The Gamiest Game in Town - EL (J) vs Rio Bravo (A)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lowpe

RE: The Gamiest Game in Town. El Lobo as the Red 1s and 0s (J), vs. Rio Bravo as the Green 1s and 0s (A)

Post by Lowpe »

Vehicles, Man![X(]

What is going on there?[&:]

The end game sucks enough, that to fight it with no supplies would really stink. The game engine doesn't do well with fuel either...stationing some at every port on the map while HI starves somewhere and the same is true to an extent with supplies. Understanding how the AI pulls and pushes supply is very important, but you have to have it first!

el lobo

RE: The Gamiest Game in Town. El Lobo as the Red 1s and 0s (J), vs. Rio Bravo as the Green 1s and 0s (A)

Post by el lobo »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Vehicles, Man![X(]

What is going on there?[&:]

I am clueless. [&:]

I have had warnings in Tracker almost daily since the game started. I have steadily increased production and am now at 316 going towards 330.

Should I stand-down my armor units or what?
El Lobo (J) vs Rio Bravo (A)
Rio Bravo's AAR - "The War College"
tm.asp?m=3851786

Gamey is not a game style. It is someone's definition.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

set all of your devices that use VEH to stockpile.

Then set all LCU's to NO reinforcements. Now turn on a VERY units to reinforcement. Go very slowly.

330 VEH is higher than most players economy can comfortably support. It means you are going to have to trade something off, like fewer aircraft. I would NOT turn the VEH factory repair on. 316 is almost double what most IJ players work with ...

With the IJ, you do NOT control VEH, ARM, NAV, or Merch points by expanding. You control your pools by NOT building, or better to say building very selectively. So you hoard VEH points, then for ONE unit that you decide needs some replacement tanks, you then set just that unit to reinforce and then change that desired device to not stockpile. Once you have gotten the number of devices into that unit, turn off the reiforcements, and turn the stockpiling back on.

Piano piano.
Pax
el lobo

Post by el lobo »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo
set all of your devices that use VEH to stockpile.
Done. Took me awhile to find this screen.
Then set all LCU's to NO reinforcements. Now turn on a VERY units to reinforcement. Go very slowly.
I actually did this turn two. Time to reboot. Done.
Piano piano.
Slowly??
tm.asp?m=3851786

Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Yeah, way too high vehicle production. It shows up in two screens: afvs and vehicles I think. Motorized support and tractors etc are all vehicles.

But where are they all going given the high production rate? If you use tracker go to devices and see what you have been making vehicle wise.

You don't even need tracker, simply check daily production for vehicles.

PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: el lobo
Piano piano.
Slowly??
yes. literally "softly" in the context of slowly, cautiously.
Pax
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Suspect he has been building those worthless armored cars and stuff without knowing it. really want to carefully focus on which AFV's you build.
Pax
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Suspect he has been building those worthless armored cars and stuff without knowing it. really want to carefully focus on which AFV's you build.

It has to be more than that, doesn't it?

PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

It has to be more than that, doesn't it?

Oh sure ... the equally worthless tankettes. [:D]

truthfully, those first gen armor are pretty lousy except for the T98 Lgt Tank. The later AFV devices are by and large not bad. I try not build ANY AFV's until the Type 1 Medium Tank is available ...
Pax
el lobo

Post by el lobo »

Yeah, way too high vehicle production. It shows up in two screens: afvs and vehicles I think. Motorized support and tractors etc are all vehicles.

But where are they all going given the high production rate? If you use tracker go to devices and see what you have been making vehicle wise.

I have now set AFV to stockpile also.

Attachments
vehicles7342.jpg
vehicles7342.jpg (71.91 KiB) Viewed 51 times
tm.asp?m=3851786

el lobo

Post by el lobo »

BURMA Jul 3, 1942 Turn 209

I finally have a beach-head on Ceylon at Koggala. I have a division at half-strength and and engineer unit for aviation support. I have a unit of Zeros there flying cap for now.

Trincomalee should fall in a week.

I need some tactical advise.

From the screen-shot below you can see Rio is building-up in the area. I expected this but in a couple of months. Reason; I would think that he would want more air power in the area.

Does he have the resources to make a move in Burma at this time? If so, what should I be doing?

