Mining Bridges

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

Deathtreader

Mining Bridges

Post by Deathtreader »

Hi all,

I'm not at home to check this out in the game myself, but is it possible to mine bridges?? Either with scenario emplaced mines or with those fired by arty?

If so shouldn't those explosions also take down the bridge or at least render it unusable?

If not, then would the idea be a candidate for Southern Storm??

Just a thought..

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
CapnDarwin

RE: Mining Bridges

Post by CapnDarwin »

I'm pretty sure you can mine the bridge, but I'll check as well. Mines taking out a bridge, not likely.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Stimpak

Post by Stimpak »

I have used it as a strategy before and it is extremely efficient, and will not destroy the bridge.

Set up in locations where you have units overlooking the bridge, preferably not exposed to other terrain, mine the bridge, then abuse that 0% cover as much as you can.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

If you place the mines next to a bridge using FASCAM the Soviets will not use it.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

Hi,

Thanks for the responses guys! It's all good to know and facilitates better play.

Speaking of FASCAM.............

I can understand why the opposing sides can see where each others minelets are dropped when the target hex is under observation in some fashion, but when the target hex is in no way currently viewable by the opposing side (say many miles away etc. in the prep for a new line of defence for example)why does the opponent get to see that FASCAM shoot/placement?? Not complaining, just asking.

Thanks.

Rob.
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

That's the way it works currently. A lot of the mechanics will get a face lift in the 2.1 version.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
JWNoctis

Post by JWNoctis »

Might be possible to think some of them as abstracted counter-battery radar seeing them. There are few other reasons to drop rounds behind own line and presumably on some choke point.

Probably still won't sound all that good - Can't imagine artillery rounds having too much of a radar cross-section.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Looking for shells in flight is what counter battery radars do.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”