First person shooters then and now

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Kuokkanen

First person shooters then and now

Post by Kuokkanen »

This video raises a point about first person shooters that were and what they are now. I have to admit, he has a point. To sum it up: older FPS games were mazes with hidden secrets and locked doors; new games move on tracks. That apply for most of the (single player) FPS games, not for Operation Flashpoint, Armed Assault and Unreal Tournament.

I have played FPS games from each category. Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, and Shadow Warrior were fun games. And then came Call of Duty, Halo, and Doom 3. Difference is clear. Project IGI and Chrome are excellent games on their own rights: I liked sneaking around in the grass, climb up to lookout towers, and snipe stuff. Operation Flashpoint feels like real damn war with teammates and all. I hope everyone here knows it or Armed Assault at least by name. If not, go look up those on YouTube.

But what about games like Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Halo, and Doom 3? In first 2 Dooms there wasn't clear direction where to go. Player had to wander around and hit the fire button until he came across locked door, then had to go back to look for key cards. Doom 2 even has vast open spaces, part of a town with streets and buildings and the likes. Comes Doom 3, and it is mostly just corridors and small rooms. And there aren't many different ways to go. Enemies are tougher, point for that (I think). Same applies to Halo franchise, though corridors on it are wide and rooms are large. Both enough so to drive with a tank around them. Fun on its own right when done right. Newest Doom under work seems to be part on this, and I hope they get it right. Call of Duty (the first anyway) didn't get it right for me, but marketing department managed to make it sell.

What are your opinions about the matter?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
aaatoysandmore

RE: First person shooters then and now

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I haven't found a single FPS I liked then or now. The closest game I can stomach is Mount and Blade Warband and that isn't a shooter though it plays like one.

Are there any of them where "friendly fire" doesn't hurt you? That's a big reason I don't play them. especially online. Little kids think it's funny to go around shooting their own teammates. Maybe older people also with kids minds.
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

I liked sneaking around in the grass, climb up to lookout towers, and snipe stuff. Operation Flashpoint feels like real damn war with teammates and all. I hope everyone here knows it or Armed Assault at least by name. If not, go look up those on YouTube.

I’ve dusted off my copy of the original “Far Cry” and have been playing it for several days
While my WITPAE opponent has been away.

The AI enemy mercenaries are the best I’ve ever seen in a FPS.

With a real good computer and graphics card the jungle at max is a near religious experience.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/far-cr ... 0-6420000/

I recommend the FCAM mod:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/13520/dis ... 148392846/

Attachments
Far_Cry.jpg
Far_Cry.jpg (116.38 KiB) Viewed 411 times
"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I play a lot of hours with fps games. I have them all and I must have logged hours on Battlefield 1, 2, and 4. The Hardcore servers on B4 require that you don't aim at your teammates. For the most part, most players use these games for the multiplayer perspective. The single player is at times a waste. However, it all depends on the developer.

Far Cry was great, excellent AI. I played a little of version 3.

I still love Battlefield 4 and Panzer Korps
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

I’ve dusted off my copy of the original “Far Cry” and have been playing it for several days

With a real good computer and graphics card the jungle at max is a near religious experience.

Far Cry and the CryEngine really put FPS on the gaming map! 16 years later this game is still a blast to play and the AI is quite good! [:)]

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
jamus34

Post by jamus34 »

ORIGINAL: wings7

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

Far Cry and the CryEngine really put FPS on the gaming map! 16 years later this game is still a blast to play and the AI is quite good! [:)]

Patrick
Agreed. One of the early sequences where you highjack a buggy to make a run for it and they have a PT boat sitting there shelling you was great.

I think the first FC is what got FPS gaming out of the rut back then. Unfortunately it lead to the downfall of one of my favorite genres (space shooters) Freespace 2 to this day is one of my top 5 games and #1 space shooter, even if the graphics are looking dated.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: jamus34

I think the first FC is what got FPS gaming out of the rut back then. Unfortunately it lead to the downfall of one of my favorite genres (space shooters) Freespace 2 to this day is one of my top 5 games and #1 space shooter, even if the graphics are looking dated.

