Paradrops

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderator: MOD_WarintheWest

Harrybanana

Paradrops

Post by Harrybanana »

There is still a lot I don't know about paradrops including:

1. What units can be attached to an airborne division prior to drop? I was pretty sure that engineer battalions could be attached. But recently when I tried this the computer said that I had illegal units attached. I know that airborne battalions can be attached, but what else?

2. If landing in an enemy occupied hex there will obviously be a battle. In this case the airborne units commanding HQ will be important. So is it better for the Airborne unit to be within 5 hexes of it's commanding HQ at its base hex or to have it's commanding HQ within 5 hexes of the target hex? I assume it is probably the latter, but if the drop hex is far from the Airborne units base it is often difficult or impossible to attach it to an HQ that is within 5 hexes of the target hex.

3. Do weather or ground conditions have any effect? I recently dropped an airborne division that started at a "Heavy Mud" base into an enemy occupied Light Mud hex. the weather in both hexes was rain. Did any of this have any effect?
Robert Harris
RedLancer

RE: Paradrops

Post by RedLancer »

1. I think it's only airborne battalions.

2. Yes but don't forget that Airborne, Para or Air-Landing Units attached to an HQ containing the name Airborne or Fallschirm are considered 1 hex from their HQ and all higher level HQs in the chain when completing leader checks. So attach Units to an Airborne HQ when conducting drops.

3. Weather may impact on the aircraft effectiveness and ground conditions on the combat when you land but I don't think that there is an impact of either on the drop like ground type does.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

2. Yes but don't forget that Airborne, Para or Air-Landing Units attached to an HQ containing the name Airborne or Fallschirm are considered 1 hex from their HQ and all higher level HQs in the chain when completing leader checks.

I had no idea that was the case.......and I was just using those like normal Corps HQs.
szmike

Post by szmike »

There's no airborne allied HQ until 1944 anyway.
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

2. Yes but don't forget that Airborne, Para or Air-Landing Units attached to an HQ containing the name Airborne or Fallschirm are considered 1 hex from their HQ and all higher level HQs in the chain when completing leader checks.

I had no idea that was the case.......and I was just using those like normal Corps HQs.

I did not know this either QBall. Guess it is time for me to dust off the Rule Book and read it from cover to cover. I've tried this a couple times before, but either someone will send me a turn (and playing is more fun than reading) or else I would fall asleep.
Robert Harris
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

It has to be on an airfield for it to work that way I believe. And it wont throw support units.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

3. Do weather or ground conditions have any effect? I recently dropped an airborne division that started at a "Heavy Mud" base into an enemy occupied Light Mud hex. the weather in both hexes was rain. Did any of this have any effect?

15.7 has many more details, but there is additional weather attrition for an air drop beyond bad weather causing more aircraft to turn back.
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck

Return to “The War Room”