Drive on Smolensk scenario

The Community Project is a free wargame construction set to existing owners of DC: Barbarossa

Moderators: Vic, lancer

elmo3

Drive on Smolensk scenario

Post by elmo3 »

Version 1 of my Drive on Smolensk scenario has been uploaded to the Community Project Scenario Bank. You can find it here: http://www.advancedtactics.org/scenariobank.php

Please feel free to post any comments or questions here. I plan to update the scenario as needed and any constructive feedback is appreciated.

Overview:

Axis forces unleashed Operation Barbarossa on 22 June 1941 when they invaded the Soviet Union. During the first seventeen days of fighting Fedor von Bock's Army Group Center (AGC) advanced 600 kilometers eastward while inflicting over 300K casualties on Semyon Timoshenko's Western Front forces. In addition Western Front lost over 4000 tanks, 9000 mortars and guns, and over 1500 aircraft. Hitler and many in the German High Command thought the campaign was already won. However German planners seriously underestimated both the size of Soviet forces and the logistical problems associated with the vast expanse of the Soviet Union. Those mistakes started to become apparent during the fight for Smolensk.

The scenario begins on 10 July 1941 when AGC reaches the Dnepr and Western Dvina Rivers and starts their exploitation eastward toward Smolensk. It ends on 15 August 1941. Turns are one day and each hex is 5km. See the designers notes and OOB file included with the scenario for more details.

Steps to install and play the scenario:

1. Download and install the DC Community Project (DCCP) software from here: www.advancedtactics.org You need to make an account and register to do it. You also need to own DC Barbarossa.

2. Download the scenario from here: http://www.advancedtactics.org/scenariobank.php

3. Run the DCCP program and click on Import Zip. Unzip the scenario file.

4. Click on Load Scenario. Double click the Smolensk directory and double click the most recent DriveOnSmolensk.dcx file.

5. Use whatever settings you want and click Start to play.

Edit - Version 1.01 is now up at the Scenario Bank. A minor update to assign the 86th NKVD Border Regiment to Western Front HQ and update the OOB file.

Edit - Version 1.02 is now up at the Scenario Bank. Added the scenario description to the startup page. Fixed the German engineer graphics with a big help from ernieschwitz. Thanks!
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Vic

RE: Drive on Smolensk scenario

Post by Vic »

Hi Elmo,

Congratulations being the first to have created and uploaded a Community Project scenario!

It installs (by dczip) without hickups and plays just fine.

I'll look into adding an option to make the AI more aware of the very high movement capabilities in this scenario as well as an option for the designer to create some more friction (more AP cost to enter enemy terrain).

Best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Big congrats on making the first scenario :)
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Thanks. Not exactly sure where people need to unzip it to play it? Does it go in their Barbarossa directory and get launched via the Barbarossa scenario screen?
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

Hi, thanks for your work.

I have the same doubt. I have downloaded the dczip file, and then imported it via the "import zip" button in DC:B opening menu. It did it's thing, apparently successfuly, but I am unable to find the scenario file.
Inside the subfolder "communityscenarios" there is a Smolensk subfolder, but no dc3 scenario to be loaded.

Maybe this is only playable via the community project program ??

Regards
Former AJE team member
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Vic said Community Project scenarios would only be playable by Barbarossa owners. Will wait to hear from him on this.

WitE alpha/beta tester
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

Hi again

As the scenario file is .dcx instead of .dc3, I would say it is only possible to open it in the DC:X program...

Regards
Former AJE team member
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

The reason why it is only available to DC3 owners, is because DCX is only available to DC3 owners. I think thats it anyway... I think it should be played via the DCX program.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
nikdav

Post by nikdav »

Hi Elmo,
Congratulations for the first community scenario !
All seem working well !

elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Thanks. Hope you find it fun.

WitE alpha/beta tester
Vic

Post by Vic »

I understand it might be confusing beause DC:Community Project can only be aquired (for free) by DC:Barbarossa owners at the moment.

But the DC: Community Project is a SEPERATE game in the DC series.

Once it leaves beta we'll make it available to owners of other DC games as well. Past and future.

Best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
GBS

Post by GBS »

Im not following this thread. I'm a Barbarossa owner. Is this currently playable? If so, what file is it to be extracted too? Is it a separate game that is part of a Community Project which is not yet available. I'm slow, very confusing. [&:]
"It is well War is so terrible lest we grow fond of it." -
R. E. Lee

"War..god help me, I love it so." - G. Patton
Vic

Post by Vic »

I can imagine it is a bit confusing. The Community Project IS NOT Barbarossa. It is a seperate game.

Check out the main thread on how to download the Community Project and update with latest patch the DC:Community Project over here:
tm.asp?m=3982558&mpage=1&key=&#3982558

best wishes,
Vic
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

So, does this mean that in practice no community-made scenarios will ever exist for DC:B ?

Regards
Former AJE team member
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

No, this means that if you are going to make a scenario for DC:B you should code it in the DC:B editor.

It makes sense to me that the program used to make the scenario, is the one you play it in. DC:Community Project is nothing more, nor less than a stand alone game, that looks an awful lot like the DC-series... because it is part of it.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
governato

Post by governato »

this was confusing, very confusing :). But this is how it works.

- One designs a scenario using the DC:CP program (go Elmo3!)
- you (dear DCB owner) 1) download and install DC:CP
2) download/beg/borrow/steal the scenario as a zipped file
- then you play it 1) opening the zip file with the DC:CP program (select 'import zip' and point it to the file you downloaded
2) then select 'load game'

voila'.

I know this seems simple now, but it was not obvious to me at all!
governato

Post by governato »

Btw a similar scenario exists in TOAWIII (designed by HPT Kunz who did a whole series connected to AGC in Summer 41). Excited to see how this will compare and play. Looks really good!

Question: does the current editor allow a sequence of operational events as DC:B? How flexible is the event structure?
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Hope you like the scenario. I also made a Smolensk scenario years ago for another game, and it's been so long I can't even remember what game it was! There are no sequential events in my scenario. Vic will have to answer on how, or if, they work in the editor.

WitE alpha/beta tester
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I had this all wrong too.

So is this right:

Design DC:CP games in DC:CP and play in DC:CP

Edit DC3 scenario's in DC3 and play in DC:3

Two totally separate games

DC:CP is free for DC3 owners

Question. Is the DC:CP engine identical to DC3?
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

That is correct regarding the differences. To answer the question; no the engine is not identical to DC3. It's much more like DC2 (Case Blue) with air units and arty on the map and airfields added instead of basing air units in towns. I'm sure there are other differences but those just came to mind.

WitE alpha/beta tester

Return to “Scenario Design with the Community Project”