Invulnerable Pirate base

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Chris21wen

Invulnerable Pirate base

Post by Chris21wen »

Although I can reduce it's shields to zero I cannot seem to do any further damage. I've got 6 x CR and 4 x DD attacking it with Enhanced Torps and Resonance Gracitic beams but all they do is keep the shield depleted. What am I missing with these weapons?
Bingeling

RE: Invulnerable Pirate base

Post by Bingeling »

Apart from not being bothered to try to decode your war gamer abbreviations, my guess is:

It is somewhat late tech. They got good shield recharge that takes care of some damage. They have repair bots that repair component damage faster than you deal it. Gravitic beams are supposed to be less effective against larger targets, and suffer under repair bots.

It could be that gravitic weapons are not very usable, I have not tried them myself, but I know that pirates using them are very annoying in the early game.

And if you use something remotely standard when it comes to ship, your attacking force do not look very strong in ship count. But it is impossible to say without some information of what you attack with. Try with more brute force and ignorance.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

Apart from not being bothered to try to decode your war gamer abbreviations, my guess is:

It is somewhat late tech. They got good shield recharge that takes care of some damage. They have repair bots that repair component damage faster than you deal it. Gravitic beams are supposed to be less effective against larger targets, and suffer under repair bots.

It could be that gravitic weapons are not very usable, I have not tried them myself, but I know that pirates using them are very annoying in the early game.

And if you use something remotely standard when it comes to ship, your attacking force do not look very strong in ship count. But it is impossible to say without some information of what you attack with. Try with more brute force and ignorance.

Should have said CA, sorry about that.

Thought it must be something like that. I like to play using a races research & design settings, makes it a little more interesting. I know I've used gravity weapons before but cannot remember having similar problems do I'll have to put my Devastator Pulse into play, that should do it if I can get it to fit on a CA and with enough power. I've only ever used it on bases so don't know if it will work.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Enough torpedoes should do the job just fine. There could be specific techs that you weapons are poor against. If a hammer don't get the job done, bring five. As you play you find a pattern in what is needed to defeat for instance a large spaceport. More than once I have had my fleets being surprised by a new empire showing a spaceport design that spanks my default attack fleet.

I too like to run with default setups, I have just not happened to play any gravitic race.

As for CA or others, I suggest to use those terms in games that use them. This is not a war game, and that lingo is better kept in its own habitat :)
SirHoraceHarkness

Post by SirHoraceHarkness »

Need moar dps than a handful of cruisers and destroyers to take down a high level pirate base with repair bots and good shields. That's barely a system defence force to protect against light pirate raids and not close to the hammer fleet you need to pound heavy defenses down.
Intel i9 11900k all core oc@5.3 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3090 24gb FTW3 Ultra - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”