More general questions:

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Revthought

More general questions:

Post by Revthought »

Cross posting from SA: WiTE questions (playing on normal)

1. I have had some trouble with the Germans due, I think, to the fact that I cannot keep fuel in my armored units past turn two . For example, I read about how easy it is to take Leningrad. In about 12 starts played until September 15th, I've failed to take the damn city. By the time I've got fuel again (usually turn 4) I'm facing a wall of infantry.

The closest I've come to taking Leningrad is slogging with infantry straight across from Talin, without even bothering to try and encircle the city. In that case I was only able to take the city south of the river.

2. Besides air dropping supplies, is there anything else I should be doing? Is there a setting that shows HQ radius, etc that I am just totally missing.

3. Do the Soviet's get a bonus to entrenching? It seems like if I use HQ build up for a turn I'm suddenly facing what was a unit with a CV of 1 that now has a CV of 8 or above.

4. Is there a way to globally set TOE/Replacement values? I want to immediately turn these down across the board (some more than others) except for armor and monetized units, to save on armaments and manpower for after the blizzard; however, I can only figure out how to do this by literally clicking on every division in the game.

5. Is there a way to set individual units to manual upgrade?

6. Is there a way to disband support units? I'd like to get rid of some of the excess SP flak units until 1942 when the highly motorized flak becomes available?

7. Is it at all possible to breakdown German units? If not, why the hell not. It would make my job of a continuous line so much easier.

8. In my best game I've captured over 2.5 million Soviets and killed more than a million more by the blizzard. This seems great as there is zero Soviet movement against my forces in the North or Center; however, in the south the Soviet's have kicked the Romanians teeth in. So much so I had to abandon Odessa and I'm actually concerned the Soviets will knock Romanian out of the war.

I've moved the bulk of the 1st panzer south to help, but blizzard conditions being blizzard conditions...

Any advice?
Playing at war is a far better vocation than making people fight in them.
Peltonx

RE: More general questions:

Post by Peltonx »

I say your issue is rail repair and your opening turn.

I posted mine more then a few times.

Turn 1 Riga should fall.

you should have 2 not 1 units railing the first 2 turns towards Riga.

yes by turn 3 your out of gas as planes now cant drop fuel until end of turn 3.

BUT

turn 4 you should be doing 2 HQBU's and 3rd Panzer Corp does one turn 5.

To be honest I don't even do fuel drops in north any more. I just do the right RR combo - the right combo means u have 1 hex north of Riga repaired turn 3 so turn 4 you can do build ups.

I also have posted right combos for assaulting Leningrad 6+ times but lucky for u one has been withen last few days.

RR is critical and so is a solid opening.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

ORIGINAL: Revthought

3. Do the Soviet's get a bonus to entrenching? It seems like if I use HQ build up for a turn I'm suddenly facing what was a unit with a CV of 1 that now has a CV of 8 or above.

4. Is there a way to globally set TOE/Replacement values? I want to immediately turn these down across the board (some more than others) except for armor and monetized units, to save on armaments and manpower for after the blizzard; however, I can only figure out how to do this by literally clicking on every division in the game.

5. Is there a way to set individual units to manual upgrade?

6. Is there a way to disband support units? I'd like to get rid of some of the excess SP flak units until 1942 when the highly motorized flak becomes available?

7. Is it at all possible to breakdown German units? If not, why the hell not. It would make my job of a continuous line so much easier.

8. In my best game I've captured over 2.5 million Soviets and killed more than a million more by the blizzard. This seems great as there is zero Soviet movement against my forces in the North or Center; however, in the south the Soviet's have kicked the Romanians teeth in. So much so I had to abandon Odessa and I'm actually concerned the Soviets will knock Romanian out of the war.

I've moved the bulk of the 1st panzer south to help, but blizzard conditions being blizzard conditions...

Any advice?

3 yes but I don't know how much, and no fort could increase a CV of 1 to 8

4 Yes in the command report screen. Filter to the unit types you want to change then click om 'max TOE's under the word 'functions' near top right of screen. NB you can't change max TOE for frozen units

5 only aircraft

6 just as with any ground unit: right click on unit with the SU, right click on the SU then click disband. NB disbanding is not possible in all circs so don't worry if you can't see the disband option every time.

7 yes. German and Finnish divs breakdown to 3 regts. Russian corps also breakdown to their constituent divs/brigades.

8 In the south you should at least have taken the Donbass cities (Stalino etc) so no way Russian can get to Odessa

Much of the bove can be found in the manual. It's well worth a read as are the AARs which should give you some good ideas about how to improve your game
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

This was possibly a low TOE 1.9 CV unit that received replacements to make it 4 CV and built a fort = 8 CV

8.however, in the south the Soviet's have kicked the Romanians teeth in. So much so I had to abandon Odessa and I'm actually concerned the Soviets will knock Romanian out of the war.
The Romanian, Italian and Hungarian armies should be considered as auxiliary forces. Used to support German formations, not replace them. Use them to garrison, or to add depth to a defense, or where there are excellent terrain modifiers. Even then keep German divisions close by to counterattack any breakthroughs.
Especially don't rely on Axis minors during the first winter.

loki100

Post by loki100 »

The Soviets get two advantages. If they are close to a city then the population helps out, also its pretty standard for the Soviets to raise and use a lot of sapper/engineering units. So yes, in practice they can generate a level 2 fort with some speed
morvael

Post by morvael »

They have some bonus to etrenching too, so even with lower morale and experience they etrench with similar speed to German units.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”