DDR4 3200
MSI Gaming X Trio RX 6950 XT 16GB
Dell S2721DGF 2560x1440 165Hz
Dell S2719DGF 2560x1440 144Hz
Samsung 870 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe drive
Win 11 Pro
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: hadberz
However, 4 sticks will not pass, Memtest86 gives tons of errors. All other parts of the system are fine. I can only assume it is just a odd combination of things that causes the issue. That said, Win 10 has been flawless on my laptops and phone.
Remember that the more sticks you use on a motherboard more is the system prone to issues.
Personally, never use more that one paired of sticks.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Please don't take this personally, I'm just pointing out the opposing point of view.

Sure 50 million can all be wrong. That is 50 million and using that potentially have no idea how intrusive Win 10 is into your privacy. You actually can fool all of the people some of the time after all.

Honestly, how many of those 50 million just accepted the upgrade and didn't even read the EULA? How many people do that every time they install software? And how many of those people would have actually bought it if it hadn't been made free and all but forced on them? I have read stories of people doing their scheduled updates at night, only to find the computer is trying to install Win 10 without their permission the next morning. True stories? Maybe, maybe not, but I don't take chances.

I'm sure it works great for a lot of people, but I don't like Big Brother MS looking over my shoulder all the time.

As I've aged I've gotten more and more wary of anything that sounds too good to be true, and a 'Free' upgrade from MS is exactly that...there are ALWAYS strings attached. At least that is my life experience.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

EULA is the same version it's always been since day one tbh, it's just been tweaked, it's funny how nobody says the same thing about anything else other than it, it's as if we all have something to hide, as if anyone does, then don't go online, own a phone, use a bank or write your name down anywhere so others can't trace it, with face cam recognition now days, even walking about we get notices as big brother is always watching, i don't fear it, i think it's great and a correct step forward to the next century, i'd have a chip fitted now for 24/7 tracking with no second thought what so ever[:D] [;)]

keyless entry for house and car, chip for banking no passwords needed, seems all good to me[&o]

don't fear the future, embrace it[;)]
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

I did the upgrade, it worked fine.

Switched from AMD to Intel and did a fresh install.

Still works fine.

Don't mind the auto upgrade. And in a previous thread I mentioned turning off the intrusive stuff.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

ORIGINAL: hadberz
However, 4 sticks will not pass, Memtest86 gives tons of errors. All other parts of the system are fine. I can only assume it is just a odd combination of things that causes the issue. That said, Win 10 has been flawless on my laptops and phone.
Remember that the more sticks you use on a motherboard more is the system prone to issues.
Personally, never use more that one paired of sticks.

My AMD board had four sticks. My Intel has two, for the moment. Both boards have no problem with Win 10.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

potentially have no idea how intrusive Win 10 is into your privacy

One of the first tools I ran when I installed 10:

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
operating

Post by operating »

Ya know I was pretty darn happy with 8.1, however, the darn popups to do the free 10 upgrade was getting pretty annoying, so I finally caved and downloaded it.. Well it's been about 3 weeks since and finally was able to get my favorites and previous existing desktop icons today. The prompts to do imports did not work. To me Cortana is a complete waste, did not ask for it, nor asked for it. I'll admit I'm resistant to change. A help wizard with the install would have made the experience a lot easier to manage or understand what the heck just happened ...
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest

Return to “General Discussion”