Russia active

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

traskott

Russia active

Post by traskott »

I'm playing a game and Rusia is active and at war since Dec 7. I have two questions:

1) Will the supply produced at URSS flow to China? Specially from off-map bases to the chinese ones where the CAF are based...

2) The russian A.F. can keep the fight with IAAF or should be retreated to rearfront to train and stock replacements?

Thank you !!

BBfanboy

RE: Russia active

Post by BBfanboy »

I do not know if supply flows from Russia to China. The only indication I have is that Chungking's supply seems to be the same whether Russia is activated or not.

The Russian aircraft do not have good performance ratings against IJAF fighters, except maybe Nates and Claudes. The Russian pilots need lots of training too. But if Japan is sending attacks into Russia you cannot completely withdraw your air force. Put them in large bases so their numbers can count. When not on operational duty have them training.

Russian pilot pools are very shallow. Avoid risky attacks and use your bombers over your own bases if you can.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
traskott

Post by traskott »

Thanks [:)]. Will stockpile fighters at Vladivostock and a couple of big bases, and the bombers to URSS for training.
Ambassador

Post by Ambassador »

Can you base other Allied air groups in Soviet bases when they're active ? They're dangerously close to Japan's mainland...
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Yes, you can. Or at least, you could back in WitP days. During my game with Miller - probably in 2008 or so - he attacked Russia. I then based US aircraft there.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

Can you base other Allied air groups in Soviet bases when they're active ? They're dangerously close to Japan's mainland...

You cannot transfer Allied non-Soviet air units to a Soviet base.

Alfred
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Alfred
That is true before activation Alfred, but after activation you can. I have had US fighters and bombers at Shikuka on Sakhalin for six months (it is Russian).
Can't recall if I used any original Soviet bases though. I may have transferred some of the US fighters via China and Vladivostok.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Shikuka is not a Soviet base.  Look at the country code.

Alfred
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Shikuka is not a Soviet base.  Look at the country code.

Alfred
Ok, I understood you to mean any base with a soviet flag on it. I did not know they keep their country identity when they are conquered. I will experiment in my game with flying to original soviet bases. I should point out that I can get other nations' ships repaired and loaded at Vladivostok, but for unknown reasons they are stingy with fuel! [8|].
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

The rules include no refuelling at a Soviet base for any Allied non-Soviet ship.  Also if you land a non-Soviet LCU at a Soviet base (only possible after Soviet activation) you can't move the LCU out of the base.

These are all in the patch notes.

All bases retain their original nationality.  That is determined by the country code.  The base flag indicates the current controlling HQ, not the country code which never changes.

Alfred
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Many thanks for the explanation Alfred. Once again the details of this game impress me.
FWIW I started up the game and tried to fly a Chinese Hudson squadron to Borzya, and even after changing the HQ to Soviet Far East Command they could not transfer - just as you said. [&o]

The message for non-transfer is not very informative : "Unit could not be transferred because the destination base is unreachable" . That text also is used if weather is too poor and maybe other reasons (wrong HQ, departure base over 50% AF damage?). A reason code that mentioned the word "country" would have clued the player in better. But since it is a very rare circumstance I can understand the reasons.
traskott

Post by traskott »

Thanks boys, good to know it.

I will try to make some tests ( named, invade Manchuria and link with China ) to see if supplies flow.

Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Since the December 2009 patch (patch #2), supplies do not move from a Soviet base to a Chinese base when the Soviets remain inactive.

After Soviet activation the standard supply movement routines should be in operation.

Alfred 
Ambassador

Post by Ambassador »

Alfred
Thank you ![&o]

But sorry to hear that.

Return to “The War Room”