construction battalions

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

TomaszPudlo

construction battalions

Post by TomaszPudlo »

There are numerous construction battalions assigned at corps level. They all have a surprisingly low construction value (1) and a considerable transport cost (around 80). Is there any point in keeping them at corps level, or should I assign them to O.K.H.? Since corps HQs move around a lot, isn't it wasteful to have them there? Do they assist in the building of fortifications? I've noticed they have the rail symbol. Is there any difference between a construction battalion and a road construction battalion other than the name?

I've searched the archive, but the comments are ambiguous.
Tomasz
swkuh

RE: construction battalions

Post by swkuh »

Often wondered, as do you.

AFAIK Axis CBs of whatever name act alike, although this seems counter-intuitive. CBs at corps level maybe help with entrenchments. Personal practice is to migrate all specially named CBs to higher level HQs or security div HQs, and place those where CB activity would do the most good.

Opening locations of CBs in scenarios appears gratuitous.

Remarks by those who are sure would be appreciated.
TomaszPudlo

Post by TomaszPudlo »

According to the manual...

15.3.2.2. Support Unit Assist to Fort Level Construction
Construction and engineer support units attached to headquarters units in the combat unit's chain of command can assist those combat units in constructing fort levels if the applicable headquarters unit passes a leader admin check. The headquarters unit that the combat unit is directly attached must be within five hexes of that combat unit. In addition, no more than three levels of headquarters units in the combat units chain of command can assist, and each higher headquarters unit that may provide support units must be within five hexes of the next lower level headquarters unit. For example, in order for construction and engineer support units to assist down the entire eligible chain of command, a German combat unit attached to a Corps headquarters unit must be able to trace five hexes back to that Corps HQ unit. The Corps HQ unit in turn must be able to trace five hexes back to the Army HQ unit to which it is attached, and finally the Army HQ unit must be able to trace five hexes back to the Army Group HQ. In the above example, if the unit was within 5 hexes of its Corps HQ but the Corps was not within 5 HQ of its Army HQ, then only support units in the Corps HQ would be able to potentially assist the unit. Each eligible support unit may assist the fort level building of no more than one combat unit per turn.

That would explain why most corps HQs have them.
Tomasz
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

I put 10 each in OKH, AGC, AGN and AGS to help with RR.

"Diggers" are not really nessary until late 44 when lines get closer to Germany, but then they are in right units at that point.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
TomaszPudlo

Post by TomaszPudlo »

What I don't get is how a construction battalion can dig anything if it has a construction value of one.
Tomasz
RKhan

Post by RKhan »

I have similar questions from the Soviet side, where entrenching fast is essential. I can build sappers or construction support units. Each cost 1 AP, but the sapper has a higher construction value.

So, other than to fix German vandalisation of my rail road network, why build construction units?
RKhan
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

sappers(sov) and pioneers (axis) are the su's that matter for fortification purposes. Construction units just fix rails.
TomaszPudlo

Post by TomaszPudlo »

So the manual is wrong?
Tomasz
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

yes for practical purposes. It takes 50 points of construction value to make level one fort in clear terrain and clear weather, and gets harder from there. The 2 or 3 construction values of the const. bns don't have any real impact.
morvael

Post by morvael »

1) In 1941 I send most CB to OKH/AG level to increase speed of repair. But I kept one per corps and one per army. They also repair rail sometimes.
2) During First Winter I had to send some more to FBD units, because of winter damage they dropped below RRV 15 and had 12-13 MP at start of turn instead of 16.
3) Remember that it costs just 1/3 of construction point to build 2% of level 1 fort, so impact is greater than you think (construction value of 1 means up to 6% of fort 1 can be built by such unit).
4) For each on map unit that builds a fort, its HQ can send one unit to assist if it's within 5 hexes of given unit. Then, the HQ of that HQ can send another if it's within 5 hexes of that first HQ. Finally, the HQ of the second HQ can send another if it's within 5 hexes of that second HQ.
5) Only engineer and construction units can be sent to assist with digging, one per HQ (so up to 3 will help at most), and each can assist only once per turn.
6) Successful admin roll is required for that unit to be sent to assist.

...so the manual is actually right
morvael

Post by morvael »

Also, as Soviets you need sappers first, but you need construction units as well, as you start to advance. Your 4 NKPS will need some help in rail repair. I think I built 1 construction unit per army and 5 per front.

As for the names: units with ""R.A.D.", "O.T.", and "RR Construction" in their name are better at repairing rail.
RKhan

Post by RKhan »

Thank you for all the replies.
RKhan

Return to “The War Room”