I have on the ground, four divisions, one in Shwebo and three in Rangoon one of them strating to Magwe. I have two more divisions arriving in about a week. I can pull two more if need be in about three weeks.

My air power consists of four Zero units, two Nick units, two Tojo units, one Oscar unit, two Sally units, a Betty and a Nell unit. I now have sufficient aviation support but am still lacking in air fields in the northern part.

At sea I have a five CV KB, four BBs, a Tone raider TF and two CL TFs.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Attachments
burmaindia7342.jpg
burmaindia7342.jpg (579.46 KiB) Viewed 57 times
tm.asp?m=3851786

el lobo

Post by el lobo »

Welcome to the new lurker.

I don't know much about him but I can say, I have never met an Auzi I din't like, even if he is a AFB.
[:D]
tm.asp?m=3851786

PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

BURMA Jul 3, 1942 Turn 209

I need some tactical advise.

From the screen-shot below you can see Rio is building-up in the area. I expected this but in a couple of months. Reason; I would think that he would want more air power in the area.

Does he have the resources to make a move in Burma at this time? If so, what should I be doing?

The short answer is: YES.

The longer answer is more involved. If he has been spending his PP's on US units, buying them out and shipping them to India, by 6/42 he can have quite a few.
A rule of thumb is that you can buy out one ID each month, so at this point he could have up to 6 ID's bought out.
If he has made some leader changes and set them to prep a relevant base, by this time they should also be trained up to their national limit (USA = 60, Brit/India=55) and they should have morale and fatigue fully recovered. Meaning these units won't be walk-overs.

Now, the allied player has some trade-off's to decide. Buy out LCU's or air groups. Most do a mix, so while he could have bought out 6 USA ID's, likely it is more like 4 because he has had to spend some PP's on leaders and buying out air groups.

Next, the allied player has a major weakness that you need to exploit: Brit and OZ replacement rates are really low. If you can trade at an even rate (or lower) device for device in combat against those units, you win. You can replace your devices, he has severe limits. This tactic will allow you to effectively remove several strong divisions from play on the allied side.
Be aware, that the allied player will salvage devices from smaller units to keep his bigger units in play as long as he can. So this can take longer than you might think. Even so, the whole time you are forcing the allied player to destroy units, a good thing in any case.
This is one of the reason that I like fighting in India. If I can get the Brit/OZ units into combat, I can weaken the allied side long term.

The Indian/US replacement rates are such that they rarely ever struggle. You have to pull off very large victories to impact those forces.

Air units are a similar thing. Replacement rates are low for the allies, but they get a lot of units coming and going. A good allied player, and you should assume your opponent is well "coached" can manipulate the number and model of aircraft exiting when units withdraw. So restricted B17 air groups arrive, but then they leave with Bolo's. So even though B17 replacement rates are nill, he still gets some via air group arrivals.
Ditto all the other important models (P40/P39). Again the Brits/OZ units are very thin on replacement, but again by canabalizing some units, the allies can field a fair number of fighter and bomber groups.

One of my key goals is to keep the allies engaged throughout 42/43. I do not want them to stockpile devices or air frames. I am committed to engaging them. India or OZ will generally work to that goal.

Last: you have the KB in the Indian ocean. If your opponent knows that, or once you unveil them, be prepared for something in CENTPAC. Only the entire KB can fend off the allies at this point. mini-KB will not survive. Can't remember if you have gotten any of his CV's yet, but unless you know you have gotten 3 - 4, beware that he can mount an effective amphib operation anywhere the KB isn't. Be sure your NorPAC flank is WELL protected and has a ton of NavSearch.
Your worst nightmare is a landing in Hokkaido. If he gets into Hokkaido in strength with supply, you are in serious trouble. Even if you eject him, and in '42 you should be able to, it will cost you dearly elsewhere ... you would likely lose Burma for example, a major setback that as an allied player I would trade almost anything except more than 2 CV's to attain.
Pax
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Great advice from Pax....

If you sit back and let the Allies attack you they will develop huge pools of aircraft and good pilots and devices and hit you were you are the weakest.[X(]

Have a reserve of troops to act as a fast reaction force. Plan your main line of resistances, your island festungs, your close end defenses and get supply and infrastructure there now. Moving anything by sea gets dangerous in 43 with working torps...

Air Transports are your friends. Use air mobile units on islands where possible to ease evacuation if they are bypassed or to reinforce against an Allied landing.

