The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Mike McCreery

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by Mike McCreery »

There is a possibility built into the algorithm that having a radar set present gives a worse outcome than if you had no radar present at all.

I am guessing that the information would be coming in wrong such as a wrong altitude or wrong time to target and thus possibly causing planes to be out of location.
Just part of the equation of the game.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I don't think radar affects AA. I read through much of the information suggested by Alfred. In several places there were clear statements to that effect.

Did you catch Alfred's comment that due to the peculiarities of the radar algorithm, there may be instances in which you're better off not having radar! (At least, that's what I understood him to say.) There's been no further explanation or elaboration on that point, but I hope there will be.

Correct on both counts.

Re: being worse off with radar, look for theElf's post (#16) in this thread.

tm.asp?m=2631648&mpage=1&key=radar

As to the experience levels. Those base forces overall have poor experience levels. I said it was an under the hood factor but in general terms, whenever anything in the game takes into account an experience level, 50% seems to be the minimum level for it to pass regularly whatever checks are in place.

I don't have the DaBabes cruise speeds but for scenario 1 there is a substantial delta between the Tony/Tojo at 249 mph and Sally/Helen at 202/210 with the Zero bracketed with the bombers.

There is another dev quote I'll see if I have time to track down.

Alfred
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

It's now obvious - your radar is being interfered with by your mountains of supply at Sabang (or maybe it's just the swarms of malarial mosquitoes). [;)]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

2/13/43

The first thought upon awakening: It's quiet! Then: I got some sleep last night!

The Commanchee hadn't attacked. There had been a few alarms, but all the settlers had gotten much needed rest. So had Clint.

Battle of Sumatra: No IJA sweeps. John stands down his fighters, which gives the Allied fighters much need rest, time to repair aircraft that needed it, and lower fatigue levels for the pilots. Allied fighter numbers are back up to 400 - about 10 or so less than when all the shooting began four turns back. The number of available fighters for next turn:
1. F4F - 125
2. P40E - 26
3. Buffalo - 18
4. F4U-1 - 17
5. Beaufighter - 9
6. Kittyhawk III - 5
7. P40K - 72
8. P38G - 24
9. P39D - 22

Total fighters available 318, which is almost 70 more than last turn. Total fighters at the base (including those down for maintenance/repairs) is 400. And reinforcements are coming.

So, after three days of sweeps, the Allies are in about the same position they were when the sweeps began. IE, if the equation doesn't change, the Allies can hold out for a long time to come. And time is everything, as you know. But John is probably searching for a way to break the status quo - the logjam. And the more anxious he becomes, the more likely he is to pull the trigger on an all-out attack. And that's what has me nervous in Georgia.

The KB was no mirage. No hallucination. It shows up today and sinks an empty xAK or two outbound from Sabang (and Bettys from Sumatra sank two empty xAK). But 18k supply will arrive tonight. Right now, supply is 292k. Mouseover shows enemy carrier TF is the real thing - well over 300 aircraft (more like 400+).

Is this the anvil, positioned now to hit any ships fleeing Sabang as John is about to unleash an attack? Or is this simply a blocking maneuver to stop what must seem to John like an endless stream of traffic between Colombo and Sabang? I hope its the latter. The Allies can withstand any kind of siege or embargo strategy given the supply level. It's the hammer and anvil I'm worried about. John has a decent chance of prevailing in an all-out attack by sea.

4EB from Sabang targeted Mergui port and found the stricken Mutsu, damaged so very long ago in one of the naval battles of Assam. They scored nine hits against her - puny 500 pounders, but enough to show more fires. Bombs also hit two other ships.

John may flip the turn, so I may know tonight whether this is Hammer and Anvil or Blocking Position. Keep your fingers crossed that it's the latter. Each day now, the Allied fighter corps grows in strength.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

2/14/43

Today the wagons rolled for the first time in four days, though it had seemed like a month. Clint picked up Commanch sign here and there. He figured there was trouble ahead and behind. But now his people knew a bit about fighting.

Battle of Sumatra: The KB moved west, closing towards Diego Garcia. One squadron of Tojos (30 in number) swept Sabang and came out on the losing end. But I think these were scouts that served as sacrificial lambs. I think John wanted to make sure that my carrier fighters are still posted at Sabang. He might be thinking about raiding deeper into the Indian waters. I have enough separation to allow most ships at risk to clear out, though there would undoubtedly be some casualties if he moves fast enough.

