Campaign Series vs Squad Battles

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

zasgard

Campaign Series vs Squad Battles

Post by zasgard »

What are the differences between the Squad Battle series over John Tiller's Campaign Series?

I read that not all of the Sqaud Battle games have the 3D view?

I like that the Campaign series has all the nations OOB's in one game.

If someone could help educate this noob on the differences in the games I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Jason Petho

RE: Campaign Series vs Squad Battles

Post by Jason Petho »

The John Tiller's Campaign Series (not the John Tiller's Panzer Campaign Series) allows you to move around platoons that are subordinate to companies, battalions all the way up to armies, depending on the complexity of the scenario.

JTCS comes with scenarios for all theatres.

For watching what JTCS is:

JTCS East Front Tutorial.

CS Middle East Bootcamp 3
zasgard

Post by zasgard »

So....

What's the difference between the Campaign Series and the Panzer Campaign Series?
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

I don't own any Panzer Campaigns titles, but they tend to be more on the operational level: Battalions, Regiments as units. Each game title covers a certain operation, or campaign, in detail. They are 2D only as far as I know.

This Campaign Series here has to do with Platoons, and each game covers a Theatre of operations for a long period of time, for instance West Front covering European, Middle East and North Africa scenarios with OoBs from 1930s to early 1950s. 2D and 3D supported, although the 2D views of WW II titles (John Tiller's Campaign Series bundle) is quite small for modern standards.

The Blitz Wargaming Ladder has active forums for all these games; Squad Battles, Campaign Series and Panzer Campaigns (Tiller Operational Campaigns is the forum name there), so those fora might be good sources for further information, with AAR reports in many of them.

edit typos
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
zasgard

Post by zasgard »

Odd, that site has blocked my work ISP

Oh well
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Also, the Campaign Series allows you to make maps and everything, unlike the others, my major beef with them...
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

Both JTCS and SB are a good choice. I fully recommend you SB: Red Victory. IMO they´re excellent games for PBEM. However if you´re more interested in single player games you should try the adaptative AI of CS:ME
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE
zasgard

Post by zasgard »

Middle East isn't my cup of tea (ww2 fan all the way)

I also do not play PBEM. Strictly solo vs AI

I've heard that Red Victory is the best of the SB series, but if I get JTCS, I don't see why I'd want Red Victory since the CS series covers all theaters of WW2 (unless someone with experience in these titles would like to share why?) ;)
Jafele

Post by Jafele »

SB scale is 40 m/hex; JTCS scale is 250 m/hex. So for tank battles JTCS is much better. If you prefer close combat then SB is the best option.

JTCS have hundreds of scenarios, SB:Red victory about 80. The AI is very predictable in both games, only good for learning.

It depends of your preferences, both have positives and negatives but basically are good games.
Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”