Surrounded Soviet not being destroyed

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

DTomato

Surrounded Soviet not being destroyed

Post by DTomato »

Turn 1 under 1.03b. A four-strong Soviet stack of 8th Army HQ, a tank, mech and infantry are surrounded by German controlled territory. The first attack causes all panic results, but all four Soviets remain on the map (but show zero infantry, tanks and guns). Second attack by the panzers causes three units to break and one to panic. The four units remain on the map, but still at zero strength.

Is this a bug?
Moltke71

RE: Surrounded Soviet not being destroyed

Post by Moltke71 »

They'll disband and become partisans.
Jim Cobb
willgamer

Post by willgamer »

Is this against a human player? My understanding was the AI never disbands to partisans.
Rex Lex or Lex Rex?
DTomato

Post by DTomato »

It's against a human player. When do they become partisans? Because German units can't enter the hex while Soviet units are there, destroying Soviet units doesn't clear the hex until when?
WingedIncubus

Post by WingedIncubus »

Are they all surrounded in a single hex?

If they have space to move, they'll retreat somewhere and keep fighting. Simply pocketing them around and expecting them to die off will not suffice. You'll have to reduce them until they have no more hexes toto maneuver, or batter them until they all disappear when Broken or Destroyed.

JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

Out of curiosity, did you take the German option to immediately switch over to partisan duty on that section of the front? The decision's description does mention that choosing to take any of the options other than the default of leaving the security divisions on mop up duty for a month might result in delays against the German forces. I'm wondering if this is the result, as I haven't seen much difference otherwise.
DTomato

Post by DTomato »

They're totally surrounded by German territory. It took four attacks by two panzer divisions before they disappeared from the map.

I also tried some attacks against unsurrounded Soviets in AGC. The panzers would get a retreat result, but the Soviets wouldn't retreat. They would remain in the hex with zero strength. I would attack again, there would be one round of combat, and they would remain in the hex. I wondered if their retreat setting had been changed to 100 percent, but I thought that couldn't happen on the first turn anyway.
Moltke71

Post by Moltke71 »

Hmmm...very strange! Never happened to me and never heard of it before. If it was common, this forum would be full of criticisms. What version are you playing?
Jim Cobb
ChuckBerger

Post by ChuckBerger »

Partisans shouldn't have anything to do with it. Partisans are only created by card, or as the result of behind-the-scenes calculations as the game goes on related to decisions, amount of territory conquered, etc. The card can only be played on one unit per turn.

It sounds like a bug to me, never encountered anything similar. A battle that results in all defending units retreating/panicking/breaking should always result in you taking the hex, and should always result in the destruction of all enemy units if they have no valid retreat path.
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi DicedT,

Zombie Ruskkies!

Have you got a save game you could send us?

Cheers,
Cameron

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”