FIFTY SHADES OF WiTE: SILLYFLOWER V BRIANG

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

loki100

RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

Part of my former job was to train the junior lawyers who worked for me. I would never tell them the answer to a problem or how to do something they could look up for themselves (unless time was too short) but always how to look at the issue or problem so they could would learn how work it out for themselves. It had the advantage that the brightest ones usually wanted to work for me and the less able did not - which suited me too!

If I'm trying to do anything with the AAR other than to amuse, it's the same sort of thing. I want to help the less experienced or confident player to think about how to do stuff rather than trying to suggest that they try to copy what I do. I can only do that by explaining how I approach issues, not by giving them reams of facts and statistics of the sort you suggest. If anyone wants to learn more about these, they need to play the game and find out for themselves.

I used to do that to junior statisticians ... some never grasped that since I probably both knew the answer and how to get there why I wouldn't simply tell them, or why I'd look at their initial answer and tell them it was wrong even without checking the details.

I for one really appreciate the way you are doing this, its a level of insight into the game from the axis side I've never really mastered. But, I have no desire to copy anyone, its always a case of looking for new understanding filtered through my own ideas so really think you have the balance right

(can I claim my cheque now? [;)])

edit: about that last turn, you've managed to catch quite a lof of his cavalry divisions in the south - has to be good for minimising the impact of his winter counter-attack
Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

I can only hope that my turn 12 will be as productive [X(][X(][X(]
Manstein63
'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

ORIGINAL: loki100

edit: about that last turn, you've managed to catch quite a lof of his cavalry divisions in the south - has to be good for minimising the impact of his winter counter-attack

I'm hoping that it will also damage his defence for this summer too - it's a chunk of units lost. In reality the Russians don't have enough APs until '44 so the effect will last way beyond the winter. The AP crunch has started [:)]

As for the cheque, I will ask Hitman to send mine to you instead. Mind you, it's probably a week's earnings for him. I know he has had a very successful career and gets stellar quality ratings from his patients, but he lives in the middle of nowhere so probably gets paid largely in animal parts and moonshine instead of cash. Below is a picture of him after the successful opening of his new clinic. The first day's takings can be seen in the foreground.

Attachments
hillybilly.jpg
hillybilly.jpg (11.75 KiB) Viewed 27 times
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

T15 just sent back to Brian so here's T13 north

Just clearing out the isolated units, though GM Gordov decided that solidarity with the workers is not all it is cracked up to be, and fled with his key staff rather than sharing the privations of his troops.

I have left the 2 remaining cities. I will get back to them in the snow but my assault forces are needed elsewhere. Fans of the Finns will be pleased to see them start to come down to take up garrison and guard duties.
Attachments
B13naar.jpg
B13naar.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 27 times
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

Centre

I thought it was time to show the middle where not much is happening. He runs and I waddle after him.

The eagle-eyed will notice that there is a russian combat unit at the east end of the Pripyet marshes. It's not moving and I'm not wasting a unit going after it. I will leave it until the snow or possibly later ie when I have a rail line close enough. All the little grey blobs on the west side of the map are construction units busy converting railroads to narrow guage
Attachments
B13middleaar.jpg
B13middleaar.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 27 times
web exchange

timmyab

Post by timmyab »

The combat unit in the marshes is a FZ I think.
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

You must be right. How disappointing.

The push on Moscow continues with 4 inf xx pocketed (they aren't in the way there) and 14 other divs routed so are not going to be in good shape next week. The Northern part of the thrust is supported by Manstein's corps attacking straight off their march from Smolensk In the meantime a pz xxx from 2PzG SW of Kaluga gasses up to head for Tula or to aid the Moscow push. Probably to aid the latter schwerpunkt because they will have a clear path once he pocket is cleared, but it will depend on the strength of the enemy between me and Tula. Having options is always good but concentrating one's attack forces is usually best.

Going to be close race but it doesn't look as if Brian has any fortified defence line to fall back on. Model's corps is refitting en route expected at Vyazma by the end of next week. Model's HQ has just gone past Vitebsk because there were no trains for him. His troops are keen to replicate their success at Leningrad.
Attachments
B13 moscow.jpg
B13 moscow.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 27 times
web exchange

sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

In post 7 above, I set a joke target of T14 for Rostov based on progress continuing as per the first couple of turns.

After having got so close last week, the same motorised division entered Rostov in triumph this week, although it took 4 or 5 attacks to dislodge the motorised division that had moved in to garrison it. Sadly this meant that there were no units left to chase down all those juicy HQs and airbases to the east and north east, or to cut the rail lines to Voroshilovograd. That would have been nice as it still has its factories. So, surprisingly did Rostov [:D].

