Germania vs 4 AI (completed)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: Vic

Tac2i

Germania vs 4 AI (completed)

Post by Tac2i »

Once more into the breach! This time I'm going to go into more detail and use some video along the way. Also I'd like to see other players post some AARs of their games. It seems me and those dedicated gamers playing GD1938 are the only AAR guys right now.

If anyone would like to try this random game here is the first turn file: 4ai0138.at2. When and in what order the AI go to war will likely be different than my game.

Random Game Settings:
Delayed War Mod (peace for at least three turns)
X-Large Map (68 VP needed for victory)
Land World (some ocean)
Map Loop
Stone Age (less units researched at start)
Full Climate
4 AI regimes
Depleted Land (less resources)
My regime (Germania) moves last
At Start Nations

High Level View: Germania vs 4 AI (made with Sway)

Videos
Intro - January 1938
End of Year Report - 1938
Commander Report - 1938
End of Year Report - 1939
End of Year Report - 1940
End of Year Report - 1941
End of Year Report - 1942

1943 Maps
Apr 43 Strategic Map - Victory
Jan 43 Strategic Map
Jan 43
Feb 43
Mar 43
Apr 43 Final Map

1942 Maps
Jan 42 Strategic Map
Jan 42
Feb 42
Mar 42
Apr 42 Boston Protectorate and Soviet Union capitals captured!
May 42 War ongoing for 4 years.
Jun 42
Jul 42 Boston Protectorate loses its last city.
Aug 42
Sep 42
Oct 42
Nov 42 Orleans Commune declares war on Persian Empire
Dec 42

1941 Maps
Jan 41 Strategic Map
Jan 41 Orleans Commune declares war on Germania! Germania occupies Persian Empire's capital
Feb 41
Mar 41 Isolated city of Wendelstein lost to the Soviets.
Apr 41
May 41 War ongoing for three years.
Jun 41
Aug 41
Sep 41
Oct 41 Have 39 of 68 points needed for victory.
Nov 41
Dec 41 Wendelstein recaptured by Germania.

1940 Maps
Jan 40 Strategic Map
Jan 40 Enemies of Germania, we are coming for you...
Feb 40
Mar 40
Apr 40
May 40 War began 2 years ago
Jun 40 All Germania Corps pressing forward
Jul 40
Aug 40
Sep 40
Oct 40
Nov 40 Commander Dolf Meier pulled out of Wendelstein
Dec 40 End of 1940: enemy has been rocked back on its heels

1939 Maps and Log
Jan 39 Strategic Map
Jan 39
Feb 39
Mar 39
Apr 39
May 39 War began 1 year ago
Jun 39
Jul 39
Aug 39
Sep 39
Oct 39
Nov 39
Dec 39

Turn 13 Report - Jan 39: Persian combat power vs 6th Corps growing. SHQ, 8th Corps and 1st Corps trying hard to keep dam from bursting open. 3rd Panzer Division activated. See Jan 39 map for additional details.

Turn 14 Report - Feb 39: 5th Corps has cutoff the city of Darwin. 2nd and 5th Corps working to encircle a Boston army. Persian Empire army within heavy artillery range of Germania's capital. This is not acceptable and must be dealt with promptly.

Turn 15 Report - Mar 39: 5th Corps tightens noose on Darwin. 2nd and 5th Corps have encircled a Boston army. Persian army expanding offensive against 1st Corps. 4th Corps on the move up north.

Turn 16 Report - Apr 39: See Apr 39 map for details...

Turn 17 Report - May 39: See May 39 map for details...

Turn 18 Report - Jun 39: See Jun 39 map for details...

Turn 19 Report - Jul 39: See Jul 39 map for details...

Turn 20 Report - Aug 39: See Aug 39 map for details...

Turn 21 Report - Sep 39: Been a rough 1939 so far but things are getting a little more stable.

Turn 22 Report - Oct 39: The tide of battle seems to be turning. Can I get to isolated Wendelstein before it is crushed?

Turn 23 Report - Nov 39: See Nov 39 map for details...

Turn 24 Report - Dec 39: See Dec 39 map for details...

1938 Maps and Log
Jan 38 Strategic Map
Jan 38
Feb 38
Mar 38
Apr 38
May 38 Soviet Union declares war on Germania
Jun 38 Boston Protector declares war on Germania
Jul 38 Persian Empire declars war on Germania
Aug 38
Sep 38 Orleans Commune declares war on Boston Protectorate
Oct 38
Nov 38
Dec 38

Turn 1 Report - Jan 38: Mobilization orders issued to all units and the process of bringing up production to a war footing commenced. 1st and 2nd Corps activated with more to come. Units forming up according to Germanian TO&E standards. Research has been given a massive dose of political points. Researched Machine Gun, Mortar and AT Gun technology.

