Fed up with video games?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Kuokkanen

Fed up with video games?

Post by Kuokkanen »

From Steam sale thread:
ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

ORIGINAL: demjansk

Thanks wings for placing these posts on the site. I like looking at them and even though I am not buying right now - sort of in a "Gaming funk"

For some reason I rather just read about the games than play them, weird - I bought DC3 and rarely play it - it's like "wargame burnout"

Are you in your late 40's or 50 and above? I've had burnout for years now and not seeing gaming as I used to. My significant other says I'm growing up finally but I don't want to believe that (haha)

I think it is because the computer has taken over too much of the game experience. Die rolling, movement, doing everything but the strategy part (even command ops and norbsoft games will play themselves if you don't put any input in now). All I really seem to be doing is pressing the left and every once in awhile the right mouse button and rolling a mouse wheel.

I'm questioning what's fun about the games anymore. Why do I sit and watch a machine roll the die for me, move my pieces and make bad mistakes. Sometimes strategy just isn't enough. I miss the physical parts of the game. The rules lawyering [:D], the die rolling (especially the die rolling), the arguments about the rules, the cat accidents. [:'(] the setting up of the board itself. I love the smell of new cardboard in the mornings. ahhhhhh

Thing is I was glad when computers came along to take me away from all that. I didn't know the consequences of it then. Took 30 something years to find out though [X(]

Have all the good new designs been made? Just can't seem to find anything that really entices me to a gotta have it feeling anymore. I'd rather watch old documentaries on YouTube about the Roman and Greek eras and WWII and Civil war stuff now. Every once in awhile will look at some Napoleon ones or movies.
Who are on the same boat? I used to be there. Then I invested some thousands €s on analog wargames: BattleTech and Warhammer 40,000. Can you believe this: some people seem to think that video games and computer hardware required to run them are expensive.

I'm 34 years old and I started wargaming with computers and game consoles. Earliest wargame I remember playing was NES version of North & South. If I ever played other wargames before that on Commodore 64, I have forgot about them. Before any of that though, I played board games. In 2003 or so, I bought Classic BattleTech Master Rules Revised Edition and started my way to "real" wargames. I have spent some late evenings putting together WH40k plastic tanks up to 23 o'clock ( = 11 PM). Yeah, sometimes work hours suck THAT much. But then I got pretty much sick of it and I have several model kit boxes (both tin & plastic, for both BattleTech & WH40k) unopened. At end of the last year I got started playing video games again and it feels fun for a change.

Where do rest of you stand?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
SuluSea

RE: Fed up with video games?

Post by SuluSea »

In my early 50s and doubt I'll ever experience video game burnout. I use my games as not only an entertainment platform but also use the programs (and this website) as a tool to learn about the conflicts I invest my time in.

My zeal may come and go depending on personal issues but love my history games.
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

I have a huge collection of video games. I suspect I always will. However, I am a war gamer and love to play monster war board games. The most recent in my collection I am working through (solo atm so I can learn it before I play with a buddy) is MMPs Beyond the Rhine. Board games are an animal all of their own. I go through spells where I prefer to play board games over my video games.

Here is a link for anyone that may be interested. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/ ... yond-rhine
waltero

Post by waltero »

Gaming is still fun, but I do not find winning so exiting anymore. I enjoy the game and play to have fun.
I don't have to work so hard at it. Win or lose, no matter I have fun either way.
Not sure that is a burn out or not?

"WELL ~ Mrs. LIncoln,
other than that, How was the play?
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: waltero

Gaming is still fun, but I do not find winning so exiting anymore. I enjoy the game and play to have fun.
I don't have to work so hard at it. Win or lose, no matter I have fun either way.
Not sure that is a burn out or not?

