Question on naval strafing

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

RichardAckermann

Question on naval strafing

Post by RichardAckermann »

Since I ran out of air dropped torps, I shipped some army bombers down to Lunga to aid in keeping those pesky allied at a distance.
They are set to naval strafing at 100 feet.
I noticed that the info on the "Sally" unit says it would use 4x 250 kg bomb, but in combat they use only one, while "Nick" seemed to use 2 bombs as the AF info said.

I do not have a problem with that, but out of pure curiosity: Why does Sally only use only 1 bomb, while Nick does not? Some emancipation issue?
PaxMondo

RE: Question on naval strafing

Post by PaxMondo »

bombers, which are not attack bombers like the Sally, will only use 50% of bomb load when strafing. If this is done at long range, which also has a 50% bomb load malus, the two factors will both apply to give you only 25% of bomb load, or one 250kg bomb.
Pax
RichardAckermann

Thanks for the info. I think the range was 6 and 3 for the Sally so far. I will go and check if this was just too far for them.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Max range of the Sally is 12.
But I thought the penalty for using non-attack bombers on LowNav at 1000 feet or less was more than 50%?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
RichardAckermann

Attacking at 1000 feet did not reduce payload if I have remembered it right. They just did not hit anything at that altitude.

My Lily and Ida units are also using only 1 bomb on strafing. Attack range was 2 hexes. The range should not cause additional halfing then, right?

Attachments
proof 2.jpg
proof 2.jpg (107.79 KiB) Viewed 47 times
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

If the airbase is too small this will have an effect on bomb-load as well. Check the manual top of p163. "Level bombers flying out of small airfields...". Chances are this is your problem.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Max range of the Sally is 12.
But I thought the penalty for using non-attack bombers on LowNav at 1000 feet or less was more than 50%?

It isn't a percentage, it means that they can't use anything except their "Extended" load.

ORIGINAL: rustysi

If the airbase is too small this will have an effect on bomb-load as well. Check the manual top of p163. "Level bombers flying out of small airfields...". Chances are this is your problem.

It could be this, except that the stated penalties for flying from an airfield that is too small are that your planes will fly out to normal range only and as if on extended range when it comes to the ordnance.

Or it could be that you are using bombers at 100 feet, which is strafing. You noted that the Nick carried the 2 bombs, as advertised. The Nick is not a bomber - it is a fighter(-bomber). It is an airframe that was essentially intended for use at 100 feet, so does not suffer penalties based on altitude when on attack missions. Searching the manual for "straf" (so as to pick up both strafe and strafing), I did not find anything pertinent to this question. I've never used bombers that weren't also attack bombers at 100 feet, so have never had cause to find out.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

It could be this, except that the stated penalties for flying from an airfield that is too small are that your planes will fly out to normal range only and as if on extended range when it comes to the ordnance.

Right, so the Sally's normal load is 4-250k. Extended would be 2-250k. Low level 1-250k. At least as I see it.
I've never used bombers that weren't also attack bombers at 100 feet, so have never had cause to find out.

Me either, but evidently it can be done.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
RichardAckermann

Lunga has an airfield size 5, I think. I'll check this and report back as soon as I can.
It could be overstacked yet. Can this affect payload if being the case?
I'm curious to find out what is going on here.
This game has an addictive level of complexity.

I use naval strafing ever since I play the game. You take a bit more losses, but LBs seem to be more effective. You can also attack small craft like PT boats. At least that worked with early versions. Had no chance to try it with recent betas.
I also use to tear appart DDs and other hard targets by a swarm of fighters. Once hit a DD with Oscars and Zeros: ~100 shell and 40 small bomb hits. It did not make it back home.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: RichardAckermann

Lunga has an airfield size 5, I think. I'll check this and report back as soon as I can.
It could be overstacked yet. Can this affect payload if being the case?
I'm curious to find out what is going on here.
This game has an addictive level of complexity.

