OT: Propaganda or Proof?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Footslogger

OT: Propaganda or Proof?

Post by Footslogger »

I saw this article today saying that an Iranian drone flew over a US and French Aircraft Carrier.

What would normally be done if a drone did fly over?

Did the carrier stand down or was this propaganda?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/sta ... &ocid=iehp

ckacres

RE: OT: Propaganda or Proof?

Post by ckacres »

What normally would have happened is the Iranians would never have done this under more compitant leadership. There is no longer any fear of retaliation.
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Nothing new under the sun
The soviets used to do close passes with their Tu-16 Badgers

check this really close one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3bijF2--os

regrettably this ended badly, with the bomber crashing afterwards
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

What caused that Badger to crash? Low speed stall? Wingtip dipping in the ocean?
Did the Russians accuse the US of shooting it down?

On the subject of the drone overflight, my reaction was "Meh!", but the posted notion that it should justify starting a shooting war is scary. Keeping cool is a better policy than the hair trigger IMO.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: ckacres

What normally would have happened is the Iranians would never have done this under more compitant leadership. There is no longer any fear of retaliation.

You mean... their leaders are incompetent? Because I'm fairly certain that our leaders are pretty much the same as they've always been. Get real.
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

What caused that Badger to crash? Low speed stall? Wingtip dipping in the ocean?
Did the Russians accuse the US of shooting it down?

On the subject of the drone overflight, my reaction was "Meh!", but the posted notion that it should justify starting a shooting war is scary. Keeping cool is a better policy than the hair trigger IMO.

According to this:
http://www.emmitsburg.net/archive_list/ ... 10/sea.htm

The Soviets decided to keep this classified, so they didn't accuse the US publicly

In another webpage they said it was a wingtip dipping in the ocean, followed by cartwheel.

Also notice there was no escape possible from a Tu-16: this is from the linked article:
"Those missions were dangerous. They were very long (12 – 14 hours) and there was no escape from them if you got in trouble." No escape hatches or ejection seats. You were trapped in what the crewmen called "a flying coffin "from liftoff until the return to their home bases in the Kola Peninsula near Murmansk . "
kbfchicago

Post by kbfchicago »

There is no longer any fear of retaliation.

Yea...I want my children (or your children) since I am now too old to serve, to die in Iran become some dum# as# politician (or senior military officer on site) thought this was an affront to his/her masculinity? No thanks. I think we did just fine, thank you very much current leadership. Have actually served during and following the cold war...as have many on this forum, this is nothing. Cooler heads and perspective...

the quote of day here is:
"Meh!"
MacBook Pro / WITP-AE running in Parallels v15.x
Dili

Post by Dili »

If you were a soldier of Cold War you should know one of the ways for a surprise attack was "exercises".
jamesjohns

Post by jamesjohns »

Can we please refrain from political comments on this board?

It's a topic that will quickly ruin a board. Let's stick to debating what if Japan landed at Darwin or what fighter was best in WWII.

Plenty of other places on the web to comment on current leadership or politics.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”