OT : World of Warships

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Panther Bait

RE: OT : World of Warships

Post by Panther Bait »

Pilsator, I have not played WoW that much (Tiers 1-3 only so far), but when I do, it's on the North American server. I have not seen anything like what you reported on the Euro server.

For the most part when I play, the chat is pretty silent other than the canned messages with occasional complaints about the game (**Ship Name** is so OP and that sort of thing). Extremely rarely do I see something remotely personal (usually by someone who just got slammed) and it's never toxic. Maybe it's worse with the diehards who make it to the higher tiers, I can't speak to that.
When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard
CyrusSpitama

Post by CyrusSpitama »

Pilsator, I actually agree with you in part here. There is often lack of any sort of teamwork on some battles, sometimes folks just want to sit there and yell at each other, and some battles/maps/ships are unbalanced. However, the reason I played WoT and a little WoWP previously was very simple: I can get home from a long day of work and pilot/drive something on the battlefield. A few matches later I can walk away and not have to worry about saving the game, remember where I was, etc. These games fill a certain need in the market. Wargaming saw this and created something, and despite their flaws, it still does have some appeal. As with WoT, WoWS will likely see a few of my dollars but I shall not pour money into their coffers. I have neither the time nor the funds to donate too much.

P.S. Yesterday I had a rare day off. Managed to get into a couple t3 ships and working my way up to t4. Just before I logged, I finished earning the ability to assign commanders. Headed to work here shortly so that free premium day will mostly be wasted :P I am on the NA server myself and hope to stumble into some folks there. We could even consider clan creation for those of us who want to play casual. I have NO time for more serious gaming at present.
"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." - Arthur C. Clarke
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Played some WoWs before I decided to move on for now. Lack of maps is hurting the game. I´ll be back in a couple of months no doubt but I didn´t have the motivation to play the same old maps again and again. Besides that the constant changes to balance is really annoying. First they nerfed the CVs to death, then the BBs and now the DDs rule they game so they will soon be nerfed to death. This will obviously lead to the CAs ruling the game which means they will be up for the nerfstick after that.

Then rinse and repeat infinitum....

There are some extremely good money makers in the game. Kongo is one of them. I easily made a 200k profit per game on it. If you want to cash up a little the Murmansk is not only the best money maker in the game its also probably the most fun ship.

Favorite overall would have to be the North Carolina. Insanely fun! Sadly the Iowa wasn´t worth the grind...
Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

Looking at their post history, they posted in AE at least as early As March last year. Post count isn't everything, some of us read more than we write ;)
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

The NA servers aren't toxic, really. Sometimes I see some bozos going on about Nazi this, your mother that, but they're few and far between. There are generally between 8,000-12,000 players on when I play. It's mostly fun.

RE: Joc and nerfs.... I disagree with almost everything you said, except that IJN destroyers are pieces of garbage since they added the Russians and therefore had to buff the USN torpedoes so that they had a role. The theme seems to be that Russkies are gunboats (and they're terrifyingly good at that), while the USN are hybrid with good guns and OK torpedoes, and the IJN are awful at guns but good with torpedoes.... except that at the mid-late tiers, the USN and IJN torpedoes are more or less identical. So why would you ever play a Japanese destroyer? I definitely switched.

There isn't really that level of disparity amongst the other ship types.

+1 for the Murmansk. It's a godlike machine. I mean, it's no different than an Omaha "C" hull, except that it has a spotter plane, but it's a sweet ship.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Pilsator

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: Pilsator

Quit playing Wargaming games, european community is toxic, european office is ignorant and incompetent, the developers seem to make always the decision which are not favored by the community and their "offers" are much too greedy.
Sounds like you were expecting the creators of the game to do everything exactly as you wanted them. But companies operate to be self-sustaining and make money, not to do everything for free until they collapse. They have to do enough to meet some of their clients wishes but cannot meet everything.

And before calling people incompetent you must establish your own expertise to pass such judgement. Also, if your contact with their office was as full of vitriol as your complaint here it is possible that their toxic response was a direct reaction to the tone of your message? Among Europeans politeness is still valued and expected.

Did not wish to be so negative to a new poster here but I could not find anything positive in your message to get behind. If I have unfairly judged your message please (politely) correct me.