Turn 2 Report - Feb 38: Mobilization continues. 3rd and 4th Corps activated without a commander. Researched Armored Car and SMS Infantry technology. Continue to invest heavily in Political Points for research. Upgraded one raw mine. Persian, Russian and English units forming up on our borders.

Turn 3 Report - Mar 38: Mobilization continues: 59 infantry divisions raised (counting the at start divisions). 5th, 6th and 7th Corps activated without a commander. Commanders (officers) to be added later as the need arises. Upgraded another raw mine. Researched artillery. Persian, Russian and English units continue to form up on our borders.

Turn 4 Report - Apr 38: Mobilization continues: 67 infantry divisions raised (counting the at start divisions). Built a tank factory and directed its armored car production to SHQ. A very fragile peace remains in effect.

Turn 5 Report - May 38: War! Soviet Union invades Germania. Peace remains in effect with the other nations. Dietrich Schmidt appointed commander of 4th Corps and ordered to drive the Russians out of our territory. The isolated city of Wendelstein under heavy Soviet pressure. Researched Light Tank.

Turn 6 Report - Jun 38: Boston Protectorate declares war and attacks Germania. Germanian Western Front forces launch limited counter-attacks. 1st and 2nd Armored Recon Divisions mobilized against northern attacking Soviet forces. Mobilization orders issued to activate 1st Panzer Division. SHQ is expecting enemy pressure to increase in the coming months. Careful watch is kept on Persian Empire. Secret negotiations underway with Orleans Commune attempting to influence them toward war with the Soviet Union or Boston Protectorate [make believe stuff here as there is no game mechanic to do this]. Machine Gun II researched and all units with MG I upgraded.

Turn 7 Report - Jul 38: Persian Empire declares war and attacks Germania. Orleans Commune still resisting entering the war. See Jul 38 map for details.

Turn 8 Report - Aug 38: Germania under assault from all sides. Due to superior training and experience the armed forces are holding their own and counter-attacking in some sectors. Intel reports indicate Orleans Commune may be on the brink of declaring war on either the Soviet Union or Boston Protectorate.

Turn 9 Report - Sep 38: Orleans Commune declares war on Boston Protectorate! This news buoys the national morale of the people of Germania. Persian forces badly maul the 22nd, 25th and 28th infantry divisions under direct command of SHQ, nearly wiping out two of the three. SHQ activates 8th Corps to take over command of these and others divisions facing the Persians on the East Front. The 10 infantry division defending Wendelstein are increasingly faced with annihilation by a massive Soviet army. As armor operations increase oil reserves are dwindling. Oil production must be increased.

Turn 10 Report - Oct 38: 4th Corps pressing the fight against the Soviets in the north. 1st Corps lines broken through by Persian armor and the corps is forced to perform an operational retreat. 6th Corps has stabilized the southern desert sector for the moment. City of Wendelstein will soon be surrounded by the Soviets as they are forced into an ever shrinking perimeter. SHQ increased oil production at one facility and also brought online a Gun factory. 1st Corps requesting emergency delivery of AT Guns to counter Persian armor in its sector. Oil supplies have dwindled to dangerously low levels.

Turn 11 Report - Nov 38: 4th Corps captures Soviet oil facility. 7th Corps conducts a limited tactical retreat. 1st Corps retreated in good order but still facing a powerful Persian army. Wendelstein Corps holding against brutal attacks thus far. Kolberg sector relatively quiet. Nearing 100 infantry divisions on the field, one armor division, several Armored Recon battalions and increasing numbers of AT Gun brigades. The Germania Empire is under great stress but holding together at this time. The year 1939 will be a make or break event.

Turn 12 Report - Dec 38: 2nd Panzer Division activated and pressed into immediate service. A second Tank factory brought online. Oil and Raw production levels are to low and must be raised to support the growing Germania armored forces. The next few months will definitely be a critical time period for the nation of Germania.
Last edited by Tac2i on Mon May 30, 2022 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tac2i

RE: Germania vs 4 AI

Post by Tac2i »

My standard armor division TO&E template:

Attachments
armorTOE.jpg
armorTOE.jpg (77.43 KiB) Viewed 568 times
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

My standard infantry TO&E template:

Attachments
20160129_161923.jpg
20160129_161923.jpg (50.35 KiB) Viewed 568 times
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
StrategyGamer

Post by StrategyGamer »

