Mercy Street Civil War Era Drama

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Capt. Harlock

Mercy Street Civil War Era Drama

Post by Capt. Harlock »

The new series "Mercy Street" premiered on PBS last night. (Rumor is that it was developed to fill the gap left by the ending of "Downton Abbey".) The good news is that, from what I can see so far, it is excellently done. The historical background is accurate and well-detailed (James McPherson, possibly the greatest living ACW historian, was hired as a consultant), the acting is top quality, and the writing and characters draw in the viewer nicely. The bad news is that there is unlikely to be any battle scenes; this is a drama set in a hospital in Union-occupied Alexandria, Virginia. The Union overran the city in late May 1861 (leading to the first combat death of a Union officer) and the Confederates never re-took it.

For those who want to see muskets and black powder smoke, my suggestion is the new version of "War and Peace". (Though I admit I haven't seen anything of it yet.)
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

Return to “General Discussion”