NavSearch and recon show capital ships down around Medan and vicinity. Sightings in this area usually precede raids or bombardments. One of these days, maybe even next turn, the "big one" will come at Sabang.

The fact that John kinda sacrificed that one squadron of Tojos suggests that he wasn't saving up for a big sweep tomorrow (but I could be reading that wrongly). I hope he indeed stands down while he focuses on a carrier raid. The Allied fighter corps at Sabang is growing stronger. Here are the numbers ready for action tomorrow:

1. F4F - 113 (one squadron upgraded to F4U-1s)
2. P40E - 22
3. Buffalo - 18
4. F4U-1 - 17 (with 15 more being prepped by flight crews)
5. Beaufighter - 7
6. Kittyhawk III - 5
7. P40K - 79
8. P38G - 25
9. P39D - 23

Total fighters available is 309. Tomorrow I'll probably bring in the squadron at Calcutta that changed from P40E to P38E a few days back. Eight or 10 of the Lightnings should be ready. There's also a Buffalo squadron at Calcutta ready to make the jump, but I'll leave it in place until the KB threat ends. Overall, I currently have 396 fighters and 11 fighter-bombers at Sabang, which is almost identical to the numbers back on 9th, just before the sweeps began.

IJ subs sank a couple of inbound xAKs, but others arrived safely. For the first time, supply exceeds 300k. Sabang airfields is 8.97 and probably advances tomorrow. Forts are at 4.29. All effort goes into fort building beginning tomorrow.

John invaded Bandjermasin in numbers to take care of the KNIL partisans (AV - 2) there. This included a pre-invasion bombardment and bombing runs by Jills and Kates. I think he lost a Kate to ops. Two more Allied subs topped off with fuel. The Japanese will reclaim the base tomorrow.

We're half way through February. I feel a bit better about the air campaign (with much credit to the Peanut Gallery for so much helpful advice and input). It's still dicey to have limited fighters within range of a dozen or more big IJ air bases so that John can bring his entire air force to bear if he wishes to do so. I think he could overwhelm me by sustaining the campaign and feeding in Zeroes. But I hope he won't. If he doesn't, the air war can drag out a long, long time. So now thoughts turn to land and sea. I think the Allies can hold on the front line south of Langsa. So, to my way of thinking, John's either going to invade Langsa or he's going to bring the entire Japanese navy to Sabang. These are the feverish imaginings I contend with every turn. But overall things look okay at the moment.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

John sent the wrong files this morning, so no turn until probably tonight. Hey, I can relax! Except...John included these comments in his email:

"I think it can be safely declared that we’ll know which way this fight in Sumatra will go by March 1st.

"What do you have against the good citizen’s of Tennant Creek? That last raid destroyed the lemonade stand on the corner of 1st Str and 2nd Ave. Considering there are only two streets and two avenues in the WHOLE hamlet, you might imagine the consternation and anger of the residents. Hope your bomber crews feel mighty bad about this!

"Don’t THINK I don’t see OTHER things happening..."

I evaluate this as genuine rather than misleading. I think he's decided he doesn't have time to win solely by waging an air war. Too, he probably knows a conventional ground campaign will take too long. So I think he's focusing on naval power (with John, doesn't it always come down to that?) My guess is either an invasion of Langsa or massive fleet action at Sabang. It'll be a combined arms thing, of course - meaning he'll employ everything - fighters, bombers, and probably KB posted as an anvil or in a blocking position.

Things will be dicey on the seas just as they have been in the air. The Allied fleet is badly outnumbered and surrounded by hostiles. But, again, help is on the way (though more slowly and in lesser numbers than I might hope for). Those Fletchers will be coming soon, and there are cruisers and fast BBs that will be coming.

I think John thinks the Tennant Creek bombing runs are a diversion. They aren't. They're intended to resemble a diversion.

As for his comment that he sees other things going on, I am as sure as I can possibly be that he's only picking up on those things he's intended to pick up on.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Canoerebel: As for his comment that he sees other things going on, I am as sure as I can possibly be that he's only picking up on those things he's intended to pick up on.