Seems you missed my point completely.[;)]

I was talking about the toxic ingame chat(the standard Nazi comments, threatening your family with violence and sexual abuse, dead wishes for you and the wish you get cancer). If you complain you just get standard replies. And I am not complaining in toxic tone. I am just saying: Bitte guckt euch mal den angehängten Screenshot an. Müssen solche Beleidigungen denn wirklich sein?

Nothing rude or toxic.

No need for me playing a game were rudeness and offense is the norm .

And the community is not only me, just browse to the offical WOT and WOWS boards to see what I mean.

Off course, it is for the european server, dont know how it is on the american one.
Thanks for setting me straight! I have not played the game and only watched two of the captured episodes linked in this thread, but I did see some of those comments that were annoying. I can imagine that some immature people playing WoW (who have not learned that their comments say more about themselves than the object of their scorn) will cross the line from time to time. They want a response so I just ignore them instead.
Very glad you did not take offence at my misreading of your "rant". [:)]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

RE: Joc and nerfs.... I disagree with almost everything you said, except that IJN destroyers are pieces of garbage since they added the Russians and therefore had to buff the USN torpedoes so that they had a role. The theme seems to be that Russkies are gunboats (and they're terrifyingly good at that), while the USN are hybrid with good guns and OK torpedoes, and the IJN are awful at guns but good with torpedoes.... except that at the mid-late tiers, the USN and IJN torpedoes are more or less identical. So why would you ever play a Japanese destroyer? I definitely switched.

There isn't really that level of disparity amongst the other ship types.

+1 for the Murmansk. It's a godlike machine. I mean, it's no different than an Omaha "C" hull, except that it has a spotter plane, but it's a sweet ship.

There are actually statistics to back my claim up! On the phone so I can´t really dig it up now. Its on the EU forum. Posts by a guy called Chrysantos or something similar. He Keeps track on the statistics per game update.

Last update saw a big drop in both games played in BBs and damage dealt per game and ship. This will DDs saw a big jump in games played and a small increase in damage for USN DDs. IJN DDs dropped in number of games played.

Since the CV nerf this autumn CV matches has dropped with a huge number. Now people are actually complaining that the lack of them is killing balance making DDs way too powerful.

Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

I totally regret having bought CLA Atlanta and DD Sims. Nerfed guns on both, nearly useless now.
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

I have been really enjoying this. I am terrible at it and very new. But I enjoy it.

I have even spent some real life money on some premium ships.

It is free to play but you can avoid spending any money at all and it is a grind but you can progress and never be at a disadvantage due to match making and tiers.

It is a really fun game and less fast paced that WOT but most battles still take 15-20 minutes.
I am just now up to tier III so I have not gotten to BBs and carriers yet but I feel I have a good handle on destroyers and protected cruisers.

And this game should expand in the future as Italy, the Royal Navy, France and the rest of the German line is added.

The maps look damn good as do the graphics.
Ship damage is pretty arcade but I am not expecting a super in depth damage engine from a MMO.
It is just an all around fun game to play and the online abuse is pretty minimal. I am just terrible at the game though.
My basic tactics are sound and I help my team but my shooting is poor and I am just now getting a handle on firing and avoid torpedo's.
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

I post YouTube videos of how epically bad I am...
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Knowing basic ballistics helps. If you don't know already, you should hold Alt while you are lining up shots. It will tell you how long it will take for your shells to travel to target [;)].
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

I have had WoT and War Thunder on my machine for a long time. WoT for a quick game to ge my 2x, 3x, 5x etc first win multiplier and occasionally I'll buy a month of premium if the weather is going to be bad and I expect to have time off work.

Finally installed WoWs last night. Seems fun so far. I do like the slower pace compared to the tank and air games. Still have to decide what play style I like so I can focus on a ship tree. I'm thinking the cruiser route since you get torps and guns, but destroyers look fun too. In tank I mostly do TD since I can sit in the back and snipe.
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Feurer Krieg

I have had WoT and War Thunder on my machine for a long time. WoT for a quick game to ge my 2x, 3x, 5x etc first win multiplier and occasionally I'll buy a month of premium if the weather is going to be bad and I expect to have time off work.

Finally installed WoWs last night. Seems fun so far. I do like the slower pace compared to the tank and air games. Still have to decide what play style I like so I can focus on a ship tree. I'm thinking the cruiser route since you get torps and guns, but destroyers look fun too. In tank I mostly do TD since I can sit in the back and snipe.

