In defense of Helpers in single player

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

willgamer

In defense of Helpers in single player

Post by willgamer »

I suggest that Helpers are simply one form of allocating victory points for the single player and play an organic, necessary part of the PP sub game.

There are many choices and options that adjust victory points. Most are set at the beginning of play and don't change. Helpers are also a victory point adjuster that can happen at a later time. This can be a planned strategy on the part of the player who wishes to attempt a victory at a certain VP level.

For example, a player may consider the trade off for an early Romanian, more likely Finnish entry, decisions limited, or Helper PP points later in order to end the game with a certain VP level.

Because I like to play with all the two right hand Settings columns off, there will be a lot of need for PP points. It's widely noted that there is a snowball effect for this game. That doesn't only apply to the battlefield; it is very real in the PP side of the game. Random ill fortune is not exclusive to the the poor un-activated SU player, it can also swamp the PP game for the German player in early turns since not enough PP=bad results in decisions=more expensive decisions.

So, in my case, a rational choice for VP allocations would be to conserve and perhaps increase the difficulty rating for static VP choices, while planning to apply for PP Helper later in the game that will give back some of the banked VPs. It's a little like football or baseball salary cap maneuvers.

I understand that VICTORY, not VPs is the most important thing right now. However, as players gain experience, I believe that setting goals with respect to VPs will receive more attention.

Rex Lex or Lex Rex?

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”