What is your War Gaming Time Allocation by Company?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

invernomuto

RE: What is your War Gaming Time Allocation by Company?

Post by invernomuto »

Right now I am playing WITW and Dominions 4 (from Illwinter not a wargame, bought on Desura), so my wargaming time it's Matrix 100% :)

JWW

Post by JWW »

ORIGINAL: loki100

ORIGINAL: DonCzirr

Original interest for the poll is at the Publisher level.

I do have some interest as to whether folks are sticking to just one publisher since they like and trust them or - do they still shop around and see what the competition has to offer?

This would not be a criticism - just an item I am curious about.

at the moment I'd say about 30% AGEOD, 60% games published by Matrix - mostly WiTE/WiTW (as I am doing a lot PBEM), but also BaB, Pike and Shot and Red Storm, balance is on Endless Legends - a 4x game that has genuinely innovative features, looks great and is just fun to play.

I guess I am relatively conservative in that if I have sorted out a game system in my mind I'm more likely to buy another game based on the same core. Just means less time wrestling with new concepts before getting on to enjoying the game play

Now I've gone and bought Endless Legend based on your mention here. It is your fault. I had never heard of it and usually stick solely to Matrix and AGEOD games. I would think my game library is 70% Matrix, 20% AGEOD, and 10% other, the other being Paradox, Gal Civ, and now Endless Legend. Based on what I've read and viewed on line, Endless Legend looks like it will be very interesting.
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

Endless Legend is (IMO), an amazing gaming experience.

The map layout and effects from the buildings make it feel alien and mystical.

My first and only campaign is as the "Vaulters" and their main story arc / central quest line is a deep tale of fallen science rather than pure fantasy.

When I break away temporarily from JTS / Matrix / Battlefront war gaming, it is one of my top picks.

AOW III is good too - but for different reasons - tactical combat is a ton of fun there and the Necromancer campaign is very atmospheric.

That's all I'll say about 4x games for the moment as I am determined to crush the 3rd Ukrainian Front in 1945 before I get sucked back into the multi-verse ;)
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
redcoat

Post by redcoat »

I have never heard of Endless Legend before. I will have to check it out.

Slitherine/Matrix/AGEOD games account for around 80% of my wargaming time at the moment. Pike & Shot Campaigns is currently my favourite game. I also recently purchased CMANO. My main non-Slitherine/Matrix/AGEOD wargame is WinSPMBT.
“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

AOW III can be brutal though. I once played many many hours building up my force. (Turtling) and this one rogue nation in one turn comes in and takes my capital where I had the best troops of my nation parked. It was a massacre. It brought these shadow things that I couldn't hardly touch and they would freeze my units and these mind controlling biatches that stole my own troops from me. Every turn. There's no way to beat that kind of programming. The females stayed far enough away not to be in any kind of range to them and if I tried to get closer they would just charm my unit and that was that.

AOW III is a game that lures you into thinking you are safe and then in one fell swoop crush your defenses and take everything you got. The only real way I see to play it now is "grunt rush everybody" and leave the easiest faction you know you can beat for last.

I had another game where I allied with the elven guy and we were doing awesome across the map and then without a moments notice he turned on me just as we were about to win total victory as an alliance. That ain't fun when that happens and it has 2/3rds ownership of the map.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

AOW III can be brutal though. I once played many many hours building up my force. (Turtling) and this one rogue nation in one turn comes in and takes my capital where I had the best troops of my nation parked. It was a massacre. It brought these shadow things that I couldn't hardly touch and they would freeze my units and these mind controlling biatches that stole my own troops from me. Every turn. There's no way to beat that kind of programming. The females stayed far enough away not to be in any kind of range to them and if I tried to get closer they would just charm my unit and that was that.

AOW III is a game that lures you into thinking you are safe and then in one fell swoop crush your defenses and take everything you got. The only real way I see to play it now is "grunt rush everybody" and leave the easiest faction you know you can beat for last.

I had another game where I allied with the elven guy and we were doing awesome across the map and then without a moments notice he turned on me just as we were about to win total victory as an alliance. That ain't fun when that happens and it has 2/3rds ownership of the map.

Sounds like a great challenge, re-think the strategy try another tactics...that's half the fun. Wasn't it you that commented on "Tharsis" and I quote you, "They are saying in the reviews that the game is overwhelmingly unbalanced for the number of dice you get vs all the problems you have to deal with per turn. Many of them like the concept but just don't like the balance. They can't win first time everytime and that turns a lot of players off in this "trophy for participation/coming in last" era we live in."
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: JW

ORIGINAL: loki100

ORIGINAL: DonCzirr

Original interest for the poll is at the Publisher level.

I do have some interest as to whether folks are sticking to just one publisher since they like and trust them or - do they still shop around and see what the competition has to offer?

This would not be a criticism - just an item I am curious about.

at the moment I'd say about 30% AGEOD, 60% games published by Matrix - mostly WiTE/WiTW (as I am doing a lot PBEM), but also BaB, Pike and Shot and Red Storm, balance is on Endless Legends - a 4x game that has genuinely innovative features, looks great and is just fun to play.

I guess I am relatively conservative in that if I have sorted out a game system in my mind I'm more likely to buy another game based on the same core. Just means less time wrestling with new concepts before getting on to enjoying the game play

Now I've gone and bought Endless Legend based on your mention here. It is your fault. I had never heard of it and usually stick solely to Matrix and AGEOD games. I would think my game library is 70% Matrix, 20% AGEOD, and 10% other, the other being Paradox, Gal Civ, and now Endless Legend. Based on what I've read and viewed on line, Endless Legend looks like it will be very interesting.

sorry about that [8D]

It has so many near unique features - I really like the one city per province concept as that really shifts game play. And the factions are really different, I've been recently have a hoot with the sado-masochist bunch ... one of their unit types gains strength if it is hurt in battle (as clearly pain is good for you)
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Multi-man and Ventonuovo Games...All most 100% board games. Even though I have plenty of Matrix titles.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
invernomuto

Post by invernomuto »

Guys, if you're in Fantasy 4X games I strongly suggest to you to take a look to Illwinter's Dominions 4.
It's an indie game and it has graphics directly from 20th century PC gaming, but it has a very solid and deep gameplay.
It's the "WITP" of fantasy 4X :)

Return to “General Discussion”