Tale of the Sheep! - JocMeister (A) vs. Lowpe (J)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

JeffroK

RE: Canada and India invaded!

Post by JeffroK »

Try the latest offering from John Tiller, Panzer Battles Normandy at Company (and smaller) level and 30 minute turns!!!

They have a good system and are always imroving (For East Front fans, they have a Kursk, South Flank offering, for $39.95USD
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Try the latest offering from John Tiller, Panzer Battles Normandy at Company (and smaller) level and 30 minute turns!!!

They have a good system and are always imroving (For East Front fans, they have a Kursk, South Flank offering, for $39.95USD

Thanks for the tip. I´ll check it out! John Tillers East front is something I remember very fondly. I think I even have the box left somewhere. [:)]
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

No turn from Jeff since Thursday so no update.

We reached 15th of August. Nothing has happened since the last update outside China.

Got some SIGINT that the 48th and 21st ID are planning to attack Prince Rupert. This is probably old stuff and Jeff havn´t changed prepp on them. Both are currently in Alaska but taking PR would give him absolutely nothing at this point.
poodlebrain

Post by poodlebrain »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

We reached 15th of August. Nothing has happened since the last update outside China.

Got some SIGINT that the 48th and 21st ID are planning to attack Prince Rupert. This is probably old stuff and Jeff havn´t changed prepp on them. Both are currently in Alaska but taking PR would give him absolutely nothing at this point.
What are the benefits of getting to 100 prep? Units can gain experience, but that shouldn't apply to these Japanese units who likely exceed the maximum from training. A second benefit is that when you change the target location that the unit retains up to 33% preparation for the new target. (This is based on personal observation.) Some might value surprise and 33% preparation more than 100% preparation and alert defenders.
Never trust a man who's ass is wider than his shoulders.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: poodlebrain

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

What are the benefits of getting to 100 prep? Units can gain experience, but that shouldn't apply to these Japanese units who likely exceed the maximum from training. A second benefit is that when you change the target location that the unit retains up to 33% preparation for the new target. (This is based on personal observation.) Some might value surprise and 33% preparation more than 100% preparation and alert defenders.
Prep is the equivalent of making plans, gathering intel on enemy defences, adjusting plans to deal with or avoid defences, and most importantly getting intel on landing spots. When the US Marines began their Gilberts campaign the did not have good intel on the approach to the beaches and when the landing day came their landing craft had to unload the marines on a coral reef that blocked approach to the beach. It was something like 1000 feet (or maybe yards) of wading on sharp coral to get to the beach, and they could not carry the supply that was supposed to go with them. That was partial prep!

Same thing happened to the Canadian brigade landed in a raid at Dieppe in Northern France: the landing included a goodly tank force to support the infantry against the known MG nests, but no one looked at the type of beach. The fist-sized rocks (called shingle) got into the tank treads and disabled every tank. The attack failed with huge casualties in dead, wounded and captured. Poor prep!

The game covers everything from troop training, suppression of defences to tide tables, water depth/beach slope etc. under the heading of Preparation. At 100& prep you will still have some losses on landing from random factors that cannot be planned for. At 33% you will take huge casualties from troops and equipment falling in the water, and losses when the enemy shoots at your troops because they are not suppressed.
I landed at one place with troops 50% prepared and lost about 40% of then as disabled and 20% destroyed.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Omaha Beach was 100% prepped

I'd still take a partially prepped , heavily supported surprise attack over a 100% into the teeth of a well prepped defender.

One thing in game is that the japanese player knows the effect of sigint and should use this to stymie the allied player.

ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

[center]Image[/center]
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Saturday night pick me upper!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XHcPYo ... Q&index=60

[&o]

I´ve been partying on coffee and candy for 3 weeks now. Kind of miss beer! [:D]
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

[font="Verdana"]India[/font]

Here is a map of the situation. I havn´t reconned for 2 days but another set of flights are ordered for tomorrow. Going by the old recon troops are moving North to rescue the trapped Japanese troops. That works absolutely perfect for me! [&o]

I don´t think my main force is spotted yet. They will shift hex in two turn. I´m not going to shock across the river into Dacca but will circle around it from the North instead. 1st Marines and 70th British are held back for now and are sitting at Jessore forming a reserve.

Jeff is furiously bombing the B squadron of the 3rd Hussars in the North. This is a sacrificial unit that will withdraw in 14 days. I just sent them there to cut the rail.