For your armored division, you have 40 carry and only 25 weight
Just pointing it out [:)]
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Regarding infantry attached to armor units: Just a thought, sometimes when I attack with armor alone I will end up with either zero or very few casualties. If I add infantry it's almost like padding the number of casualties. So for example an attack with armor alone may cost me 1 tank. If I have infantry with the armor then it would probably cost me one tank and a few infantry. This is entirely anecdotal and not tested but just wanted to get the reaction of some of the more seasoned gamers on that observation.
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Your armor, while strong in the attack, is vulnerable to enemy infantry attacks. This is especially true if your armor unit has no infantry attached.
ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Regarding infantry attached to armor units: Just a thought, sometimes when I attack with armor alone I will end up with either zero or very few casualties. If I add infantry it's almost like padding the number of casualties. So for example an attack with armor alone may cost me 1 tank. If I have infantry with the armor then it would probably cost me one tank and a few infantry. This is entirely anecdotal and not tested but just wanted to get the reaction of some of the more seasoned gamers on that observation.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

What if I stack it with infantry units though? Do the infantry need to be directly incorporated into the armor units?
StrategyGamer

Post by StrategyGamer »

I agree with Webizen
If you have pure tanks in a division then you attack, and you lose one, then that is the same as losing 20 infantry
I'd rather attach infantry as my "meat grinder"
StrategyGamer

Post by StrategyGamer »

What if I stack it with infantry units though? Do the infantry need to be directly incorporated into the armor units?
I don't think so, as long as you have infantry, it is alright, but it would kinda be unproductive as armor has carry capacity
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: StrategyGamer

I agree with Webizen
If you have pure tanks in a division then you attack, and you lose one, then that is the same as losing 20 infantry

But what I'm saying is that I've had many occasions where I have attacked with armor, especially against weakened formations and have come away with zero casualties. Had there been infantry in the unit then I suspect there would have been casulaties. No casualties is better than a few.
StrategyGamer

Post by StrategyGamer »

ORIGINAL: StrategyGamer

I agree with Webizen

But what I'm saying is that I've had many occasions where I have attacked with armor, especially against weakened formations and have come away with zero casualties. Had there been infantry in the unit then I suspect there would have been casulaties. No casualties is better than a few.
Yes, but I'd rather have infantry as Rifles, SMG's, mortars, Infantry Guns, etc. are all more prone to attack infantry, so tanks with infantry have better odds of surviving a infantry assault, even in hilly/forested terrain where you might have wanted to cut off a couple enemy units.
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

My turn play getting ahead of my reporting so going hold play until I catch up with my turn reports. Also contemplating a video report of the first year.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Posted End of Year Report video. See first post for link.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
davebob

Post by davebob »

Along the lines of unit composition: what is the advantage of combining rifle and smg ? Would it be better to make separate units, one posted in the plains etc, the smg in the forest and cities ? Also , from a former post, I wearied of losing mgs on the attack, separated them, and put them in defensive role only. Has saved me many mgs (and their exp)Course, everyone has their own way.
Having said that,that being said,that having been said,saying that,that having been said,having said all that,that said.....
davebob

Post by davebob »

Well,we've all seen 2-front war, this looks like "everywhere-front" war.
Having said that,that being said,that having been said,saying that,that having been said,having said all that,that said.....
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

This has been the most challenging random game I've played in a long time. Not all my reports are up yet: its gets more intense.
ORIGINAL: davebob

Well,we've all seen 2-front war, this looks like "everywhere-front" war.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Webizen

My standard infantry TO&E template:

Here's my version of an infantry division

Attachments
ATGunit.gif
ATGunit.gif (145.13 KiB) Viewed 570 times
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: davebob

Along the lines of unit composition: what is the advantage of combining rifle and smg ? Would it be better to make separate units, one posted in the plains etc, the smg in the forest and cities ? Also , from a former post, I wearied of losing mgs on the attack, separated them, and put them in defensive role only. Has saved me many mgs (and their exp)Course, everyone has their own way.

Sounds like some good ideas. I generally don't attack with any infantry. I usually let armored units do the attacking.
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

You can play a whole game and never use infantry in the attack? In this game some of my Corps have only infantry and have been fighting for a long time, successfully so in many cases. I use infantry in the attack a lot.

I generally don't attack with any infantry.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Webizen

You can play a whole game and never use infantry in the attack? In this game some of my Corps have only infantry and have been fighting for a long time, successfully so in many cases. I use infantry in the attack a lot.

I generally don't attack with any infantry.

Well if the enemy unit has been whittled down to practically nothing I'll attack with infantry and if I want to take an objective quickly I'll attack with everything I have around it but most of the time I have armor only units which do my attacking. Otherwise my loses stack up. I prefer to watch the AI grind its men to dust against my infantry defenses than visa versa.

Return to “After Action Reports”