CTGW

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

HobbesACW

CTGW

Post by HobbesACW »

Hi folks, I read a few good reviews about this game and couldn't believe I had missed it. I had my credit card in hand. Then I read posts about the German AI collapsing in 1915 when Italy enters the war. I thought it might be playable as the central powers but then there are posts about a Russian AI collapse, game balance being off, fighter aircraft being over powered against land units (and in the way) and poor map zoom. Somewhat recently a post about the AI scripts etc being available to modders but then nothing else about this. So I form an opinion that it is a game that got close to being very good but ended up broken unless played PBEM. I want to try it, but it seems it would be a waste of money for me as I don't want a PBEM game at the moment?

Cheers,
Chris
lparkh

RE: CTGW

Post by lparkh »

I thought the AI was quite good in the early versions. I'd give it a go. It's not a human but it played better then I see most games play. It gave me a run for my $$ for awhile. Just my opinion.
Housies

Post by Housies »

Had a lot of fun with it, but its not perfect.
And the support of the devs is not that great. They tend to screw up stuff every patch.

I would recommend to wait for a sale period when you have to pay less.
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: Housies

Had a lot of fun with it, but its not perfect.
And the support of the devs is not that great. They tend to screw up stuff every patch.

I would recommend to wait for a sale period when you have to pay less.

ditto![;)]
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest

Return to “Commander - The Great War”