I had forgotten that you have pulled off some pretty slick maskarovkas and misdirections in the past. Looking forward to hearing about your current ones when you are ready to reveal!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

I can´t believe just how much information he is giving you via email! Its a gold mine! [:D]
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

The next major Allied amphibious operation will take place in June. The exact size and location will depend upon what's going on in Sumatra. If the Allies still hold Sabang, then John's attention and military forces will still be there. Another major factor is the air war - or more particularly the Allied fighter and bomber pools and how limited they are.

I'm nearly certain the next major offensive will come out of SWPac (Oz) and hit either Timor and vicininity or Rabaul and the Admiralties. Either way, I'll bypass the outer crust of IJ defenses in western Oz and the New Hebrides, striking deep instead. Operatiions of this nature will be much easier if John has to keep his focus on on Sumatra between now and summer. If he doesn't and begins to spread out his forces, I'll probably shift over to a CenPac campaign, again bypassing the outer crust to strike deep.

These plans depend on the Allied carrier force being massive, or truly a Death Star. I get enough CVs, CVLs, CVEs, and CVE conversions (special to this mod, I can convert a handful of AOs). So the plans depend in part on mainting the carrier fleet intact.

I don't want another major land mass invasion like Java, New Guinea, Philippines or Home Islands only because my airforce is relatively weak. I'm going to have a hard time rebuilding it anytime soon.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

2/15/43

Clint spent the morning on the trail ahead of the wagon, scouting for signs of Commanchee war parties. He'd picked up a trace here and there, but he wasn't sure whether the clues had been left to mislead the settlers. They were depending on him. He hoped for their sake and his that he was up to the task.

Battle of Sumatra:

No enemy sweeps today. KB moves back to a more central position between Sabang and Diego Garcia, able there to block traffic between Ceylon and Sumatra. I had briefly worried that John might have designs on Ceylon (now wouldn't that be something?), but I think he's focusing on Sumatra.

Mulling over his email comments today, I'm nearly positive this means an all-out naval strike on Sabang. HIs prediction of the immediacy of an outcome indicates it's not a ground war nor even an invasion of Langsa. Those would drag out, I think. And the air war will drag too. The only thing that offers him real short-term finality is to take control of Sabang by sea so that he can bombard it to death. So that's what I'm focusing on, though still planning for other possibilities plus combinations.

The naval war is problematic short term. I don't have that much at Sabang, and the KB prevents me from brining in more short term (not to mention that the Fletchers won't be ready at Colombo for about five days). There is a host of combat shipping at nearby Medan, a setting that has always preceded a big raid on Sabang. I want to cross John up a bit - delay him and give him a scenario other than what he's expecting. So I'm disbanding all ASW and merchants. I'll leave the port guarded only by PT boats. The three combat TFs (the big Indiana TF, the 5 USN DD TF, and the RN CA Dorsetshire TF will head out of port tonight. Some of them might target enemy merchant shipping at close by ports (like Phuket). But mainly the idea is to clear Sabang overnight, allow enemy combat TFs to come in (facing mines and PT boats) and for the Allied ships to return in the morning. If successful, John has lost a day. Plus it adds to things he has to consider - does he then consider sending in a bombardment TF against such a strategy? If so, is that bombardment TF at a disadvantage?

As for tonight, vacating the port is risky. If John crosses me up by sending in a huge combo of combat TFs PLUS bombardment TFs, he'll rip the base to shreds. But I've considered this and think it's far more likely he'll want to joust via combat.

As for the air war, the Allied fighter corps at Sabang is now at its strongest:

1. F4F - 125
2. F4U-1 - 20
3. P40E - 33
4. Buffalo - 18
5. Beaufighter - 10
6. Kittyhawk III - 7
7. P40K - 91
8. P38G - 26
9. P38E - 7
10. P39D - 27

The Allies thus have 364 fighters ready this turn. The total fighter corps at the base is 438 (plus 11 fighter-bombers).

Sabang airfield is 8.99, forts at 4.32, supply at 302k. AV at the base is 600, with 1st Marines the backbone.
Langsa has 350 AV behind 3 forts. The adjacent hex blocking the land route to Langsa has 1500 AV in jungle terrain. Two divisions there are behind 3 forts. The rest are part of the rotating "march towards Langsa" effort that always keeps meaningful reinforcements just a day or two away from that key port.

DEI: The Japanese reclaim Bandjermasin.

