A poor lonely observer corps

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

stretch

A poor lonely observer corps

Post by stretch »

This is the last remnant of the Rangoon-Mandalay defense trying to march back to Allied territory. Most units made it out but this one got choked off and has been dutifully been marching home.... Its June 2, 1942. Supply drops got too costly when Oscars moved into the area.

He's one hex from freedom but is only moving 2 miles per turn and there's IJA heading into his location. He is doomed. So close... Poor thing.

Attachments
poorguy.jpg
poorguy.jpg (216.21 KiB) Viewed 170 times
KMCCARTHY

RE: A poor lonely observer corps

Post by KMCCARTHY »

Have you thought about sending a sub to pick him up? Maybe a PBY?
stretch

Post by stretch »

I've changed it's HQ to Southeast Asia to be sure it's not restricted (It shouldn't have been anyway) and when I try to pick it up with PBY's I am told "Cannot air transport restricted troops"

Attachments
restricted.jpg
restricted.jpg (57.89 KiB) Viewed 170 times
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Prepare an ambush of the IJA unit when it crosses that river. They won't be expecting that.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I know this from experience. Have them look for the following ingredients: bamboo, charcoal, sulfur, saltpeter and some pebbles. You can make a cannon out of that.

desicat

Post by desicat »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I know this from experience. Have them look for the following ingredients: bamboo, charcoal, sulfur, saltpeter and some pebbles. You can make a cannon out of that.

Unfortunately they will also need a diamond.....
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: desicat

It was shown that the recoil from such a cannon would have detrimental effects on the holder.

Attachments
Gorn_Kirk_cannon.jpg
Gorn_Kirk_cannon.jpg (30.46 KiB) Viewed 170 times
stretch

Post by stretch »

If they have the time, geofflambert, if they have the time....
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: stretch

I've changed it's HQ to Southeast Asia to be sure it's not restricted (It shouldn't have been anyway) and when I try to pick it up with PBY's I am told "Cannot air transport restricted troops"

You're getting this message because you are clicking on "Troop transport" mission, which selects a unit at Calcutta (in this case) and then clicking the destination hex. The unit it is selecting at Calcutta is restricted.

To get this done properly you should click on Supply Transport, then select the hex. Then you would change to "Pick up troops" and it will allow you to select from units within that hex to pick up, if there are any.

However, I think it's moot because I don't think you can transport Observor Corps via even PBY.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

ORIGINAL: desicat

It was shown that the recoil from such a cannon would have detrimental effects on the holder.

Well, not if you go for plunging fire as you see in this case.

stretch

Post by stretch »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

ORIGINAL: stretch

You're getting this message because you are clicking on "Troop transport" mission, which selects a unit at Calcutta (in this case) and then clicking the destination hex. The unit it is selecting at Calcutta is restricted.

To get this done properly you should click on Supply Transport, then select the hex. Then you would change to "Pick up troops" and it will allow you to select from units within that hex to pick up, if there are any.

However, I think it's moot because I don't think you can transport Observor Corps via even PBY.

Hmm I could dispatch a sub for sentimental reasons... be about 15 turns before its there. too late I am afraid.
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

Observer Corps are too big to fit in any transport. Those guys are big. Combat engineers as well.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

2 miles a day along a track??

Should be easily 5-10 miles.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: JeffK

2 miles a day along a track??

Should be easily 5-10 miles.
By the movement dot, they are bypassing Cox's Bazar, so they are not following the road - they are hacking through jungle, while disabled, disrupted, fatigued and with 19 morale. I'd say they are doing better than expected!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Nah, I'm running from the japanese supermen, at least 1 hex per day.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Keep pushing!
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

This unit has 0 troops
What exactly is moving at 2 miles per day? The idea of a unit?
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Isn't it a disabled squad? Emaciated, feverish, moribund soldiers trying to reach their destination?
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

ORIGINAL: Yaab

Isn't it a disabled squad? Emaciated, feverish, moribund soldiers trying to reach their destination?

They should show up under 'other troops'

May want to check the pulse on them
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Damn, you are right! So what/who is actually doing the walk? A bug?

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”