Still having Finnish border glitches in 1.03

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Vic

JAMiAM

Still having Finnish border glitches in 1.03

Post by JAMiAM »

Hi,

I have Finnish units on the red B hexes, and have not attacked any unit/hexes beyond the red B hexes, yet I just got dinged for 20 PPs for an "Unauthorized Finnish Frontier incursion". I did convert 3 hexes on the other side of the B line at the top end of the border region because no Soviet units apparently were exerting zoc on them, but I have not physically crossed the line. Please fix this so that only physically crossing the border, or attacking across it triggers the penalty, and not by merely converting the hexes passively.

If you need a save game, you'll need to look at the most recent PBEM++ server game with Baloo7777 where I am the Axis player.
lancer

RE: Still having Finnish border glitches in 1.03

Post by lancer »

Hi JAmiam,

The test is unit based, not hexes. Converting hexes across the border shouldn't affect anything.

I can't pull games off the server so, if possible, a save game with that turn would be helpful to see what's gone on.

Cheers,
Cameron
Vic

Post by Vic »

Please also verify both players are using v1.02 or higher.

The previous bug is only fixed if both PBEM++ players are playing their turns on a 1.02 or higher system.

You can find this version info of your opponent in the strategic tab in the top.

Best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

Hello. I guess thee FOW just lifted! We started a pair of games taking each side and using the 1.03b version.
JRR
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

This is the next Soviet turn.

Attachments
SovMessag..rnstart.jpg
SovMessag..rnstart.jpg (99.12 KiB) Viewed 330 times
JRR
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

Hi,

As Baloo7777 mentions, we started and have played the entire set of mirrored turns on 1.03b. For what it's worth, the issue went away this turn. I don't know if it has anything to do with him moving a Soviet unit so that it reconverted one of the three hexes that I had converted on his side of the B-line, or if it's something completely unrelated. In any event, I didn't suffer any additional PP losses this turn from the Finnish problem.
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

This has now happened during the German turn in the other pbem game with me as Germans.On the previous turn the Fins attacked from (38,6) and advanced onto the B in (39,6). No further attacks were made and none across the B line. I lost 20 pp's. Tough time to lose them too.

Attachments
FinsViolation3.jpg
FinsViolation3.jpg (343.53 KiB) Viewed 330 times
JRR
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

Cameron and Vic,

Perhaps you might double check your dB for the hexes involved, since it appears that there may be a rogue hex that is not properly defined?

Baloo7777,

You should do the same thing I did in our other game and avail yourself of the PP helper your next opportunity for the lost PPs.
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi,

Checked the hexes, all good.

There's a possibility it might be triggered by having a unit one hex off the border, attacking and then using the free movement after combat to advance directly onto the border. Importantly the Finnish unit wouldn't have expended any AP other than for the combat and the one-hex free movement thereafter.

Would that fit with what's happened in your games?

Cheers,
Cameron
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

ORIGINAL: lancer

Hi,

Checked the hexes, all good.

There's a possibility it might be triggered by having a unit one hex off the border, attacking and then using the free movement after combat to advance directly onto the border. Importantly the Finnish unit wouldn't have expended any AP other than for the combat and the one-hex free movement thereafter.

Would that fit with what's happened in your games?

Cheers,
Cameron

That's what happened in the game that I am the Axis in.
JRR
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi baloo,

Good to know.

See what we can do.

Cheers,
Cameron
Steve110

Post by Steve110 »

Hi,

Sorry to bring this up again, but just had a similar issue occur in my current PBEM game. Both players 1.02.

Previously in this game (and other games vs Ai) sitting ON the Red Border hexes and attacking across into Russia, but with no follow up move, has not generated an incursion.

Suddenly this time it has - and the only thing different is that due to weight of units I have unintentionally pushed a ZOC into a Russian hex (removing a fortification as well it seems). Dinged me -20PP.

This seems to suggest to me that a ZOC into Russia does in-fact trigger the incursion penalty, hopefully not repeatedly if no Soviets are nearby to re-convert the hex to soviet control!

cheers
Steve
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi Steve,

Pretty sure that a ZOC doesn't cause this.

What does, however, is when you attack a soviet unit that's sitting on the border and then move your unit onto the border by taking advantage of the free move after a successful combat. How does that fit with your situation?

You'll get hit with a violation penalty for the following turn only.

Fixed in the coming update.

Cheers,
Cameron
Steve110

Post by Steve110 »

Hi Cameron,

Well, the bug you refer to doesn't relate at all to the attack that I assumed had triggered the incursion. This had my attackers already on the border hexes attacking into a Russian fortified hex adjacent to Leningrad.

However, I'm wondering now if the effect came from an attack that may have been made elsewhere on the Karelian front. Unfortunately I don't have a save that can clarify this, so will just keep an eye out if future.

Cheers for the feedback.

Steve
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi Steve,

If you were sitting on the border and attacked over it then that's a legitimate border incident and you'd be hit with violation penalties.

The Finnish Government takes a dim view of you stirring up the Russia bear on the other side of the border.

Cheers,
Cameron
RandomAttack

Post by RandomAttack »

Think it might be another PBEM vs SP difference. I only play SP and have never been penalized unless I literally advance past the border. Attack over it all the time, etc. (just don't advance past it).
Steve110

Post by Steve110 »

Ditto. Vs AI cross border attackers never trigger an incursion as long as your units don't advance off the red B hexes.

I'm not really clear on why it would be different in PBEM, but if it is would be very useful to know for future reference!

cheers
Steve
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi,

It should be the same for the both.

The code handling Finland is pretty complex so it's possible that you're getting a free ride in Single Player.

I'll take a look.

Cheers,
Cameron
grahamsh

Post by grahamsh »

Would it be too much to hope for a dialog box that says "your move or attack would violate the Finnish border policy". Fairly normal in other games that you get a warning when violating neutrality or other policy type situations. A dialog box warning for cross-frontal movement would be nice too.
Graham
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi Graham,

Good idea. Not sure if it's doable in the engine, though. We'll take a look.

Cheers,
Cameron

Return to “Tech Support”