NoPac: A USA infantry regiment long ago booted out of Cold Bay then retreated up the peninsula to the next dot hex. A few months back, I sent them back towards Cold Bay. The've just arrived in the adjacent hex. I think John noticed them. I think this is what prompted his "I know what's going on" comment in his last email.
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

I came home & did a cheesy 'sandbox'. I put a lvl 7 allied AF on Pagan, 100k supply, & 3 BF for 6 CPS-1 radars. No fighter coverage at all. I put a 36 group of Helen's, and a 32 group of Tojo's on Saipan. Five raids for each group, 1 at 28-33k to cause the algorithm to hopefully change. All 10 raids were seen 10 minutes out. Totally unscientific, but all I have time for.

It would be interesting to see you try that with one BF with one radar. Same EXP, of course.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Just before sunset, a lone Commanchee, unarmed and riding a piebald mustang, approached the camp. He wore a breach cloth, bone necklace and a single hawk's feather, nothing else. His skin was like copper, unlined by age. Clint walked out and met him 50 yards beyond the Erwin wagon. In broken English and sign language, the warrior told Clint that the settlers were on a sacred burial ground and must leave. Then he turned and left without speaking another word.

OpSec: On Saturday night, John asked me if I had a list of our House Rules. I checked the start of my AAR and the game file and didnt' find anything. So I emailed him a list of nine that I could remember and said I'd try to think of any others. I thought of one other late that night and emailed John Sunday morning. It was like I'd hit him in the head with a stick. He wrote back saying this was the very issue being discussed in his AAR and that someone had violated OpSec by tipping me off. I wrote him back and told him that there hadn't been any OpSec violation. I hadn't heard from anybody. He apologized and we've moved on. (I can understand where he was coming from - the sequence was unusual and things are so tense in the game that we're on edge.)

The HR at issue is use of night bombers. He and I discussed this issue long after the game began - and, hence, long after the original HR were agreed to. If I remember correctly, the discussion came about shortly after I invaded Sabang. I think he might even have employed some bombers at night. We had a back and forth discussion. My memory is that there were Forum concerns at the time that night bombing was a bit borked. John and I agreed to mutually refrain, especially since night bombing was used fairly infrequently and never in massed numbers. And that was it for that topic.

So, if my memory is right, that discussion took place not long after the 11/10/42 D-Day - certainly before the end of 1942. I think I mentioned this in my AAR, so I'm going to go back and read through it (I read a bit last night and then tried a search, but without success.)

Anyhow, I think John is satisfied now that there wasn't an OpSec and that we did discuss and agree to refrain, at least from large use of night bombers. We haven't talked since that early exchange, but I'll check with him when he sends the next turn.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Well Canoe, the choice is yours. Even playing conservative will probably spell doom for John. If he does not throw you out of Sumatra then I see nothing bright in the fortunes of Japan. But it will be touch and go. Given the weakness of the Allied air force, I think a top Japanese player can throw the Allies out of Sumatra at this stage of the war, but it will take excellent play on his behalf with most all the force he has. Personally, I think I would be a bit cautious and force him to find a solution rather than try to run the table on him. But, there is the fun factor of just going hell for balls too....Phunket is a nice place to hold. He really is reaching a point where it is difficult to pull off many counter invasions.

I just think that I would rather be in your shoes..[;)]

I'm currently reading through the AAR to find the HR discussion on night bombers (a slow, arduous task given the length of this AAR). I haven't found anything yet, but did find this prescient comment by crsutton back around D+1 (around 11/11/42).
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Here are a few comments about the game.

First, as you can imagine, this has been just a blast. To have the tension and uncertainty of a vast operation that took forever to come to fruition come to fruiton in such a mighty way is simply amazingly fun. So, I tip my cap to the designer of this game and to my opponent, who fights hard and who is aggressive and who flips turns as often as possible and who sometimes irritates me but who I really, really like and who I know well enough to sometimes be able to put together amazingly intricate and fun plans that don't get sniffed out for Just In Time Reinforcements, Part III.

I am aware that the fun won't last and that big hurts are coming. That won't be fun. But dang, what a game!

