Classic WIF screw ups......

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Vanman

Classic WIF screw ups......

Post by Vanman »

Just finished my first Global Campaign game via teamviewer....and it was wonderful. Simple, yet intricate, very
challenging, frustrating at time (bad die rolls 1D10) but highly rewarding. I did learn a few things the hard way
though, but even then there are some errors I repeated more than once due to mental sloppiness that can easily occur.

Classics include:

1. Forgetting Divisions do not have ZOC. How many times do I think I have blocked my opponent and then shockingly
see him move his Chinese cavalry way behind the front line, occupying a city that will now be sprouting Chinese in-
supply reinforcements behind me. Banzai...thud.

2. Parking your HQ right next to an enemy artillery unit, who then flips you next impulse! (clap, clap, clap, well done).

3. Railway/Partisan connection. Partisans arrive, cutting off the only railway back to the Reich. Oops. I guess,
I should have cleared up that other railway line first.

Anyone else care to add?
Steve
paulderynck

RE: Classic WIF screw ups......

Post by paulderynck »

Learning how well MWiF respects the sequence of play. No shortcuts, no going back (well if all agree and its egregious enough then reload an auto-save).

But for me as a long term WiF boardgame player, the biggest difference is getting used to the regimented sequence of play. We were used to all kinds of liberties:
- "I'll do this rebase or this re-org now 'cuz I'm looking at this front, so I won't forget"; or
- "Oh, now that I see my naval moves with greater clarity, is it OK if I fly this naval air mission I sorta forgot?"; or
- "I've left my rail moves for after my land moves 'cuz I wasn't too sure where I'd need the units or whether an HQ might likely flip anyway and have an extra re-org point hanging loose"

Of course the usual reply to that last one is: "Well, OK, but are you sure that hex wasn't fully stacked before you started moving?"
Paul
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

You reminded me: Moves all(most) land units (like in mid-late game Russia)...and then has a change of mind...puts them back to where he positively knows they started from, and then moves again.[:@]

Also, your opponent chooses not to pay attention to your moves while you are making them...maybe watches TV instead, then half-way through your move he comes back to the game asking: "where did that unit come from?"[&:]

Last game you played USSR your WAllies decided not to help out at all...or if they did they sent you 1BP or 1 resource per turn. Then some next game one of them is playing USSR and you are CW or US and you remember his effort for your USSR as he asks you how much you will contribute. Axis players laughing when you announce your decision. Then more laughter when you reveal why. All Allied players angry and not laughing.[:-]

CW gets no or little help from the US player...CW and US strongly disagree on strategy, each going its own way (CW in Norway, US on west coast of Morocco (Axis have Gibraltar/Portugal/Spain))...US gets in supply trouble...demands CW units (rejected other than supply units) then eats CW supply units like candy.[X(] Axis players laughing.
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Classic screw ups in WIF/MWIF? Well mine start the moment I open the box/click on the 'start game'....
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
alexvand

Post by alexvand »

Wait, you mean the Allies can have Partisans? In Calcutta?

3 cruisers and you've cut off supply to Truk, which contains the entire Japanese navy?

What do you mean I don't have enough CPs out? I forgot a late turn Naval move to fix a hole the Germans blew in the CP line. There goes a stack of BPs. Too busy enjoying moving the shiny chrome.
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

And the glorious Red Army Paratroopers seize Harbin in a stunning coup-de-main. Manchuria belongs to Uncle Joe now! What? Factory hexes?
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

My two biggest ones are:

(1) Getting the right unit mix at modest odds for a Blitz attack only to realize I forgot to account for that AT division which turns my Blitz attack into a +8 assault attack.

(2) Getting the right odds on an assault attack only to find that I forgot about the defensive ground support that turns it into a nightmare attack.
Ronnie
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

truly a classic WiF screw-up is an attack using an HQ-A and no other Blitz unit when the defender can call the table...
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Forgetting to call for the use of winterized units by Germany (the Finns) when attacking Leningrad in snow... [&:] The die was already rolled... [:(][>:]
Peter
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

My favorite boardgame one - which is impossible to do in MWiF BTW - was when my opponent forgot to add the CW force pool additions at the beginning of 1941.
Paul
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Rolling the weather die. Always a mistake. [:)]
I thought I knew how to play this game....
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

Use all your land movements in a combined impulse, preventing your (otherwise) perfectly planned sea invasion...
(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Classic screw ups in WIF/MWIF? Well mine start the moment I open the box/click on the 'start game'....

+1 to this one in pretty much all games [X(] not just Wif [:)]
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

Having an "Olde Timers" moment and forgetting to make a move, attack, and etc. that I had planned on the previous turn. [X(]

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

Return to “World in Flames”