Tourney - Rd 3 - Seminole v LiquidSky

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderator: MOD_WarintheWest

Seminole

Tourney - Rd 3 - Seminole v LiquidSky

Post by Seminole »

Rommel attacks again!
Afrika Panzer Korps declares all week 1 objectives have been obtained. French and American forces have been scattered or isolated.

"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
whoofe

RE: Tourney - Rd 3 - Seminole v LiquidSky

Post by whoofe »

this looks familiar...
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

It is a little refined from last go around, but more similar than my method in the first round.
LS has two advantages on you at this stage. The southernmost French unit retreated instead of routing or shattering, and the next turn has a lot of rain, so motorized movement on both sides will be compromised for at least a week.
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

I am taking a much different approach to the Germans. Instead of trying to isolate and kill allied units, I isolate then rout them out of the battle area.

Score for the German first turn so far is

69: LiquidSky-Axis vrs 19: Seminole Allied
58: Seminole-Axis vrs 43: LiquidSky Allied

Now to see what I can do with the allies.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

I am taking a much different approach to the Germans. Instead of trying to isolate and kill allied units, I isolate then rout them out of the battle area.

Just depends what you're trying to accomplishment in the moment. If I'm blowing open a hole in the enemy line a rout is great. But if I want to take some enemy counters off the map for the next month a surrender is even better. Especially if they're part of a larger formation and that larger formation can no longer recombine.

First Allied turn complete. Ike takes the week to re-organize front line and form reserves from the units recently routed and newly arriving.

LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

End of Turn one for the allies.

Score:
LiquidSky-Axis 119, Seminole-Allied 36
Seminole-Axis 108, LiquidSky-Allied 92

With copious amounts of airpower I routed a german panzer regiment in an open hex between isolation and freedom. With help from a non isolated unit (and a lot of artillery) I also freed the other isolated stack.

I feel that the scenario is badly named. It should be called Allies attack! The Axis are outnumbered 2-1 in men. 3-1 in afvs. Almost 2-1 in air. The Germans need to take what they can on the first turn..then hold it for as long as they can.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
whoofe

Post by whoofe »

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

End of Turn one for the allies.

Score:
LiquidSky-Axis 119, Seminole-Allied 36
Seminole-Axis 108, LiquidSky-Allied 92

With copious amounts of airpower I routed a german panzer regiment in an open hex between isolation and freedom. With help from a non isolated unit (and a lot of artillery) I also freed the other isolated stack.

I feel that the scenario is badly named. It should be called Allies attack! The Axis are outnumbered 2-1 in men. 3-1 in afvs. Almost 2-1 in air. The Germans need to take what they can on the first turn..then hold it for as long as they can.

oh I had a nice lead as axis to start with too... then by turn 3 I was doomed. Seminole does a great job using his units movement to the fullest and placing them exactly where they need to be.

Seminole

Post by Seminole »

With the lines stabilizing Ike orders BR V Corps to press the attack. The Italians holding the Axis north flank are by far the weakest link.

The Germans have sought to reinforce by moving the air landing brigade in support, and the Panzer division to guard the only remaining major airstrip.

Seminole

Post by Seminole »

With copious amounts of airpower I routed a german panzer regiment in an open hex between isolation and freedom.

56 unit bombings appear to exceeded a boundary, as my ground elements disrupted list as -1 in the ground combat.

I wonder if that contributed in some manner to the isolated unit routing a unit in supply with twice the CV?
As I understand it unit disruption is supposed to reset with a portion becoming fatigue (the other likely culprit in the rout) after combat. Does it do so after each air combat?

Seminole

Post by Seminole »

The Allies press around Pichon while an impatient Von Arnhim routs the stubborn Americans.

LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

I kinda overdid it with the unit bombing. About 1/3rd of the missions weren't needed, and did nothing. What I did find interesting from the combat is that no axis airplanes made an appearance. I think I lost 15 to operational damage, which was probably due to light flak damage.

I have to run off to 2 days of 12 hour night shifts, so I will have to continue the game on Wednesday morning when I get home.

Seminole

Post by Seminole »

I kinda overdid it with the unit bombing. About 1/3rd of the missions weren't needed, and did nothing.

Don't measure bombing by kills alone. Those 'do nothing' missions generate disruption.
I don't know why it showed me going into the ground battle with -1 disruption except that a counter somewhere got overwhelmed. I'll go into more detail with the real AAR.

Even if you think you're going overkill on the air missions weather cancellations can play a roll. That's why I didn't bomb (and subsequently didn't attack) the Italian armored division at Kasserine when it was alone one the first turn.
The variable weather, and variable ground saturation levels, add a lot of replayability to this scenario.

What I did find interesting from the combat is that no axis airplanes made an appearance. I think I lost 15 to operational damage, which was probably due to light flak damage.

Looking over my screenshots of the 5 battles launched by the Allies 4 had Luftwaffe ground support.

Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

ORIGINAL: Seminole
With copious amounts of airpower I routed a german panzer regiment in an open hex between isolation and freedom.

56 unit bombings appear to exceeded a boundary, as my ground elements disrupted list as -1 in the ground combat.

I wonder if that contributed in some manner to the isolated unit routing a unit in supply with twice the CV?
As I understand it unit disruption is supposed to reset with a portion becoming fatigue (the other likely culprit in the rout) after combat. Does it do so after each air combat?

I assume that was 8 bombings per day for 7 days to equal the 56 bombings. Is that right? If so are you at liberty to say how many aircraft were involved in each bombing. It makes sense that 56 bombings by 100 aircraft would do a lot more damage than 56 bombings by 10 aircraft. One of the problems, in my opinion, would be if 56 bombings by 10 aircraft (560 total sorties) also gives better results than 6 bombings by 100 aircraft (600 sorties).
Robert Harris
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

I meant during the actual unit bombing...it seemed that I lost nothing to air combat.

I sent in pretty much all the American planes, except for the Spitfires (US) that I kept back in reserve for fighting Axis planes on his turn. I sent in 6 different strikes, each given at least one squadron of around 60 aircraft. Most of them FB-F in FB* mode. By the end of the week, nothing was being bombed, but then Seminole is right, there still is an effect. Even ammo for the flak guns is being used, depleting the unit.

Weather did play a role..or maybe morale as some squadrons were able to bomb more then others. I didn't bother parsing too much of the information as I was thinking more about unit positioning at the time.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

interesting information.

Good game play by both sides.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Allied turn is done. I bombed a number of German airfields destroying 73 aircraft for the cost of 3 of mine.

I retook Sdid Bouzid and I also took Pichon...worth 30 vps for me and denying 15 vps for the Germans.

End of Turn 2 Allies:

Seminole-Axis 204. LiquidSky-Allied 167.
LiquidSky-Axis 238. Seminole-Allied 63.

I'm rather tired from working all night, so the German turn 3 will have to wait until I wake up late afternoon. It involves a lot more thinking as the Germans (I think) are the harder side to play.
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Something tells me that being in a clear hex, in good weather adjacent to a (mostly) rested Panzer Division is not going to be very healthy. This is the start of my turn.

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (81.56 KiB) Viewed 185 times
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

This will be remembered as Balck's Backhand Blow. Take that Manstein.

All of the offending allied units have been routed/pushed back to whence they came.

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (58.69 KiB) Viewed 185 times
whoofe

Post by whoofe »

truly this is a nicely matched final!
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

I haven't opened either of the turns yet, but will get through them tonight.
Edge is definitely to LS so far.

Return to “After Action Reports”