Freespace is a great game! There are still alot Space Shooters (and 4X) on Steam! [:)]

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
invernomuto

Post by invernomuto »

The only FPS I tried recently are Arma3 and Red Orchestra 2 (+ Pacific Expansion). They're simulation of real war, with realistic ballistic and accurate wounds modelling (player has no "energy", usually is one shot one kill) and expecially for Red Orchestra 2, they're damned fun.

chemkid

Post by chemkid »

wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: invernomuto

The only FPS I tried recently are Arma3 and Red Orchestra 2 (+ Pacific Expansion). They're simulation of real war, with realistic ballistic and accurate wounds modelling (player has no "energy", usually is one shot one kill) and expecially for Red Orchestra 2, they're damned fun.

Indeed Davide, both of them are excellent! And with a long play life! [:)]

Patrick
invernomuto

Post by invernomuto »

ORIGINAL: chemkid

do ARMA and RO(2) count as FPS?! i mean S = Shooter?! ARMA is advertised as 'Infantry Simulator' and RO feels very much the same. IMHO, if these two count as FPS i'd like to say RO is great stuff but as far as video'games' go these are no 'games' anymore! [8|]

From a technical point of view they're not so "different" from Call of Duty, expecially Red Orchestra. You have a single player campaign and some multiplayer map with different objectives (depending on the mission) to acheive before the time stop (usually, half an hour).
The differences are in the "realism" setting that can be very frustrating at the beginning. Usually you learn the hard way how to spot enemies from building windows in Red Orchestra if there are enemy snipers nearby :)

Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

do ARMA and RO(2) count as FPS?! i mean S = Shooter?! ARMA is advertised as 'Infantry Simulator' and RO feels very much the same. IMHO, if these two count as FPS i'd like to say RO is great stuff but as far as video'games' go these are no 'games' anymore! [8|]
Could same argument be said about WitP & sequels? What about flight sims like Microsoft Flight Simulator, Falcon 4, and IL-2 Sturmovik?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
wings7

Post by wings7 »

Could same argument be said about WitP & sequels? What about flight sims like Microsoft Flight Simulator, Falcon 4, and IL-2 Sturmovik?

I think they all have FPS elements to them, some more than others...all terrific games! [:)]
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

This video raises a point about first person shooters that were and what they are now. I have to admit, he has a point. To sum it up: older FPS games were mazes with hidden secrets and locked doors; new games move on tracks. That apply for most of the (single player) FPS games, not for Operation Flashpoint, Armed Assault and Unreal Tournament.

I have played FPS games from each category. Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, and Shadow Warrior were fun games. And then came Call of Duty, Halo, and Doom 3. Difference is clear. Project IGI and Chrome are excellent games on their own rights: I liked sneaking around in the grass, climb up to lookout towers, and snipe stuff. Operation Flashpoint feels like real damn war with teammates and all. I hope everyone here knows it or Armed Assault at least by name. If not, go look up those on YouTube.

But what about games like Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Halo, and Doom 3? In first 2 Dooms there wasn't clear direction where to go. Player had to wander around and hit the fire button until he came across locked door, then had to go back to look for key cards. Doom 2 even has vast open spaces, part of a town with streets and buildings and the likes. Comes Doom 3, and it is mostly just corridors and small rooms. And there aren't many different ways to go. Enemies are tougher, point for that (I think). Same applies to Halo franchise, though corridors on it are wide and rooms are large. Both enough so to drive with a tank around them. Fun on its own right when done right. Newest Doom under work seems to be part on this, and I hope they get it right. Call of Duty (the first anyway) didn't get it right for me, but marketing department managed to make it sell.

What are your opinions about the matter?

I guess saying we like FPS might be an anathema on these forums [:D]

The evolution of this genre is clear: from mazes to an "open", utter realistic world.