Now, a true story about OpSec that may put everything into perspective. I once played a PBEM match as Allies against a crafty opponent who orchestrated a huge 1944 invasion of southern India. I had nothing there...except, one slow R-Class BB had just finished upgrading at Bombay and was enroute to Colombo. It just so happened that on the very turn the Japanese amphbious armada arrived at Trivandrum to begin unloading, said BB was in that hex. My opponent howled and screamed OpSec violation! I was beside myself that my honor had been questioned! It took us some turns and some harsh words to get that straighted out. Eventually, my opponent realized that nobody sends an unescorted BB into harm's way. Point being - a small coincidence was sufficient to unleash doubts about my integrity and OpSec.

My opponent in that game? John III.

Same thing in this game, but on a vastly larger scale. I won't go back through the details, but talk about massive consecutive coincidences and predictions! Anyhow, you can see how such an environment might breed questions. You can also imagine how somebody totally innocent - as John III is, of that I've never had a doubt - would be highly agitated, mortified, stricken and fuming about allegations of dishonor. So, gents, if any of you harbor any doubts, I hope you will agree that the circumstances warrant total dismissal of OpSec concerns. If anyone has publicly stated (as in John III's AAr) reservations about OPSec, I hope you can see it in your hearts to publicly withdraw them and repair any breach.

Now, I will say that it is possible for any player (including me) to pick up very subtle almost subliminal things through AAR comments. In the hands of a smart and wary AAR keeper, those things may coalesce in remarkably insightful ways that yield strong hunches. I think that kind of thing will happen in every game wtih an AAR. For instance, in this game, you guys have been remarkably, commendably, assiduously careful not to reveal OpSec. But I seemed to pick up sublte undercurrents that suggested my maskirovka might be working (though, at the same time, I was harboring doubts that some Japanese fans might even be performing counter-good feelings.). Let emphasize - these were the smallest of things - an attitude, a concern, and ephemera like that. OpSec violation? Of course not. Nobody even had the slightest idea that I might be able to sniff the slightest thing. But I'm convinced that any AAR is going to generate small electricl and magnetic undercurrents that almost become a part of the game. So, did John benefit from something like that? Probably. I just think that's universal, 100% unintentional, and 100% impossible to prevent.

Here's an interesting post D-Day comment about OpSec and coincidences....
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

The last sentence by JohnDillworth is in the AE Hall of Fame. In fact they should be the wrods that greet every visitor to the Hall of Fame.
ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth
And now, a commercial interruption [i.e. hijack] ...

OK - I have been quiet about this for a long time but my fifth grade teacher drilled some things into me that will not be compromised.

Let's get it straight: a strait does not have the letters "gh" and it may or may not be straight!

And "dire straights" would be heterosexual people opposed to gay marriage, while "dire straits" are narrow and hazardous channels that must be navigated carefully to avoid disaster.

Is everybody straight on straits now? Good! We resume the regular program ...
[/hijack off].

I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine[:)]
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

I'm currently reading through the AAR to find the HR discussion on night bombers (a slow, arduous task given the length of this AAR). I haven't found anything yet,

In early July 2013, around page 94 of this AAR, you should find some discussion of night bombing. It sounds like a night raid on Sabang was mounted, and there was no protest at the time.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I've read from D-Day up through page 100 of this AAR. There were alot of discussions in the AAR about night bombing. The post quoted below (2977 on page 100) is the most instructive up to that point. Post 2930 on page 98 also bears on the issus, as do a number of posts on earlier pages.

I figured you guys might appreciate an update that will help bring closure to the OpSec question.  John and I have exchanged lengthy but not exhaustive emails (that might take several emails).  The person who originally notified me of his own OpSec concerns also wrote John a lengthy and particularly well written email.  So John is fully aware of what happened, he's aware that I'm not taking night-bombing precautions until further notice, and we've briefly discussed night bombing (he didn't come right out and say it, but I think he intends to keep it at the historical nuisance level, which suits me fine and which I will reciprocate).  This all came together very nicely.  I don't think the slightest questions exist with regard to anybody involved in either AAR.  And that concludes the matter, as far as I'm concerned.
Mike McCreery

Post by Mike McCreery »

Here's an interesting post D-Day comment about OpSec and coincidences....

I noticed that your posting style changed after the general events in this AAR. I dont post anything I dont want my opponent to know although his honor is without question.

