What Settings are the Tutorials under?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Guardian54

What Settings are the Tutorials under?

Post by Guardian54 »

I'm trying to learn how to play Securan via using a Tutorial instead of just free play...
...And I'm noticing that EVERYONE ELSE in Tutorial 1 starts off bigger.

It's as if I'm set to Young and they are set to Expanding. Sure, everyone's at Tech 2 (i.e. has racial techs Mk 1), but you'd think that a Tutorial would at least set everyone else to be equal if not weaker than you.

The first time I tried it I got a decent home system but got rekt by Legendary Pirates about two years in... and had a Xenophobic Spy which made spy savescumming even MORE tedious than needed, because AFAIK Concealment does affect tech theft, not just Espionage... right?

Question: How do you unlock character skills? I really need to figure out how to trigger Espionage into unlocking so that stealing one tech doesn't take me 8 "months" (i.e. a year in-game due to time ticks and at least 1 hour of spamming reloads).

Anyhow, this time trying Tutorial 1 I got a Tolerant spy who just got Measured, but I have just realized EVERYONE ELSE has 6+ colonies at start and I have 2.
Oh well, I can at least console myself with the fact that they can't savescum and won't cheese resupply ships, because making us start at 3:1 colony disadvantage without a Spy who at least has Espionage skill unlocked... That does not a tutorial make. THIS CALLS FOR SCUMMING/CHEESE/CHEATING!

EDIT: I just checked, Tutorial 2, 3 have the same problems. Tutorial 4, 5, and 6 are consdierably less unreasonable by giving you the same starting size as everyone else. I have no intention on finding out if it holds for the Dealing with Pirates tutorial because if not I'd be wasting my time with 1 planet start versus... probably 6-9.
Hattori Hanzo

RE: What Settings are the Tutorials under?

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

I'm a "Distant Worlds Universe" learner too and I'm curious: there is a particular reason after your choice to use a Tutorial play to learn how to play Securan instead of a simple customed "beginner" Securan game ?

I always used the Tutorials only to learn the specifing lessons and never continued to play them after that specific lesson is ended.
Guardian54

Post by Guardian54 »

I was under the impression the Tutorials were even easier than standard games.

I was very clearly wrong.

On the other hand Securan has to be one of the most insanely easy races ever to play. That population growth (and with doubled growth for 1 in every 3 years too) without the Atuuk construction speed handicap is mind-blowingly OP. Even on Extreme the population growth and ridiculous happiness means you can out-money everyone else...
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

Securans are ok but the utopian paradise government is weak. I'd rather play gizurean.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

maybe you can find interesting this thread:

"How to play an Easy Introductory Game in the Pre-Warp Age of Shadows"

in the Matrix forum.

sorry I cannot post the link 'cause I have too few posts on the forum.. [:(]

Seraph86

Post by Seraph86 »

i can recommend das24680 how to play DW:U series:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... fYStObtNFc

the difference in the races are their traits, bonuses and special government types. you understanding the game on a good level will help you play any race!
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

really impressive, this DW:U series should really help a slow-learner as I am.. [:D]

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”