Turn times?

AGEod goes back to the Napoleonic era and delivers the most detailed and comprehensive strategy game ever created about a time of struggle and conquest that forged modern Europe.
ASHBERY76

Turn times?

Post by ASHBERY76 »

I love the look of this game but the long turn times really get on my nerves in their previous games.What is the average later game in this.
Queeg

RE: Turn times?

Post by Queeg »

Depends on your PC, as well as the scenario and length of play. Turn times are definitely better than PoN or TEAW were on their release, but still not snappy. On short scenarios, I average maybe 90 seconds. On the longer campaigns, turns get longer deeper into the campaign - maybe 2 minutes or so.
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

That's super fast. It takes me much longer than that just to check out all the messages especially if there are a fair number that cross refer to their map locations. That's for the grand campaign and a pbem game but I assume an AI one would have similar demands.

Queeg

Post by Queeg »

ORIGINAL: Ironclad

That's super fast. It takes me much longer than that just to check out all the messages especially if there are a fair number that cross refer to their map locations. That's for the grand campaign and a pbem game but I assume an AI one would have similar demands.

I meant 2 minutes or so processing time - time waiting between turns.
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

LOL my misunderstanding.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

ORIGINAL: Queeg

Depends on your PC, as well as the scenario and length of play. Turn times are definitely better than PoN or TEAW were on their release, but still not snappy. On short scenarios, I average maybe 90 seconds. On the longer campaigns, turns get longer deeper into the campaign - maybe 2 minutes or so.

Yeah that was my fear.I would play long campaigns.I really don't have the patience for looking at a screen for that long.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

ORIGINAL: Queeg

Yeah that was my fear.I would play long campaigns.I really don't have the patience for looking at a screen for that long.

I don't either. But I have a TV with a PS3 and a small library in the computer room. So if it gets intolerable I just do something else.

I'd clean the guns I shot earlier in the day waiting on PoN.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

In the end I rather came to like the long turn processing in PoN - I was painting a room with very high (2.5m) ceilings, so could set a turn to start, go up and paint one brush worth, come down, do the interactive part of the turn and then go back up again ... it was oddly quite efficient for both tasks

As far as I've got into the WoN grand campaign, I'm not finding turn resolution to be that big an issue. As WoN doesn't have the range of economic transactions of PoN (and some caching routines have been improved) its ok given how much the AI needs to do
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: loki100

In the end I rather came to like the long turn processing in PoN - I was painting a room with very high (2.5m) ceilings, so could set a turn to start, go up and paint one brush worth, come down, do the interactive part of the turn and then go back up again ... it was oddly quite efficient for both tasks

As far as I've got into the WoN grand campaign, I'm not finding turn resolution to be that big an issue. As WoN doesn't have the range of economic transactions of PoN (and some caching routines have been improved) its ok given how much the AI needs to do

I've played SPI's War in the East with people who've made PoN at its slowest seem like Warp 5.

Maybe I should fire up PoN now that I have an I5-6600K and see how long it takes. Though I don't think it would make much of a difference......
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

actually the last patch improved processing times quite a bit, they revised how it caches and accesses some information.

problem is it is never going to be quick (not till we are all using much faster computers than now) due to amount of processing going on. It was a brilliant decision to reject Paradox's idiotic 'world market' concept from Victoria but tracking each trade on a 1:1 basis inevitably slows turn processing
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

actually the last patch improved processing times quite a bit, they revised how it caches and accesses some information.

problem is it is never going to be quick (not till we are all using much faster computers than now) due to amount of processing going on. It was a brilliant decision to reject Paradox's idiotic 'world market' concept from Victoria but tracking each trade on a 1:1 basis inevitably slows turn processing

Does the game use multicores?
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

Does the game use multicores?

no ... or at least not as far as I know, PoN came out before that was a readily available solution - certainly at a time when you couldn't rely on it being suported by most machines. And of course its one of those things you really need to code in right from the start rather than adapt to
Pocus

Post by Pocus »

The game uses one core for map scrolling and one core for the rest. If you set CPU affinities in such way that CPU 0 is not for PON and 1+ are, then the first core can be for Windows background tasks. This is the best way to optimize PON on your end.
AGEOD Team

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”