Royal Engineers

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

KWG

Royal Engineers

Post by KWG »

Would all the British Engineers have worn the Royal Engineer badge? Or a individual unit badge?

as in VIII Corps Royal Engineer Battalion, etc.

Attachments
eng.jpg
eng.jpg (62.5 KiB) Viewed 301 times
"A word was said - a mare is standing by the fence."
RedLancer

RE: Royal Engineers

Post by RedLancer »

Yes they would wear the RE Capbadge but not that one which is for Queen Elizabeth's reign. You need the George VI badge.

Attachments
eng_cap.gif
eng_cap.gif (12.77 KiB) Viewed 301 times
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

They would have a RE cap badge, but might have worn a divisional shoulder flash. "VIII corps RE Bn" is a game simplification, the actual troops would be made up of various companies and so on. The first one I can find is V Corps in Apr '43 (from Wiki)
V Corps Troops, Royal Engineers
42nd Field Company
564th Field Company
565th Field Company
751st Field Company
215th Corps Field Park Company
22nd Mechanical Equipment Platoon
586th Army Field Company
85th Company, South African Engineer Corps (Camouflage detachment)
I have a cunning plan, My Lord
KWG

Post by KWG »

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

Yes they would wear the RE Capbadge but not that one which is for Queen Elizabeth's reign. You need the George VI badge.

Yep made me noticed Ive grabbed the wrong one. Had several download.
KWG

Post by KWG »

They would have a RE cap badge, but might have worn a divisional shoulder flash.

Was thinking that as even though they were attached out, they still considered themselves all together the same Engineer unit.
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

British Army cap badges are always owning regiment/Battalion or branch for the support units. Confusingly these are called 'corps' - as in the Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, RAOC, etc, etc. These are not the same as corps as a field formation (VIII Corps etc).

Ah, and officers of these units all have different mess (formal) dress - unlike RAF or RN which are all the same (well, one for RAF, one for RN!). Army HQ messes (as opposed to infantry battalion or tank Regt messes) are a blaze of colours and styles. I have visited tri-service establishments, and once one RAF guy was talking to a RN one about army messes, and he said that some Army HQ messes were like going to a pajama party!

Confusing. But you have to remember there is no such thing as the British Army. Just a collection of Regiments and Corps.
KWG

Post by KWG »

ORIGINAL: HMSWarspite

British Army cap badges are always owning regiment/Battalion or branch for the support units. Confusingly these are called 'corps' - as in the Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, RAOC, etc, etc. These are not the same as corps as a field formation (VIII Corps etc).

Ah, and officers of these units all have different mess (formal) dress - unlike RAF or RN which are all the same (well, one for RAF, one for RN!). Army HQ messes (as opposed to infantry battalion or tank Regt messes) are a blaze of colours and styles. I have visited tri-service establishments, and once one RAF guy was talking to a RN one about army messes, and he said that some Army HQ messes were like going to a pajama party!

Confusing. But you have to remember there is no such thing as the British Army. Just a collection of Regiments and Corps.

A Cammy and Jammy party.LOL

Its a confusing system Iam finding out. the Commandos have ALL KINDS of insignia.

Redid the Engineers. What is the R.E.M.E ? how does the new one look?

Here are some of the US TD units. Dang Should have put this thread put it in mods section, will do that when a good collection is done.

Attachments
ttttt.jpg
ttttt.jpg (652.55 KiB) Viewed 301 times
cmunson

Post by cmunson »

You guys know your stuff. Enjoyable read.

Question: why no British labor support troops to speak of (except two RR repair units)? Is it because Britain relied on local levies around the empire for that role but for whatever reason did not bring such units to Europe? I seem to remember reading about large levies being used in Asia for construction, road work, etc.
Chris
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

Looking really good. Are you also adding the Hvy Panzer Abteilung and Stug Abt insignia ?

No need to add the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers who fix equipment and don't have a specific unit in game. Other than the RE and Armd Car Regiments you'll only need the Artillery. Royal Artillery and Royal Horse Artillery have different capbadges. You could use some of the AA Formation patches - see here: http://www.petergh.f2s.com/flashes.html

Labour Support was a Pioneer Corps function. Not sure why Trey didn't add more - probably because most of these units were Company sized and not battalions.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
KWG

Post by KWG »

ORIGINAL: chris.munson

You guys know your stuff. Enjoyable read.

Question: why no British labor support troops to speak of (except two RR repair units)? Is it because Britain relied on local levies around the empire for that role but for whatever reason did not bring such units to Europe? I seem to remember reading about large levies being used in Asia for construction, road work, etc.

I saw a British RR engineer unit insignia while looking for the others.
KWG

Post by KWG »

Looking really good. Are you also adding the Hvy Panzer Abteilung and Stug Abt insignia ?

No need to add the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers who fix equipment and don't have a specific unit in game. Other than the RE and Armd Car Regiments you'll only need the Artillery. Royal Artillery and Royal Horse Artillery have different capbadges. You could use some of the AA Formation patches - see here: http://www.petergh.f2s.com/flashes.html

Labour Support was a Pioneer Corps function. Not sure why Trey didn't add more - probably because most of these units were Company sized and not battalions.

Thanks.

Ive got the Hvy Panzer Abteilung and Stug Abt insignia pics, with some converted for game.

The problem with my filing system might be "New Folder(1000000001)" [;)]
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

My Dad was in REME. It is quite right that they should not be in game as discrete units. They are support units, and are either in LAD (Light Air Detachments) embedded in mechanised units, or workshops (which come in various sizes right up to Base Workshop in the deep rear). Good job really as they have a naff capbadge until 1947!

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”