Makeeva also fell and Axis forces just walked into Kharkov. The light blue Pz xxx from 2PzG holds position W of Stalino and does an HQBU
Attachments
B13saar.jpg
B13saar.jpg (959.68 KiB) Viewed 27 times
web exchange

loki100

Post by loki100 »

really looking like Brian is in deep trouble. Perhaps paying the price for such an aggressive early game defence? Though your steady tempo of advance is putting him under a lot of pressure
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Moscow is what matters as vs smokendave I did same.

If you don't take the crowned jewel its all for a draw, which is great.

The Horde from Mordor rebuilds very quickly.

Great game play on your part, not more then 6 or 7 good German players out their [&o]

Your one of the few, the very few.

1. NON RANDOM WEATHER X

They can have +1
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
ericv

Post by ericv »

You are doing very well indeed, fighting against one of the best, if not the best, remaining SHC players. From what I can gather from Brian's AAR's he hasn't lost yet, but he seems to be in big trouble.

Would like to see you square off against Pelton one way or another, but neither one of you would want to play SHC I imagine.

On a sidenote, are server games protected from memory editing? I read that Pelton only plays Server based games and I reckon that is the reason.
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

Thank you both for your kind words

@ericv - Brian hasn't got an AAR for this game. At least, I can't see it: not that I could look at it anyway.

I'm not sure what memory editing is. I haven't got a clue in fact...............
web exchange

Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

ORIGINAL: ericv

You are doing very well indeed, fighting against one of the best, if not the best, remaining SHC players. From what I can gather from Brian's AAR's he hasn't lost yet, but he seems to be in big trouble.

Would like to see you square off against Pelton one way or another, but neither one of you would want to play SHC I imagine.

Unfortunately I can attest that Monsieur Sillyflower is just as capable (if not better) as the Soviets than he appears to be as the Axis, as he has been repeatedly ruining my evenings for the past year or so. Still its nice to see that he is kicking someone else as it makes my pain a bit more bearable.
Manstein63
'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
ericv

Post by ericv »

sillyflower: I was referring to AAR's in general, in which Brian is one of the players, Brian against Pelton, TDV, etc not of course his game against you. I probably phrased it incorrectly, but there you go. :-)
btw: If memory editing doesn't ring a bell, it's best kept that way.

Manstein63 : Not surprisingly, talent and able-ness usually is not restricted to just playing one side.
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

I just thought you were saying that Brian had posted that he was in big trouble in our game. He isn't against Pelton.
web exchange

sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

Thoughts on T13

losses much better at 7.9K to 142K largely thanks to taking the surrender of 15 divisions, 2 brigades + odds and ends. Soviet losses include nearly 1000 cav squads,mainly due to the destruction of 7 cav xx in the south. German and Rumanian troops of AGC celebrate with massive barbecues.
web exchange

sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

Thoughts on T13

losses much better at 7.9K to 142K but ar a poor 113 v 172, losses largely due to 25 destroyed units inc 7 cav, 6 inf, 1 tk and 1 mot xx + 2 brigades. Following the destruction of those cav xx in the south, German and Rumanian soldiers benefit from extra rations

Historical note: I'm not sure if the Germans and/or Rumanians ate horses except as last resort, but the French regt is not yet on the map. Horseflesh very plentiful around here much to the upset of the real Sillyflower
Attachments
germanbarbecue.jpg
germanbarbecue.jpg (125.3 KiB) Viewed 27 times
web exchange

HITMAN202

Post by HITMAN202 »

But the point to be made is that Sillyflower (AKA David M.) is not only a good German player and possibly an even better Soviet one, but also a raconteur of the highest level as seen in his AAR's. So many of the best WITE are selfish with their skills. That is why I respect Pelton so much. He is not niggardly.

I'm surprised that Sillyflower has recognized both my German royalty (von) and American southern redneck ancestry. The best way to explain it is that I'm German above the neck and redneck elsewhere.
WITE is a good addiction with no cure.
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

You should not be surprised about my recognising both parts of your ancestry. Have you forgotten the redneck test you did on your AAR that is now, sadly, archived?
web exchange

sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

Back to T13

The fall of the 3 cities in the south netted another 16 rail yards, or 8K of soviet rail capacity. He should be down to 109K now which must hurt. He's also lost 48 arms and 36 HI to date. Brian seems to be favouring moving HI over arms. Another 16 arms are locked up in Stalino and Kaluga.

I don't think the loss of HI will hurt the Bolsheviks given the loss of other factories, but more arms would be nice.

Our forces came across the new style tank brigades for the first time. The only one that did not rout on first contact shattered instead. May many more of these appear in the front line.

I'm happy with things but I do not underestimate Brian. Moscow is now the crucial battle before the blizzard, as Pelton has noted. It's still got all its factories and there are 17 arms still in Tula I think.
web exchange

Return to “After Action Reports”