Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm has been updated to Version 2.0.10!

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

pzgndr

RE: Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm has been updated to Version 2.0.10!

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: Daniele
Enhanced
• Command Cycle Calculation Rebalanced
• HQ Ranges Increased
• Smoke Mission Changes
• Performance Improvements
• Posture Changes Take Time to Implement
• Scooting for Resupply and Recon Units

FWIW, I tried playing Tanks for the Memories scenario in Reforged a couple times this past week. I know this has been a long-running issue ever since release, but posture changes and move orders taking time to implement continue to annoy me. Specifically, combat units given a screen posture are still staying decisively engaged longer than I would expect them to. And even when I give them a move order to disengage they still seem to remain in place for a command cycle or longer (eg, 20-40 minutes or more). It's just annoying as heck to watch these screening platoons take continual fire and unnecessary losses before they disengage.

A direct order to move from a screen posture should not take as long as it does to execute. I'll grit my teeth about the default scoot routines for various unit types and postures, but just wondering if anything regarding this is being considered for the 2.0.11 update? Thanks.

Another comment about this scenario, and some others. I understand it was designed to get right into the action, but having a full Soviet battalion appear within the first command cycle totally disregards any possible recon/counter-recon action before getting into a decisive engagement. A modest request for Southern Storm scenario development would be to have more time/space included for recon activities. Doctrinally the Soviets would lead with a combat recon patrol/platoon and then a company before the lead battalion. So just a thought.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

Another comment about this scenario, and some others. I understand it was designed to get right into the action, but having a full Soviet battalion appear within the first command cycle totally disregards any possible recon/counter-recon action before getting into a decisive engagement. A modest request for Southern Storm scenario development would be to have more time/space included for recon activities. Doctrinally the Soviets would lead with a combat recon patrol/platoon and then a company before the lead battalion. So just a thought.

The Reforged scenarios are a rework of the originals. As such they were pretty much set as to how they play.

New scenarios will look like those you got with the game originally and that we've added as free content as we've gone forward. Larger maps will also add more scenarios that play closer to what you are seeing in "Early Tuesday Morning".

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

Thanks guys, been waiting for this, ive been playing the steam and iron campaign to get my strategy fix in the meantime :-)
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Bump.  Still curious if there are any changes in the next update regarding time to implement posture changes?

Regarding new scenarios looking like what we got originally, one of the reasons I made the comment I did was to encourage development of some scenarios that are more doctrinally accurate for 1980s Soviet movement to contact which would provide more time/space for recon/counter-recon activities and development of the situation.  Perhaps others with more savvy with this editor and time on their hands will consider doing this.  Just a modest request...
Bill Macon
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Right now all the effort in the 11beta update has been focused on the bugs keeping folks from playing since the 10 update. As far as I know, I am not aware of a bug in this area. We did fix the instant dig in from hold and added a basic delay in changing out of a posture when an order is issued.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

Stimpak, When you redo a database I would rename the file so that it doesn't get overwritten in an update. I have done a few databases myself and have a unique name for each one I have done.
Charles Belva
Stimpak

Post by Stimpak »

I've backed them up to a separate hard drive already. Thanks for the warning.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin
As far as I know, I am not aware of a bug in this area.

I'm not saying there is a bug. It's just that whatever change was made in 2.0.10 for "Posture Changes Take Time to Implement" seems a bit too much, especially for units in screen posture that should be ready to move. I have played some of the v2.0.11 beta and it's still annoying. All I'm saying is if this posture change delay parameter(s) could be reconsidered in v2.0.11 to be less sticky then that would be good.
Bill Macon
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

I'll check with Rob and see if we can do something with it. I'm not familiar with that area of the code. [8D]
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

As far as I know, I am not aware of a bug in this area.

I'm not saying there is a bug. It's just that whatever change was made in 2.0.10 for "Posture Changes Take Time to Implement" seems a bit too much, especially for units in screen posture that should be ready to move. I have played some of the v2.0.11 beta and it's still annoying. All I'm saying is if this posture change delay parameter(s) could be reconsidered in v2.0.11 to be less sticky then that would be good.

Until we get a unit stance, and an ability to adjust just how much screen time you want, any changes we make now will just be moving the pendulum along the arc. No matter where we put it there will be someone that doesn't think it's in the right spot. This is in the top 5 priorities for the 2.1 features.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

I'll check with Rob and see if we can do something with it.

Thank you.
Bill Macon

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”