Axis Rush in Sicily

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

coomber12

Axis Rush in Sicily

Post by coomber12 »

Hi, all. I have encountered not necessarily a problem but a frustration whenever I invade Sicily
as the allies(it does not matter what scenario)The Axis as soon as I land immediately make a
withdrawal to escape through Messina often abandoning Catania in the process. Through scanning these
forums I have seen people post instances of the Axis withdrawing to the Etna Line but this goes
further. They ALWAYS run for Messina avoiding a battle, and I cannot catch up to them early
enough to have a chance of blocking their escape.

Any Help or thoughts about this would be appreciated

Thanks
RedLancer

RE: Axis Rush in Sicily

Post by RedLancer »

What difficulty are you playing? The AI will fight better on Challenging or Custom (100 vs 110) as it plays a numbers game.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

ORIGINAL: coomber12

Hi, all. I have encountered not necessarily a problem but a frustration whenever I invade Sicily
as the allies(it does not matter what scenario)The Axis as soon as I land immediately make a
withdrawal to escape through Messina often abandoning Catania in the process. Through scanning these
forums I have seen people post instances of the Axis withdrawing to the Etna Line but this goes
further. They ALWAYS run for Messina avoiding a battle, and I cannot catch up to them early

Thanks
There is also the issue that what they are doing is the best tactic. You wont ever catch a player either...
I have a cunning plan, My Lord
Dobey455

Post by Dobey455 »

ORIGINAL: coomber12

Thanks

To be honest, that sounds perfect.
If the German is willing to hand over territory without a fight then that's a big win for the Allies.

If they stand and fight then it just means that you loose men, equipment and, most importantly, points for the same territory that you are getting "for free" in this instance.

If you want to hurt them then drop as much interdiction as possible between their current positions and Messina and let your airpower do the damage.
dereck

Post by dereck »

I only play the AI but I have a strategy different than what they historically did.

I keep the US invasion beaches the same but I have the BR XXX Corps invading NORTH Sicily 20 miles west of Messina and the rest of the British invading just south of Catania. The XXX Corps can usually get across the peninsula and trap the Germans and Italians in Sicily (leaving them without supplies).

The British landing in the Catania area main objective is to link up with XXX Corps while the US go for Palermo.

I've tried this strategy 3 times and once the German AI came out of Messina and I was able to slip in without a fight. All the Axis troops I trapped and after waiting a turn after having them cut off they all ended up surrendering. The other two games the Germans stayed in Messina and I had to fight for it (though I may have a new strategy to take that into account).
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
coomber12

Post by coomber12 »

Im playing on normal difficulty. Although it sounds perfect for them withdrawing without a fight, usually I end up facing intact German Divisions in Italy which makes it harder for me.

I like the look of your strategy though dereck I think I shall have a go at that.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

ORIGINAL: dereck

I only play the AI but I have a strategy different than what they historically did.

I keep the US invasion beaches the same but I have the BR XXX Corps invading NORTH Sicily 20 miles west of Messina and the rest of the British invading just south of Catania. The XXX Corps can usually get across the peninsula and trap the Germans and Italians in Sicily (leaving them without supplies).

The British landing in the Catania area main objective is to link up with XXX Corps while the US go for Palermo.

I've tried this strategy 3 times and once the German AI came out of Messina and I was able to slip in without a fight. All the Axis troops I trapped and after waiting a turn after having them cut off they all ended up surrendering. The other two games the Germans stayed in Messina and I had to fight for it (though I may have a new strategy to take that into account).

I have only played the scenario one time and I have already thought if that was possible. I see that it is. Kudos.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”