Do you play any online multiplayer games or PBEM?
waltero

Post by waltero »

I do. I Rarely find an opponent that will play live. I will play BPEM but prefer live.
"WELL ~ Mrs. LIncoln,
other than that, How was the play?
wings7

Post by wings7 »

I've been a gamer all my life (I'm at the retirement age). I have a large computer game collection (I hate that term "video games", it sounds so juvenile), I like strategy games the most but I like many other game genre's. I also have a sizable board game collection (mainly war related strategy), I've done more computer gaming in the last 10 years but I still enjoy a good board game (solitaire and face to face). I have yet to have any game burn-out. The lack of any game burn-out is attributed to my love of music and reading (History, Music and Biography)...[:)]

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

Not really. Every now and then I start to get burned out slightly and then another gem comes along.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
Zap

Post by Zap »

I have not yet. Though I can see if you only played one game You could burn out. I don't play that many different games. Really, I have been Pbeming the CS Series for a good 7 years (almost exclusively). It must be because of the interaction with other players that keeps the game experience fresh.
jamus34

Post by jamus34 »

I got burnt out on the console "annual releases from AAA publishers" that are little more than a new coat of paint, some stat changes and a different location (depending on the genre you are talking about)

I started seriously getting into computer wargames about 2 years ago. I find myself gravitating toward the grand strategy more than the operational stuff but I don't want to limit myself either.

I also like the games I can pick up for 5-10 minutes and not worry about it - roguelikes, rouge-lites, and twin stick indie games. There's not a lot of meat on the bones but they often pass the fun test and that's really all that matters to me anymore.

If a game (or any hobby really) isn't "fun"...why bother doing it?

I think I will always be a gamer...but my tastes have and will continue to evolve.
AbwehrX

Post by AbwehrX »

Nothing compares to a World in FLames FE (boardgame) grudgematch between 8 grumpy middle aged men...nothing! [:D]
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Nothing compares to a World in FLames FE (boardgame) grudgematch between 8 grumpy middle aged men...nothing!

Here! Here AbwehrX!

I'm in my early 50's and noticed something for the first time in my life when DC3 came out. I didn't buy it and decided to watch the AAR's first...watched two awesome players go head to head and then switch sides. Afterwards I felt like that was all there was to it and decided not to buy (perhaps at a deep discount in future). WiF is my favorite game and it has high re-playability...so I am looking forward to buying it soon (anniversary coupon).

I really do not care much for AI beyond the first week...and don't care how good it is. I prefer to play vs humans, but even that is not enough. The only way to quell my megalomania is to play in big competitions such as ladder tournaments. For me, the community for that game needs to be strong and large enough to support something like this before I buy it.

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: wings7

(I hate that term "video games", it sounds so juvenile)
But it doesn't exclude game console games [8|]
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Cant stand video games anymore, just too boring and lack of interests. Just moved into something even more complex and time consuming, so fu*k my life lol.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

Cant stand video games anymore, just too boring and lack of interests. Just moved into something even more complex and time consuming, so fu*k my life lol.

Seriously? Have you look at "The Last of Us"?

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... last-of-us

You gotta go on YouTube and watch a Let's Play of it though it's hilarious.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen
ORIGINAL: wings7

(I hate that term "video games", it sounds so juvenile)
But it doesn't exclude game console games [8|]

True, even though consoles have the power like a desktop, console games are better served being called "video games".
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

Seriously? Have you look at "The Last of Us"?

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... last-of-us

You gotta go on YouTube and watch a Let's Play of it though it's hilarious.

Good lord, hope the kids don't play that, we would have a different world out there. Think I am gonna stay home for awhile.
AbwehrX

Post by AbwehrX »

That is hilarious. Games such as that and GTA can always pull me out of the doldrums.
jday305

Post by jday305 »

I started playing strategy games in the early 80's but haven't played a strategy board game since the early 90's due to lack of opposing players. I will always enjoy strategy computers games as its a way to relax after work or when I'm bored on my days off.
RebelYell

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."
“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

Every so often I get burned out playing computer games and do more reading.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

Return to “General Discussion”