Not impressed with the A.I so far

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Erik2, Lukas

Rosseau

RE: Not impressed with the A.I so far

Post by Rosseau »

I played one great pbem and that was it.

Still playing through Panzer Corps Soviet Storm mod, and the AI never makes poor attacks and even shifts its focus operationally. Is this a result of good scripting by the modders? I don't know if the PC editor is capable of that.

Morning Sun might be worth it based on content alone. However, the devs should address the difficulty (or not) of fixing the issues you see with the AI.
norvandave

Post by norvandave »

bump
First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.
balto

Post by balto »

On normal setting I was totally defeated by the AI on the Shanghai scenario. I think what I am seeing is the AI is earning a lot of replacement pool money each turn if I do not take Shanghai right away. I say that because I was watching the Youtubers play this and I faced a much more significant Chinese force. In other words, I think AI and scenario design is very entertaining.

I think most of us on here played several hundred hours of Pz Corp (which is great). No question these two are very very very similar. But this has enough changes to keep you interested for many hours, so I would think it would be a good idea to buy this. Thus far I have about 20 hours on this, I probably will go another 20 hours at least which works out that I am paying a little more than a dollar an hour for excellent entertainment. That is a good deal to me.

I hope they stay with this, its a good system.
KarlXII

Post by KarlXII »

Today it is a very good multiplayer game but less good single player game because of the A.I. and its restrictions. It would be nice to have some clarifications from the developers if they will improve the A.I vs the Skirmish mode they have talked about for months. On the Steam forum a developer recently stated they are not near completion.If no A.I improvements will be included then I don´t know for how long we will have to wait. Until then I will continue playing this game in hotseat mode only. Too bad.
Värjan måste göra det bästa, ty den skämtar intet

Been playing strategy games since 1987 and the Commodore 64 days
norvandave

Post by norvandave »

+1
First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I did buy Morning Sun for the new content. I remember pondering over pbem moves for a while, so think of what the AI is going through. However, yes, some blatant bad stuff should be fixed or an explanation why not should be provided. Would probably help sales, too.
Myrddraal

Post by Myrddraal »

We are still working on the AI, but principally this is for Skirmish mode.

If you see behaviour which is clearly nonsense, please send us a savegame and we can use that to analyse and see what we could do to improve.
MTTODD

Post by MTTODD »

I have mentioned examples of poor A.I behaviour, but had no response from developers.

Which was disappointing.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Myrddraal is the AI programmer. ^
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

I've been looking at this title since it was released. I haven't purchased because of AI complaints and certain comments about the Pacific Campaign which is my interest in this game. What mystifies me is why efforts are being expended to expand this game into areas such as the Winter War instead of beefing up the AI and perfecting the Pacific Campaign. I only play vs. the AI and ther're a lot of games on this site that I consider to have a very good AI.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Despite personal reservations regarding the Marines DLC, I would certainly pick this game up at some point. In fact, I am sorry, I think you just missed a big sale on Steam that would have made purchasing the base game and Morning Sun well worth it.

It is good we keep nagging about the AI though, as there are very specific reported issues I'm sure they can fix. But overall, I have seen worse AI. However, the editor is among the very best, if that matters to you.

EDIT: Looks like it's on sale again. Never seen so many sales - after I've bought all this stuff full price. I guess if we knew the future, we'd all be millionaires [;)]
Moltke71

Post by Moltke71 »

I've found, to my chagrin, the AI in path 4 is much more aggressive. I'm playing the Manila scenario and find I can't use troops from the west to reinforce the drive on the bridges because, when I do pull them east, AI troops start retaking supply centers.
Jim Cobb
KarlXIIc

Post by KarlXIIc »

So when is the A.I going to be addressed ? Total silence from the developers. Are they only interested to get more money by throwing out DLC:s before we get fundamental improvements in the core game engine ?
lionel1957

Post by lionel1957 »

Has anyone experienced the AI slowing down after making changes to units.csv (such as mp, range ,etc.)?
Ted Smith
Kriegsspieler

Post by Kriegsspieler »

I am happy to give the a.i. time to evolve. I know from long experience with many different titles from many different companies that it takes along time to balance the a.i.'s performance against the quirks of the game engine. That's ok.

Aside from the shortcomings mentioned above, I thought it worth pointing out that the a.i. rarely seems to reinforce its units. Units retreat from view with a certain level of damage but then they reappear a turn or two later in exactly the same condition.
KarlXIIc

Post by KarlXIIc »

ORIGINAL: Kriegsspieler

I am happy to give the a.i. time to evolve. I know from long experience with many different titles from many different companies that it takes along time to balance the a.i.'s performance against the quirks of the game engine. That's ok.

The difference is that this game has been out for over one year already and 99% of the developers time has been spent on DLC:s instead of improving the core A.I. I haven´t seen a single improvement of the A.I in any patch notes apart from fixing bugs.
That´s not what I call evolving A.I over time. The same problem was with Panzer Corps as well. There are no A.I improvements at all. An example of a game with evolving A.I over time is Stardocks Galactic Civilizations 2 and 3 and Age of wonders 3.
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

Although the Pacific Theater is very interesting to me, the complete lack of any efforts to improve the AI has kept me from buying. It would be nice if the development team would address why there haven't been any attemts to improve the AI. Is it not possible with the AI they use in this game?
KarlXIIc

Post by KarlXIIc »

I have now played half the Winter War DLC after a pause with the game for 6 months due to lack of A.I improvements. My imperessions after playing this immediately after having completed Panzer Corps (Soviet), is that the A.I in Order of Battle is better. In fact, It was better than I remembered. But all reported problems still exists. For example the A.I could end an attack by using artillery and/or air attack instead of beginning with it. It also leaves primary VP without reason making it easy to recapture them. Also I have seen suicidal attacks and movements of weak units right in front of my strong ones even though the A.I could see me.
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

I've seen the AI do dumb stuff too, especially on offense, but on the whole I'm pretty happy with it. A lot of scenario seem to involve a certain amount of scripted AI, and that's fine with me. E.g., in the naval scenarios in the "U.S. Pacific" campaign, AI really hasn't been a big issue. Japan's AI does what it should do in Coral Sea -- what Japan did historically, more or less. That was fine with me. I had a blast with that scenario.

Yes, in land battles, sometimes it will do really dumb tactical stuff: attack with a low-strength unit, or fail to grab an obvious victory hex, etc. But strategically it's okay. E.g., in the Philippines, it knew enough to push south, and it succeeded, albeit too slowly. I still think it's better-than-average AI for a wargame.
richfed

Post by richfed »

The A.I. does need some tweaking, as per some of the examples noted in this thread, but if you play against it at Colonel level or above, the game can be pretty darn tough & quite a challenge. Great game that has held my interest for a very long time. I own all the DLCs, but I am addicted to the Allied & U.S. Marines campaigns. I would LOVE to see the two melded into a Grand Pacific Campaign.

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II”