Cruisers are by far the most popular ship to play, precisely because they are (potentially) jack-of-all-trades.
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

One thing that kills WoT for me is the tactic of quickly rocking back and forth like a mental patient. I see that and I say "Really?!?!" and then *click* and 3 seconds later *BOOM*
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
FeurerKrieg

Post by FeurerKrieg »

Yea, I don't care for that aspect either, but I think of it as an arcade game with tank shapes. I'm not good at the rocking and stuff, hence my typical play is with TDs. All about getting a good tactical position and staying hidden. That seems more fun to me than playing peek-a-boo with the heavies up front.
Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Cruisers arn´t really very forgiving to play. Show the broadside at the wrong moment and the citadel hit is inevitable. I went up the US cruiser line the first thing I did. Its a good line with up until tier 7 when you get the Pensacola. Its a very hard ship to play as is the New Orlands and Baltimore. The Cleveland is a very odd bird with an extreme shell arc and plays like nothing else. Either you love it or hate it.

As a beginner I would actually recommend the IJN BB line. The Myogi and Kongo have a lot of speed, good HP pool and some armor. Basically a bigger badder cruiser. The Kongo is insanely fun but will have a hard time penetrating US BBs.
CyrusSpitama

Post by CyrusSpitama »

For those just signing up, be sure to join the Project R on the main page to get some free stuff. WoT often ran campaigns like this and glad to see WoWS is doing the same. Recently obtained my Kuma and Myogi but I am struggling to do well with the Kuma. I am also having issues with my Watakaze. Seems it will be a long time before I earn my Isokaze. Honestly, the torp game escapes me a little still... This includes both aiming and evading them :P
"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." - Arthur C. Clarke
Barb

Post by Barb »

Well I am at Tier III ... It is quite funny game, but I feel it is more like "shooter" than everything other.

However there are few things that seems to be really insane so far
- Torpedo reloads on low tier ships - Hell you can fire full torpedo broadside every 20 seconds unlimited number of times! Yes the Russian Torpedoes have range of only 3km (US - 5km), which is awfully small, so you are usually almost dead at that range. Yet few times I got into the melee against three or more ships sinking 3 of them within 3 torpedo salvoes - the last one usually after I got sunk :D
IRL - only the Japanese had the quick torpedo reload system allowing them to reload tubes in about 10-15 minutes (based on number of tubes). Other nations were not so quick. Another thing is that Ships usually carried enough torpedoes for only 2 salvos (one in tubes and one spare)

- Detection system - with the way it works currently, destroyers are "not able" to fire their guns unless already detected - and that is usually the close to the torpedo range... So to deliver torpedoes they are not using their guns - IRL... every possible barrel would be firing with maximum effort to pump whatever at the enemy at that range...

- I had read somewhere the "detection ranges of torpedoes" based on hydrophone equipment. IRL you can hardly hear something running full speed ahead - and did battleships carry hydrophones? And use them while shooting? Also later Japanese torpedoes were using oxygen for propuslion making them much harder to detect on surface.

- I also find strange that they merged light and heavy cruisers into the single line (Like Cleveland preceding Portland etc..) - They had each their specific role and number of classes is more then sufficient for the nations included.

- Decision to include Soviet Navy (destroyer line so far) was probably based on huge Russian market... but wouldn't it be more logical to include Royal Navy (one ship only), Kriegsmarine (cruiser line) and Regia Marina (nothing) before the Russians?

However one can find me there from time to time as "BarbSVK" doing some silly things around :D
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

And then there are dirty kill-stealing scrub-lords like me:

World of Warships: DD Isokaze Kraken Gameplay

Nice! [:)]

BTW, I didn't know that you have your own YouTube channel - I bookmarked it as well... [:D]

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

And then there are dirty kill-stealing scrub-lords like me:

World of Warships: DD Isokaze Kraken Gameplay

Nice! [:)]

BTW, I didn't know that you have your own YouTube channel - I bookmarked it as well... [:D]

Leo "Apollo11"

Thanks! I just started it a few months ago. It can be time consuming to do the videos the way that I want.

I'm almost tempted to create a chronicle of the astonishingly disastrous AE game play that I'm in right now. Hint: China has been totally subjugated by my Japanese opponent.

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”