Things go downhill fast against the Allies. They move faster than you think. They have better troops than you think. They can put together nasty invasions behind your lines.

Once you get A6M5 and Judy and Jill on your carriers you can have a good carrier clash versus the Allies into 43. Even so, unless you are really lucky or skilled you will trade carriers in a full out clash.

Try to think ahead about where you might be fighting and build some forts...but watch out for forts past level 5 where they start to get expensive supply wise. Some bases you can really build forts very high...Marianas, Hokkaido, Okinawa, Manila/Clark, Formosa, Singers.

You want to avoid getting your Burma army cut off and destroyed, very common Allied tactic. Invasion at Tavoy for instance. Watch out for the clear plains in Thailand, etc. You get the idea.

Look at the terrain and plan your defense around good terrain, x3 or better. You want AA, ART, Tanks and Infantry to defend and you want IJA 43 squads versus the Allied tanks...which are tough to dent.

On Atolls, lots of little units that might sneak past the BB bombardment can work with forts 5.

el lobo

Post by el lobo »

Thanks guys. I'm working on it. I give a report soon.
tm.asp?m=3851786

el lobo

Post by el lobo »

BURMA, CEYLON Jul 4-11, 1942 Turn 210-17

There has been a little action in Burma and Ceylon.

I swept Akyab until all of his fighters there were eliminated, six Hurricanes with the loss of five A6M2 Zeros.

The Bettys and Nells out of Rangoon have also done a good job attacking Cox's Bazaar and Calcutta sinking two xAKs.

On the seventh we captured Trincomalee.

He has been bombing my troops there so we launched an air strike and a bombardment on the ninth.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Naval bombardment of Madras at 35,40

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
Wellington Ic: 10 damaged
Wellington Ic: 1 destroyed on ground
Blenheim IV: 28 damaged
Blenheim IV: 3 destroyed on ground
Hurricane IIc Trop: 15 damaged
Hurricane IIc Trop: 1 destroyed on ground
Blenheim I: 7 damaged
Blenheim I: 1 destroyed on ground
Hurricane IIb Trop: 13 damaged
Hurricane IIb Trop: 1 destroyed on ground

Japanese Ships
BB Kirishima
BB Hiei
CL Naka
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
As mentioned earlier, I botched my initial invasion of Trincomalee. I brought a big enough hammer but had it in the wrong tool bag (too few ships.) I lost over half of the division and for awhile I was afraid that I was going to lose it all because they had no supply. I started flying supplies in from Port Blair and was able to keep them alive until reinforcements arrived. I am in the process of swapping them out.

I now have an Air Flotilla HQ with torps, some Zeros, Bettys, Sallys and Kates there. I am bringing in some Vals in the next few days and aviation support permitting, some Nicks soon.

In Burma I just landed a Division at Ramree Island and I have a recon unit headed to Akyab to see exactly what I am up-against there.

Attachments
ceylon71142.jpg
ceylon71142.jpg (300.08 KiB) Viewed 57 times
tm.asp?m=3851786

PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Once you get A6M5 and Judy and Jill on your carriers you can have a good carrier clash versus the Allies into 43. Even so, unless you are really lucky ... you will trade carriers in a full out clash.
+1

So you need to think through that carefully ... when you will trade and where.
Pax
el lobo

Post by el lobo »

Well, here is what I am thinking at the present.

A big factor with this is Rio's strategy. I know that he will not attempt any carrier battle until he is convinced that he has superiority. So a lot of this depends on where and when he decides it will be to his advantage.

I don't think he will come directly looking for a carrier battle but will use his carriers in combination with a major invasion. I am basing these assumptions on previous BSing sessions and his style of play. He will continue to harass me with his subs but when his carriers show, he will have the kitchen sink with them. I also suspect that he would be perfectly happy trading carriers as to eliminate the threat of the KB in '44-'45. I am thinking that the only way I will be able to be effective or even survive is with some LBA.

So my question right now is, where should I place my carriers to best counter-attack? My weakest points will be the Tavoy area and the PIs so I am leaning towards Singapore as my carrier staging area.

I am building the Kuriles and Hokkaido hopefully enough that if he comes in there I will have time to react, even from Singapore. The same with Japan proper and Java. I am also working on my recon but all my “scout 'n scoots” keep getting torpedoed.