I played Wolfenstein, Doom and Doom 2 in the 90s. I loved them, especially Doom 2. Then in the 2000s a big surprise: the first Stalker! No mazes anymore, a "real", oneiric world with amazing graphics, sounds and atmosphere. And of course the hilarious Left 4 Dead [8D]

Now I plan to get me a proper gaming computer. I never paid attention to video cards, always had low or standard quality and you need High quality to play the most demanding FPS
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

I haven't found a single FPS I liked then or now.

Attachments
wayne.jpg
wayne.jpg (94.42 KiB) Viewed 413 times
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

The evolution of this genre is clear: from mazes to an "open", utter realistic world.

I played Wolfenstein, Doom and Doom 2 in the 90s. I loved them, especially Doom 2. Then in the 2000s a big surprise: the first Stalker! No mazes anymore, a "real", oneiric world with amazing graphics, sounds and atmosphere. And of course the hilarious Left 4 Dead [8D]

Now I plan to get me a proper gaming computer. I never paid attention to video cards, always had low or standard quality and you need High quality to play the most demanding FPS

I think there are many closet FPS gamers here...it's time to come out of the closet! [:)] You can be a Strategy/Wargamer and a FPS gamer also! [8D] (I like alot of different game genre's, the key is quality and play ability for me) I too am purchasing more of a proper gaming computer in the near future! [:)]

Patrick
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

@bairdlander
That's off-topic. Please don't troll.
budd

Post by budd »

I've been an FPS'er since way back. Came from 3rd person adventure games, you know the quest series. Once i loaded up that wolfenstein shareware disk from what ever that magazine was i was hooked. Played every FPS i could get my hands on back then, it just seemed awesome. Played FPS before i even knew about computer wargames. Did a bit of multiplayer FPS back in the day with clans with Quake, TFC and DOD, wasn't easy on dialup. Don't do much of the multiplayer FPS these days for various reasons, the knuckleheadedness of online players is one and the time commitment is another. You have to spend a bit of time with a game to get up to snuff. It can be a rewarding game experience with a bunch of like minded players. I have a new computer so i can catch up on some FPS goodness i missed, there's quite a few in my steam backlog i've been waiting to play, Rage, stalker series, newer Farcry's. I put the open world FPS's in a different category, there just a different mood for me. Nothing like a well done FPS on rails with a good environment and a bit of tactical choice in your approach, plus they actually end. I'm not talking DOOM 3 on rails type, i still haven't finished that one. Some of my favorites from days gone past are Halflife, F.E.A.R., Farcry, Call of Juarez, Serious Sam and of course all the really oldies i.e Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem, Heretic, Blood, Decent, probably a lot more i'm forgetting. One thing that didn't bother me back then but drives me to rage quit some FPS now is the old lock you in a room with a bunch of bad guys/things and you ain't getting out until everything is dead, O did i forget to mention you'll be low health and not have much ammo. the control the difficulty through keeping you low on health and without ammo is something i'm not a big fan of these days, not too mention a checkpoint system.I'll usually have one FPS going as a change of pace to my wargaming, currently playing Extraction point a DLC to the original F.E.A.R. Nothing closet about my enjoyment of FPS games, I'll play whatever is fun for me.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

ORIGINAL: wings7

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

I think there are many closet FPS gamers here...it's time to come out of the closet! [:)] You can be a Strategy/Wargamer and a FPS gamer also! [8D] (I like alot of different game genre's, the key is quality and play ability for me) I too am purchasing more of a proper gaming computer in the near future! [:)]

Patrick

I love many FPS games and I am very open about it. To me they are like a story. And you "read" through it at your pace.

I bought The most recent Wolfenstein game on sale at Steam (How did I miss these games?) and loved it immensely. Frustrating at times, but very fun.

Call of Duty 1 and 2 loved them. The more modern ones - they are OK, but I still like the WW2 ones the best.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

Return to “General Discussion”