That completely eliminates any possibility of question in my mind and places the responsibility for OPSEC where it belongs, upon myself ;]
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

2/16/43

Clint well knew there were no "sacred grounds" here. The Commanchee were clever, and he thought they had come up with this ruse to get information. That warrior was doing nothing more than scouting, looking to get a head count and to feel out the settler's defenses. So Clint decided to cross them up by employing a new tactic. He put together a raiding party of his own - six of the settlers who seemed sure of themselves - able to move quietly, quickly and confidently, and not afraid of getting into a firefight at night.

Battle of Sumatra: A magnficient day for the Allied navy, as two combat TFs moved out of Sabang and hit vulnerable enemy shipping at Phuket. The four USN DDs went in first, hammering a large xAK convoy, then moving on to hit an xAP convoy, then finally tangling with four or five IJN DDs plus CL Tama. Behind the US DDs came an RN cruiser TF that mauled the xAP TF and then stood toe-to-toe with the IJN DDs. The result of all this was that the Japanese lost 160 points in shipping, including CL Tama and a bunch of xAK and xAP (including at least four 18-pointers of the latter, so good ships). The Japanese might also lose a DD and some smaller escorts (TB and E). The Allies lost DD Farenholt. CL Birmingham suffered light-moderate damage - enough that she probably shouldn't be sent into battle again. The Japanse ships were carrying troops - lots of squads destroyed. These might have been parts of 48th Division being extracted from the island or base support incoming...or both. Why John left this TF unprotected just those few hexes from Sabang only he can say. :)

BB Indiana TF was also inbound to Phuket. I think all targets must have been gone when she arrived, because no action occurred. So I don't think John is even aware that Sabang was totally unguarded for one turn.

No enemy sweeps of Sabang. The airfield goes to level 9. Fighter numbers up to 460 or so. I"m going to release some supply as the units at Langsa are low. Last time I did this the open spigot let too much out. I've tried to configure it properly. Let's see.

Still lots of enemy capital ships around. They'll come for Sabang any night now - very possibly tonight. The RN cruiser force isn't available as she's still one hex from Sabang and low on ammo. She'll disband. The three USN DDs and the Indiana TF are present and fully supplied. Should I vacate the port again, hoping that John sends in combat TFs (and no bombardment TFs!) so that he encounters only mines and PT boats? Or is that too much of a risk now? I'm leaning towards vacating port tonight. (But....the thought just occurred that perhaps he sent in combat ships last night and they found the port empty...only there are the PT boats, so that seems unlikely.)

KB: disappeared from the radar screen. I have picket ships out there, so I'm hoping to pick her back up. I want to send combat ship reinforcments to Sabang, but don't want them hammered by the KB. Also, Fletchers begin to come back online in two days. It would be very helpful if the KB didn't maintain a blocking position. But that's entirely in John's hands.

DEI: SigInt that a base force is inbound to Dempassar - John is attending to the gap in NavSearch. Two USN DDs from Perth will try to intercept, though they're probably too far away to make it in time.

USN Subs: Sank an xAK near Truk and damage a troop xAP (destroying some squads) off the China coast.

It was a good day for the Allies. But the thing is that things can change daily given the immense forces concentrated in the Sumatra area. I think the Allies can hold their own in the air war now. The ground war is going fine. I'm concerned about the vulnerability of Langsa to invasion. But the biggest problem right now is combat ship disparity. There's very little doubt that John can overwhelm the Allied ships at Sabang. The two unknowns are: (1) will 960 mines prove effective against enemy ships, and (2) when can I send in meaningful reinforcements?
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Decisions made. Orders given.

1. Indiana TF and USN DD TF will remain at Sabang and patrol. Two PT boat TFs will patrol one hex to the east.
2. Two TBF squadrons moved from Colombo to Sabang and set at range two. One small fighter squadron at Sabang likewise set at two. These are just in case a sea battle takes place at Sabang and cripples only make a hex or two afterwards.
3. Allied subs far to the west of Sabang show 10/10 detection levels, so I think KB is loitering out there.
4. As you can imagine, John was stung at Phuket last turn. His comments in his email confirmed that. I think he'll be looking for revenge tonight. I was very tempted to move the combat ships out of Sabang so that he wouldn't have a target for his blood lust, but the deciding factor was concern that he might just be so mad that he would send bombardment ships in.

Every turn is immense now.

Return to “After Action Reports”