I use naval strafing ever since I play the game. You take a bit more losses, but LBs seem to be more effective. You can also attack small craft like PT boats. At least that worked with early versions. Had no chance to try it with recent betas.
I also use to tear appart DDs and other hard targets by a swarm of fighters. Once hit a DD with Oscars and Zeros: ~100 shell and 40 small bomb hits. It did not make it back home.
Level bombers require an airfield equal to size 4 + (bomb load / 6500) rounded down. Thus, an A-20A requires a minimum size 4 base, a B17-E requires a minimum size 5 base, and a B29 requires a minimum size 7 base to avoid penalties.

enalties include:

Increased operational losses on takeoff.
A reduction in their range as air units cannot fly combat Missions at greater than their normal range.
A diminished (extended range) bomb load.

Overloading and Overstacking

If a base has less Aviation Support than is required, level bomber offensive missions are reduced by 25%.

If an Airfield has too many aircraft (physical space) or groups (administrative) present, then the airfield is deemed overstacked. And is indicated by an ‘*’ next to the airfield.

An overstacked airfield affects how many aircraft can be launched, casualties from attacks and aircraft repairs.

Note that a 9+ airfield does not suffer from overstacking.

Refer to: http://witp-ae.wikia.com/wiki/Airfields

Not sure if something in the patches has changed, yet. Sure Alfred will come along with the revision of the manual soon.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
RichardAckermann

I made screenshot of Lunga. Airfield is even bigger than I remembered. Supply was in the white numbers when the last naval strafing took place.

No overstacking.
No shortage in aviation support.
Range of 2 hexes should not have caused another 50% reduction.

My LBs are still only using 25% / 1 bomb.
What am I missing?

Attachments
proof2.jpg
proof2.jpg (127.22 KiB) Viewed 47 times
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Well, you could try raising the altitude to 1000 feet to see if they begin using more bombs, to see if the 100ft altitude setting is in fact the "problem" [;)].
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Well, you could try raising the altitude to 1000 feet to see if they begin using more bombs, to see if the 100ft altitude setting is in fact the "problem" [;)].
Now I got it... was Richard using level bombers for strafing runs? Holy smoke... anyway, OT@Lokasenna: Do you know who the bloke was/is who did the DaBabes extended map Guadalcanal? I love this limited theatre scenario the most (haven't started a GC game ever!) and it seems to be suited to enlarge it as in... to cover the events of Operation Cartwheel... which brings me to another point, some info about the arrival/departure of ships... most OOB for land forces and the air groups are available...

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
RichardAckermann

Thanks Lokasenna, perfect advice. I remembered to have read some thing about that in the FAQ for Newb's after the first reply, but I did not realise this was meaning 2 consecutive penalties for every level below 2000.
FAQ (in parts)

- Group altitude: <1K - low level attack
- Group altitude: 1-9K - normal horizontal attack
- Group altitude: 10-15K -diving attack
- Group altitude: 16-19K - glide attack
- Group altitude: 20+ normal horizontal attack
The attacks are based on altitude flown.

7.2.1.7 AIR UNIT TARGETS:

A Land Based Aircraft which is not classed as an attack-bomber and flies a low level mission will fly with half the usual bomb load.

I owe all of you gratitude for honoring my stupid question with enlightenment...but...I already got a new one. (sorry)
My CS Chitose and Chiyoda are to refit to CVL, but they do not start. Refit is "yes" upgrade is available. Minimum shipyard size is 50. They are disbanded at Hiroshima/Kure with 356 naval and 100 repair shipyard.
What am I missing this time?
kjnoel

Post by kjnoel »

They will only convert in Tokyo. If you leave their airgroups on-board they will convert to fighter and bombers, which you may or may not realize.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

CS can only be converted in Tokyo.
Pax
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

For details on Japanese ship conversions/upgrades, read my posts in this thread.
&nbsp;
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3819690&mpage=1&key=conversion&#3819792
&nbsp;
Alfred
RichardAckermann

Perfect answers. Thanks!

I would like to suggest that this is added to the FAQ for Newb's here:
14..1 - SHIP UPGRADES & CONVERSIONS
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

Is it possible that exp/skill and/or supply shortages at bases can also affect this "only half of bombload" phenomen. Cause I used Sallies from Burma fields but on normal altitude (5-8k) and they would take only 2x250kg with them (also normal range!). Now I checked and at least one AF has size 4 there (which should be enough for 2E bombers). However all the bases have supply shortages most of the times also 1 of the units had quite weak pilot stats. ??

Return to “The War Room”