Right now the five ship KB is heading back to Singapore to up-grade the ships and the Zeros. I am gathering the rest of the carriers at Yokohama to do the same.
tm.asp?m=3851786

el lobo

Post by el lobo »

BURMA Jul 12-14, 1942 Turn 218-220

Before the KB departed, it attacked and a bombardment TF gave Akyab a final shot.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Naval bombardment of Akyab at 54,45 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIb Trop: 2 damaged
Hurricane IIb Trop: 1 destroyed on ground

Japanese Ships
BB Fuso
BB Nagato
CL Sendai

Allied ground losses:
212 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 14 destroyed, 7 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 4 disabled
Guns lost 3 (3 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

The air attack gave us the following intel.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also attacking 26th Indian Brigade …
Also attacking B Sqn 3rd Hussars Regiment …
Also attacking Port Moresby Brigade …
Also attacking 8th Medium Regiment …
Also attacking Port Moresby Brigade …
Also attacking B Sqn 3rd Hussars Regiment ...
Also attacking 26th Indian Brigade ...
Also attacking Port Moresby Brigade ...
Also attacking Lark Battalion …
Also attacking Port Moresby Brigade ...
Also attacking 16th British Brigade …
Also attacking 8th Medium Regiment …

CEYLON Jul 13, 1942 Turn 219

My Kates and Bettys are doing their jobs.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Calicut at 29,38

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid spotted at 14 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 2
G4M1 Betty x 3

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAK Yoma, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Cochin at 28,40

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 31 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 2
B5N2 Kate x 5
G4M1 Betty x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
xAK Sloterdijk, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires
xAK Examiner

CEYLON Jul 14, 1942 Turn 220
Morning Air attack on TF, near Calicut at 29,38

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid spotted at 2 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 0 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 2
B5N2 Kate x 5

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAK Adrastus
xAK Yoma, and is sunk

Rio has finally moved his blockade of Rangoon. This was really hampering my war efforts in Burma as I need more aviation support, engineers and I have two more Divisions sitting in ships at Victoria Point.

Attachments
burmain..71542.jpg
burmain..71542.jpg (481.58 KiB) Viewed 57 times
tm.asp?m=3851786

PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Well, here is what I am thinking at the present.

A big factor with this is Rio's strategy. I know that he will not attempt any carrier battle until he is convinced that he has superiority. So a lot of this depends on where and when he decides it will be to his advantage.

I don't think he will come directly looking for a carrier battle but will use his carriers in combination with a major invasion. I am basing these assumptions on previous BSing sessions and his style of play. He will continue to harass me with his subs but when his carriers show, he will have the kitchen sink with them. I also suspect that he would be perfectly happy trading carriers as to eliminate the threat of the KB in '44-'45. I am thinking that the only way I will be able to be effective or even survive is with some LBA.

So my question right now is, My weakest points will be the Tavoy area and the PIs so I am leaning towards Singapore as my carrier staging area.

I am building the Kuriles and Hokkaido hopefully enough that if he comes in there I will have time to react, even from Singapore. The same with Japan proper and Java. I am also working on my recon but all my “scout 'n scoots” keep getting torpedoed.

Right now the five ship KB is heading back to Singapore to up-grade the ships and the Zeros. I am gathering the rest of the carriers at Yokohama to do the same.
I would turn this thinking inside out.

Not:"where should I place my carriers to best counter-attack?"

But: "Where do I want to fight his carriers and HOW will I get my opponent to show up?"

You cannot wait for him to be ready, that is guaranteed to end in disaster for you. You must force him to show before he has absolute mastery. No AFB ever wants to, the goal is to make him.
How? It is different with every player and I cannot answer it. But, as Nemo would explain, every player has a weakness. Your goal: find it. Exploit it. So very simple to state. So very difficult to execute. Hence the game.

There have been a number of successful IJ AAR's to date. None of them had the IJ sitting back waiting to counter the allied master stroke in '44. It is possible you could do it, but the odds are remote. Hence, I always state that I don't like to give up initiative until late '43 ... if ever. Once you do, and start to allow the allies to mass their production, doom will follow as sure a night after day.

Need a recent example: read koniu's AAR. He still hasn't ceded the initiative ....
Pax

Return to “After Action Reports”