We held off another attack at Ledo but it will fall in the next. But otherwise things are looking really good in India [:)]

Attachments
India39.jpg
India39.jpg (770.39 KiB) Viewed 50 times
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

I would try to make Chittagong or Cox's Bazar an American base if you can arrange your troops that way when you recapture them. It will allow you to spend supplies to create PT Boats over in India/Burma. [;)]
[center]Image[/center]
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

I would try to make Chittagong or Cox's Bazar an American base if you can arrange your troops that way when you recapture them. It will allow you to spend supplies to create PT Boats over in India/Burma. [;)]

That is a good suggestion! Didn´t think about that. [:)]
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

[font="Verdana"]SOPAC[/font]

While the Indian operation is in full swing we won´t sit idle in SOPAC. Time to start moving here as well. A gazillion engineers just unloaded at Auckland and Melbourne. About half of them will be deployed in the Espiritu Santo area. Efafe and Luganville will be expanded to support an operation pushing North toward Ndeni. The other half is already on their way to the Townesville area were bases have started expanding.

Jeff is extremely weak in this area and I could probably go straight for Ndeni but I currently feel no rush and I think a slow and steady approach here is more prudent. Besides I need to expand bases to deploy LBA anyway.

I have about 5 divisions ready in reserve (24th, 27th US, Americal, 2nd Marines and 3rd Australian). These will not be used in the push itself but rather held back in reserve while prepping for operation "Nicotine" which will happen in a few months.

The fleet just received 180k of fuel at Auckland and once replenished will take a more offensive posture. The possible presence of KB will force me to be careful but if I can confirm KB deep in SOPAC that would be worth quite a few losses.

Attachments
SOPAC25.jpg
SOPAC25.jpg (297.93 KiB) Viewed 50 times
poodlebrain

Post by poodlebrain »

Can you cut off the Japanese at Ledo? If they have to be withdrawn overland instead of by rail they are useless to the Japanese for months at the minimum.
Never trust a man who's ass is wider than his shoulders.
Mike McCreery

Post by Mike McCreery »

I cant find a date in this AAR in this or the last page ;]

If it is 1942 you are doing awesome!!! If it is 1945 not so much ;]
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: poodlebrain
Can you cut off the Japanese at Ledo? If they have to be withdrawn overland instead of by rail they are useless to the Japanese for months at the minimum.

That is what I´m hoping for. [:)]

ORIGINAL: Wargmr
I cant find a date in this AAR in this or the last page ;]

If it is 1942 you are doing awesome!!! If it is 1945 not so much ;]

Ah, I should probably add a date from time to time! [:D]

Its 18th of August 1942 if I remember correctly! [:)]
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Saving myself from page 2. [X(]

Doesn´t seem like I´ll get a turn tonight so no update.
catwhoorg

Post by catwhoorg »

:(
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

[font="Verdana"]20th August -42[/font]

Got a turn for today. [:)]

------------------------
NORPAC/WC
------------------------

Getting more and more convinced Jeff isn´t finished here. SIGINT picks up even more Arty moving for PH.
6th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion is loaded on xAK Teishun Maru moving to Pearl Harbor.
1st Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion is loaded on a Japanese xAK moving to Pearl Harbor.

This makes the at least 4 different arty units moving for PH.

Besides that Jeff has tried a couple of bombings with little result. He seems to seek targets on the perimeter right now. I have arranged a trap for him here but I need some luck with timing for it to work.

------------------------
SOPAC
------------------------

Mostly logistics. No sign of the IJN. He has dumped some troops at Tulagi though. Recon confirms 3 units and 6000 men in place. The airfield has been expanded.

The USN remains hidden in the shadows ready to rush forward.

------------------------
India
------------------------

Situation is largely the same as in post #1650. My main force has now shifted to the hex NW of Dacca. So now Jeff knows I´m coming. I decided to divide my forces a little bit. Jeff looks really weak at Rajshashi as some troops have moved North. I split off 2 Indian IDs backed up by some armor to see if I can dislodge him from there.

Jeff tried to strafe 2 of my armored units. Sadly (for him) my stack of two Indian IDs just moved into that hex. The integrated AA shot down 32 Oscars. Heh! [:'(]

------------------------
China
------------------------

Can´t really be bothered. Supply is out so trying to defend is just meaningless. Starting to pull back to Chungking.

------------------------
VPs
------------------------

Ratio is now down to 1:3,2. Allied VPs are up to 9475. Looking good for my target of 10k. [:)]

Attachments
India40.jpg
India40.jpg (811.98 KiB) Viewed 50 times
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Very nice on those Oscars, that has got to hurt.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Return to “After Action Reports”