Is anyone buying John Tiller games?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Raikkonen

Is anyone buying John Tiller games?

Post by Raikkonen »

Was just looking through the Tiller site. I have many of his games from HPS days and saw the new Panzer Battles games. I'm intrigued by the scale - between Squad Battles and Panzer Campaigns. Once he broke away from HPS and went download only, I did not think I would buy another since I prefer the physical CD. Call me old school I guess. Wondered if anyone has tried these or even purchased anything since he went on his own.
elmo3

RE: Is anyone buying John Tiller games?

Post by elmo3 »

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

I bought Campaign Overland last year. Not a particularly exciting game despite the incredibly huge map. Still prefer Campaign Gettysburg as the only "real" campaign in the series.

I'm a bit concerned that some of his patches are now for the JTS versions of the ACW and Napoleonic series. They won't work with the HPS versions and HPS hasn't provided equivalent patches yet. Campaign Waterloo and Campaign Antietam are examples of JTS only patches. I am not going to buy the JTS versions just to get the minor enhancements though despite my love for these games.
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
76mm

Post by 76mm »

The most active community for the Panzer Campaigns and Panzer Battles series seems to be on the Blitz website. I don't have either of the Panzer Battles titles, but from what I've seen they are very popular.

Also, I would reconsider your refusal to buy download-only games, I find them much more convenient--I get them right away, and can back them up easily by putting them into a free storage account in the cloud (google drive, drop box, etc.). Super-easy.
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

I mostly buy and play the JTS games on my iPAD / Android tablet.

Very cool to have a "real" war game on the mobile platform.

I bought Budapest 45 from JTS and still play that on the PC.

I will buy Panzer Battles Kursk when my bonus hits.

But this will be after DC3, Final Blitzkrieg and WiTE ....

Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
Talon_XBMCX

Post by Talon_XBMCX »

I would highly recommend both Panzer Battle titles. Battles of Normandy is the latest release ... early December if I remember correctly ... really an enjoyable series. Combines the best of Panzer Campaigns and Squad Battles.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

I plan to buy Leipzig Campaign.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Raikkonen

Post by Raikkonen »

One thing about the Tiller store...there seems to be NO cance of EVER getting a coupon or sale. Good links above. Thank you. I a going to read a bit more but leaning toward a purchase.
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

I got Battles of Normandy for Christmas.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

the new Battles of Normandy game is excellent. Most useful discussion of the game is here on the blitz: http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/ ... hp?fid=280
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I went with the newer HPS games of ancient history instead of following Tiller. Those games have been a lot more fun an challenging than his.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

I have not bought anything recently of his, but he is one of the best strategy game designers in our gaming world [&o]. I'm going to check out his offerings this weekend!

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
jimi3

Post by jimi3 »

I have purchased several of John Tiller's new titles and I really enjoy them. The download is no big deal, just back them up. The support team is spot on with communications, if you have any questions. The new Normandy game is very well done with extensive unit documentation. I particularly like East Prussia '14 and Kursk-Southern Flank. Overland Campaign is great because I'm a Civil war nut.
Cheers, Jim
berto

Post by berto »

I own Pacific War and The Proud and the Few (Squad Battles), Guadalcanal (Naval Battles), Middle East '67 (Panzer Campaigns), The Renaissance (Musket and Pike), and a recently purchased Battles of Normandy (Panzer Battles). (Also the old BGS ACW & Napoleonics bundles that Matrix Games now markets.)

I have all of the Civil War Battles Mobile Apps, and all 12 of the Civil War Battles series games -- the heart of my war gaming collection. If there are any must-buy, day-one war game purchases for me, they are surely any new JT Civil War Battles release. Fulfilling a life-long dream, they are.

I guess you could call me a John Tiller fan. [8D]
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

I have 17 of the Tiller Games from when he was selling through HPS
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
jimi3

Post by jimi3 »

+1 to that !!! I neglected to mention that his mobile apps are about the only real military simulations that will work on Kindle Fire.
Cheers, Jim
rocketman71

Post by rocketman71 »

ORIGINAL: DonCzirr

I mostly buy and play the JTS games on my iPAD / Android tablet.

Very cool to have a "real" war game on the mobile platform.

I bought Budapest 45 from JTS and still play that on the PC.

I will buy Panzer Battles Kursk when my bonus hits.

But this will be after DC3, Final Blitzkrieg and WiTE ....

I've been looking for a Tiller game for my iPad. Any recommendations where to start (beginner to his designs) - anything WWII will do.
philabos

Post by philabos »

If you search the App Store for John Tiller, believe there are at least two freebies you can download and try out.
The cost of the rest all seem to be $3 so not much risk.
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

ORIGINAL: warrenup

If you search the App Store for John Tiller, believe there are at least two freebies you can download and try out.
The cost of the rest all seem to be $3 so not much risk.

Yep - the actual free Panzer Campaigns game on IOS or Android is the best place to start for JTS on mobile.

They actually put you through "Panzer School" and then you graduate to a few full campaign scenarios.

After that - there are no "bad" JTS mobile games - although I have only played the PC and MC (modern) titles. (no Civil War)
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

The new Panzer Battles Normandy is (one of) the best yet. There's so much stuff in PDF form included, the research would cost you hundreds. And it finally looks decent. Wish they would patch all of them to this new standard, but realize the difficultly.

I have both HPS Total War (Blitzkrieg and Southern Front) series, and they still need a CD in the drive. C'mon HPS. If you don't mind your drive buzzing, Southern Front is fairly innovative. Quicker (division(-)combat and the maps and OOBs included from Europe and Med. So you can have the Slavs fighting Denmark in the desert [:)]

Return to “General Discussion”